Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Tiki Hut Roof Design Help
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki Hut Roof Design Help
rterry

Posted: 2011-07-16 7:40 pm   Permalink

Ya ka'lenatiki, it is a bit deceptive but thanks to the guy for really showing clear pics of what he did...

anyway, you originally said 2 by 6 single for a 10ft by 6 ft structure should be okay... you think if I did 2 by 8 for the basic roof frame/top plate/ ceiling joist (whatever you want to call it) would definitely be sufficient?

Thanks for your help

On a side not, I am not doing a full roof, i have minimal snow load to deal with and just throwing thatch and felt paper across the rafters... not doing the full roof that he did...

View Profile of rterry Send a personal message to rterry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sur2baja
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-16 10:57 pm   Permalink

In the East and Midwest, people tend to double up 2X's but on the West Coast we tend to use the bigger lumber and not double up. I have no idea why. Now I don't have to deal with snow loads being on the left coast but I would I suggest refer to your local building requirements, look at your span table and use what is required by code. Again, go heavier than anticipated. You wont have sagging or deflection.
For a good discussion on roof dynamics read on:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=27536&forum=1

View Profile of sur2baja Send a personal message to sur2baja      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation