FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Modern Caveman Cocktails: Low Carb 'Paleo' Drink Recipes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Modern Caveman Cocktails: Low Carb 'Paleo' Drink Recipes
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 09:33 am   Permalink

BTW, I find DaVinci Sugar Free syrup to be fantastic.

We found
sugar free honey online and it mixes like honey syrup.

I have now made sugar free cinnamon syrup with good results and I am in the process of making SF allspice dram and falernum. I have yet to see if the SF syrup I created using packets of sweetener stayed mixed. I'll know tonight. I would not leave these un-refridgerated. I may use the DaVinci from now on in all of them.

Even though lime juice has a couple of carbs, many feel it is essentially carb neutral due to it's glycemic index.

In general, the drinks so far have not suffered.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 10:48 am   Permalink

Well, now that I've seen it, and I'm trying to e somewhat healthy, I have to try it.
I've got some DaVinci on the way, thanks Swanky.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 10:26 am   Permalink

I have learned while on a low carb diet to be careful with the booze. I get drunk much faster. I had assumed it was the diet's fault, and I still think that has somethign to do with it, but it turns out it also may be the drink.

Sugar free mixers make you drunker.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 1:52 pm   Permalink

@Swanky.

That's funny, I happened to catch that article at work and had to close it before the big boss-man saw and didn't get a chance to read it. Thanks for posting it.

Also, that explains a LOT of drunken nights for me, since I only drink diet soda. Mea culpa, I guess.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-21 5:15 pm   Permalink

I don't know if you all are still on the low carb thing or not but.. Which of the syrups do you prefer, the Monin or the Davinci? Also have you tried any of the Baja Bob's mixers? Most of their stuff is zero carb.

Thanks
Storm

[ This Message was edited by: stormrider 2013-08-22 19:20 ]

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 9:12 pm   Permalink

I'm still pretty much living low carb,... with occasional brief excursions to the dark side.
I think Swanky likes Da Vinci. I prefer the Monin Sugar-free syrups, over DaVinci and Torani. Personal preference, I guess, but I thought Monin had a more natural, richer taste. They are more expensive, though. I order online from
moninstore.com - free shipping on $15+ orders.
The items I always keep in stock (all sugar-free) are their Sugar Free Sweetener (bar syrup), Triple Sec (curacao), Almond (Orgeat), Peach and Pomegranate (grenadine). I also have Vanilla, Chocolate and White Chocolate.
Haven't tried Baja Bob's mixers... looks interesting, maybe I'll see which I can find locally. My wife prefers an easy mixer to a "complicated" recipe.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-08-21 21:21 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-22 7:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info Limbo. Does their bar syrup have that "splenda" taste or is more "natural"

Thanks again

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 9:04 pm   Permalink

I thought Monin had a 'natural' taste,... and I was scrutinizing! They use a mix of Sorbitol (Splenda) and Erythritol, and some thickeners, to produce a product that much resembles a bar syrup base, and works well as a cocktail ingredient. My opinion.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-08-22 21:33 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 09:31 am   Permalink

I have only had the DaVinci, so...

Been low carb since December, but since doing a lot of mixing with the low carb stuff, we have decided it is generally better to use real sugar and mix the recipes that are naturally low carb. Get the full flavor.

I have since recalculated and I think the 34 Zombie Punch is probably closer to 5.5 carbs.

I mix up pitchers of low carb Margaritas a lot making my own triple sec sub by using vodka, SF syrup and orange extract/emulsion. Works pretty well.

Low Carb Pitcher of Margarita

6 oz Tequila
2 ounces fresh squeezed lime juice
2 ounces vodka
3/4 ounce SF syrup
a few drops of orange extract
Fill with ice and blend smooth

Produces about 4 glassfuls.

Been on the Induction Phase for three weeks now. Down about 4-5 pounds. Rewarding ourselves with Zombies, or Swanky Swizzles, Navy Grogs, Black Magic or Jet Pilots later!

Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 07:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-28 21:42, Limbo Lizard wrote:
I gathered 16 bottles of original Lemon Hart 80, yesterday, to add to the case I'd all ready socked away. (The 151 has not been available in Texas for many years, but may be coming, soon.) So, comfortable that I could loosen up a bit with my hoard, I celebrated with a (well, two, really) low-carb Queen's Park Swizzle:

Queen's Park Swizzle (low carb version, only 1 grams carb):
Juice of lime
ounce Monin Sugar Free Sweetener
Mint leaves
2 dashes Angostura bitters
1 ounce Lemon Hart 80
1 ounce dark Jamaican rum
1 ounce Cruzan or Puerto Rican 151 rum

Put several mint leaves, sweetener syrup, lime juice and bitters in a tall glass. Add some crushed ice, and mix/muddle a bit. Fill glass to top with crushed ice, add rum, and mix/agitate with a spoon, until glass frosts. Enjoy.

(If you have Lemon Hart 151, use that and 80 Cruzan or Puerto Rican rum.)

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2011-11-27 13:30 ]

Aren't there a lot of carbs in the rum's that you are using?

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 10:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-25 07:03, Dapuma1 wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-08-28 21:42, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Queen's Park Swizzle (low carb version, only 1 grams carb):
Juice of lime
ounce Monin Sugar Free Sweetener
Mint leaves
2 dashes Angostura bitters
1 ounce Lemon Hart 80
1 ounce dark Jamaican rum
1 ounce Cruzan or Puerto Rican 151 rum

Put several mint leaves, sweetener syrup, lime juice and bitters in a tall glass. Add some crushed ice, and mix/muddle a bit. Fill glass to top with crushed ice, add rum, and mix/agitate with a spoon, until glass frosts. Enjoy.

(If you have Lemon Hart 151, use that and 80 Cruzan or Puerto Rican rum.)

Aren't there a lot of carbs in the rum's that you are using?

Hmm, very good question, actually, and one I've wondered about - but not enough to do any serious research, I guess. (If you're referring to the alcohol, of course it represents calories, but it isn't processed and metabolized like carbs, so that's not a big issue.)

Obviously, they must add sugar in sweet flavored and spiced rums (e.g., Malabu, Capt. Morgan, etc.). And surely there is blackstrap molasses added to Cruzan Blackstrap.

But do (any) distillers add sugar to their "traditional" rums? I don't know the answer, but expect that some might add a little, and most don't. I read that many use some caramel coloring (burnt sugar), if only to even up the color of the rum, and achieve a consistent appearance, from batch to batch. But I don't think that's significant, carb-wise. But it might be in some very dark colored rums - like Myers's - that could require quite a bit of caramel, and do have a noticeable sweetness. Then, again, Coruba is as dark as Myers's, but not nearly as sweet. So maybe Myers's sweetness is not from the caramel color, but from... brown sugar?
Perhaps Swanky, or someone else, with more specific knowledge of various distiller's practices, can enlighten us. Or, maybe we should pose the question to Ed Hamilton, at Ministry of Rum.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-11 09:49 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the info guys. I have a diabetic dinner guest coming and this has been very helpful

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-11 10:14 am   Permalink

FYI: With summer coming, I now use an old bitters bottle for my orange extract and a dash is just about right for a pitcher of Margaritas. 1-2 depending on your taste for orange.

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-18 11:50 am   Permalink

A few posts back, the question of sugar added to rum was brought up, without any answers. David "Professor Cocktail" Montgomery ('djmont'), on page 2 of another thread, provided some info. He posted a link to another forum, where the added sugar content of a number of rums was given. Some are zero or just a few grams per liter - not enough to consider. But some contain 17, 29, even up to 46 grams per liter! That's from 1/2 to over a gram per ounce, enough that you should take it into account, when figuring total carb grams in a cocktail.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-18 11:55 am   Permalink

This information makes me want to take some of my rums and, with an eye dropper, deposit two or three drops of each on a clean plate to evaporate. I wonder how much would be left behind from each as the rum evaporated?

It's not scientific, but it would be very easy to do.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation