FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Drinks and Food ╗ ╗ Modern Caveman Cocktails: Low Carb 'Paleo' Drink Recipes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Modern Caveman Cocktails: Low Carb 'Paleo' Drink Recipes
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-19 9:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-18 11:55, AceExplorer wrote:
This information makes me want to take some of my rums and, with an eye dropper, deposit two or three drops of each on a clean plate to evaporate. I wonder how much would be left behind from each as the rum evaporated?

It's not scientific, but it would be very easy to do.

Actually, AceExplorer, that's a great idea for anyone with access to a good lab scale, accurate to one milligram. Weight a piece of filter paper or paper towel, then pour 1 milliliter of test rum onto the paper. Let it absorb, then evaporate, then weigh it again. How many more milligrams (if any) does the paper weigh? That's about how many grams of sugar per liter, for the test rum.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2014-07-20 10:17 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-21 07:18 am   Permalink

Thanks, LimboLizard. So a lab scale is one more thing I "need to buy" for my bar! lol...

Actually, I do use a small digital postal scale when I make my Falernum and other syrups. But that's not good enough for the type of test we're talking about here.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Drifter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-07-20 11:06 am   Permalink

Any other successful recipe tweaks? I've been finding I like the less-sweet tiki drinks in general, so I figure that bodes well for modding others into low carb versions.

View Profile of Tiki Drifter Send a personal message to Tiki Drifter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CosmoReverb
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 13 days ago; 6:50 pm   Permalink

Trying to narrow down my preferred blend for a low-carb, *almost* sugar-free Mai Tai. ("Almost" because I can't seem to give up on the real curacao. I know there are sugar-free syrups to approximate this butů y'know.)

Here are my current thoughts (if anyone is interested.) Basing it off Beachbum Berry's '44 Trader Vic recipe, I had been using both the Monin Sugar-Free Simple Syrup (which is great stuff for lo-carb folks) and their sugar-free Orgeat, but I have now switched to using the Torani Sugar-Free Orgeat. The Torani just seems to have a fuller flavor than the Monin which helps to fill up the hollowness that comes with sugar-free options and it also hlps mask that sucralose aftertaste. In that same train of thought I have also started cutting the fresh lime juice in half and making up the difference with Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice. Sacrlege I know, but it also seems to help fill in some of that "hollowness."

Now for the fun stuff. I had been using Meyers for the dark option but as my tastes matured a wee bit, I made the switch to Coruba. Strangely enough, I have recently started using Skipper's and I must confess that I am pleasantly surprised by how well it works. I had previously tried it in a non-sugar-free Mai Tai and didn't care for it that much, but it really seems to add something to the low-carb version.

So now my question. I have been using the Clement VSOP and was fairly happy with it, but lately I have been feeling that it adds too much of a medicine-y/antiseptic type flavor which gets really pronounced when you take away the sugar. So my question is, is this a flavor profile typical in all Martinique Rhums, or more specific to this particular one? Any recommendations before I blindly open my wallet?

View Profile of CosmoReverb Send a personal message to CosmoReverb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mmaurice
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 13 days ago; 8:08 pm   Permalink

Since we are bastardizing the hell out of it to get to the end result. I have been using the following.

1 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Sugar Free Syrup - I use DaVinci right now, Monin has a funky smell to it. Anybody got anything better bring it on.
2 Oz Rum - Any of your favorite Mai Tai Blends works. Trying to approximate TV her in ATL we use 1 - Myers 1 - Appleton Signature
1/4 tsp - Almond Extract
1/4 tsp - Orange Extract

Play with the extract ratios to get the taste you want.

View Profile of mmaurice Send a personal message to mmaurice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation