FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-02 04:53 am   Permalink

I have been looking over the art here on TC for a long time, and am frankly a little intimidated by all the massive amount of talent on here, but thought since time is on my hands it would be fun to try an attempt at a tiki painting. This will be a first for me in a lot of ways: my first big tiki art piece (I have done some small sized inconsequential things in the past), my first real painting on gesso wood, and my first attempt at using oils ( I am however doing all of the under painting in acrylics I am not ready yet for an all oil piece, but the acrylics just don't have the color vibrancy I am after alone so I figure both of them should work out).

I love underwater scenes, I have not done a lot of them but I have enjoyed trying to get the lights and shadows correct on what I have done in the past so figured I would make my first painting an underwater scene. Specifically a mermaid taking a "hot bubblebath" in a hydrothermal vent as a leering tiki looks on. Sorry if the picture of the pencils isn't very good I had to try and take it in the brightest room in the house (the bathroom) which is painted orange and makes everything have an orange tint. I hope I got the proportions right, I currently don't have an easel and have to tilt the piece in my lap to try and draw it. I still think the corners need balancing out somehow but overall the main pencils are in place so I will start painting on it soon. I am also going to put up a non-tiki cheesecake painting I did in sort of the same vein to give an idea of how the finished painting will look through my style. I still may re-work some of the non-tiki one (it is called "MS. Stacked Man!") so it's just to give an idea of style not really the final outcome. I hope it is okay to post the non-tiki one just for giving an idea of how the tiki one will look?

Let me know what you think please. I am excited to try and tackle this, I know it can't ever really be anywhere near the same league as many of the fantastic artists on here, but at least it will be a heck of a lot fun.

[

[ This Message was edited by: tigertail777 2014-06-27 00:49 ]

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-02 05:05 am   Permalink

Looks like a nice start to me! Looking forward to seeing it progress!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-02 06:10 am   Permalink

The sketch looks great and I love the concept. Can't wait to see the finished painting.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-02 10:04 pm   Permalink

Thanks MaddogMike and Zerostreet for the great comments.

I will be starting the actual painting tonight, but meanwhile thought I would share bits and pieces of some of my older Hawaiian themed work. I'll start with a bunch of pen and ink drawings I did that didn't wind up getting used for a college graduation project. These are tiger themed old school tiki bar drinks. Pen and ink is probably my favorite medium I love doing detailed cross hatching that resembles copperplate or wood block printing like you would see in old books. I use very old fashioned methods: quill pens that they stopped making sometime in the 60's, and an inkwell from around the 1930's, I even had a friend make me a rocking ink blotter to use. I am not sure anymore what all the drink names were except for the one with the grapefruit slice on top with three cherries impaled on toothpicks; its supposed to represent a tiger paw, so that is the name of it.

I still think it would be incredibly cool to have a "tiki tiger" mug like the one in this first set of drawings. I have never tackled making such a thing though and don't have the tools... perhaps some day.

The tiger Moai is a lot more subtle than most of them, if you closely on the upper lip you can see he has a little bit of a tiger muzzle, and his eyes are slanted like a felines.

Okay now back to work painting! Hope you enjoy the pen and ink drinks!

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-03 03:40 am   Permalink

Well some modicum of progress was made. Not much mind you, but a little. I am going to need to paint in a little more around her to understand the light sources a bit more, especially the hydrothermal vents. Right now I think there may be a bit too much red in the underside high lights. I want to have some light shimmer from above as well as the red from the vents, I may need to make some deeper shadows. Ah well, it's a start.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-03 7:03 pm   Permalink

Great drink sketches, add a little color and they'd work for a drink menu. But in keeping with the theme, the skull should be a sabre tooth tiger

The mermaid is coming along swimmingly

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-03 9:55 pm   Permalink

Now how did I miss something so obvious as a sabre tooth tiger skull? D'OH! Fantastic idea! Yeah originally these were for a mini portfolio that was going to look like a tiki bar menu. Time and money fell through before I could complete the project in time for my graduation evaluation. I also have some little Hawaiian themed tiger sculptures I did for the cover, I'll probably post 'em later.

Thanks for watching the progress I appreciate it. I have not done a lot of tiki oriented artwork because the large majority of my friends and family just don't get it, and it's no fun to make art that won't have some kind of audience viewing it eventually. I didn't think the tiki mania was such a widespread thing because I have never run across anyone who was much into it, and didn't really delve a lot into tiki central for quite some time because I thought it was just for historical tiki stuff. I also really am quite new to the world of fine art coming from a graphic design background, so never really knew that there was a tiki art niche of folks that love the old polynesian stuff. In short I thought I was the major weirdo out there.

I would love to go to a tiki happening sometime when I have the money, I was invited to the tiki crawl thing here locally through a email send out but didn't have the dough and am going through some health problems. So with this time on my hands and little else I thought I would finally release the tiki art in me and hope it finds an appreciative audience of some kind. I know it's not on par with much else on this site; I have never seen so many incredible artists crammed into one site like this, but hopefully it will raise a smile or two.

I kind of wish now I had made a more exotic sounding user name like "tiki tiger" or something. I did have a different account on here way back when with some other name but I can't recall what it was other than having tiger in it somewhere. But I posted even less, and as I said really didn't delve a lot into the entire board, I guess I just wasn't ready for all the different facets of the culture at that time, even now I find it pretty overwhelming. I absolutely love the art threads though it is so interesting to see all these different forms of art I never even considered, and love to hear and see the steps of what it took the artists to make them.

I guess as the B52's say: "There are others like you!" Okay enough with this gooey display of shi...emotions. Back to work.

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-05 02:30 am   Permalink

Made a little more progress: mainly blocking in colors to get a better idea of how the lighting should be. The colors you see are under painting colors though they are far from what the final colors will look like. I am having a hard time deciding a few things; should the tiki be stone or wood, and what color should the mermaid's hair be? Any thoughts or suggestions?

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-05 08:05 am   Permalink

I say RED hair for the mermaid! - blonde would blend in with the loofa, black or brown would blend in with the shadows. Looks good so far

TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-05 08:17 am   Permalink

I like what I see so far! Thanks for sharing in-process pics with us too

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-05 10:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the advice and kind words Maddogmike and TikiG, it means a lot to know there is someone watching. Unfortunately for a few nights I may not be able to work on the painting I have had a flare up of gout in my ankle. I have been seeing the doctor and an acupuncturist clinic, and been on an elimination diet to determine what foods trigger the gout...looks like wheat is one so I gotta remove all wheat from my diet. The trouble with trying to determine the causes brings on the gout (it has to logically so I know what works and doesn't) so right now the pain is mind numbing and I appear to be allergic to both medicines the doctor gave me so will have to tough it out and hobble around the house till it gets better.

Again, thanks for watching the progress and helping it means a lot to me right now.

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 6:45 pm   Permalink

Well it's been a little while. I was working on another little project which I will post here soon. I got a chance to get back to the painting last night. To be honest I am a little depressed with the outcome so far, I keep thinking how much better the anatomy would be if I just had a real model to work from. I can handle not having an easel, and not the best paints in the world, but oh if I only had a model, the photos I found online just are not cutting it.
Ah well, we make do with what we have right?
Something I think I really need to do for this painting is have a softer focus since it is underwater with hot light sources. This is going to be a challenge for me; I have never successfully done a soft focus painting, all of the ones I have done have always been sharp focus. But then again, what about this painting HASN'T been a new challenge? I also need to find better reference material for the tiki, not happy with it so far... too cartoony. I wanted it to have a little cartoon feel, sort of a Tex Avery "take", but with decently authentic tiki details. I sort of stopped on the tiki for now until I can find a photo to work with.

At least it is progressing. More updates soon.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-17 7:43 pm   Permalink

is that a subtle hint that you want some buxom babe to volunteer to be your model for this painting? I'm starting to get a pair of moobs (man-boobs) in my middle age but I don't think I qualify

Looks like progress to me, I think soft focus and somewhat muted colors is good for underwater. I have only been an "artist" for a very short while, but I don't think you are supposed to ever be completely satisfied with your work. If I ever did a piece I thought was perfect, I would probably quit while I was on top.

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 8:03 pm   Permalink

I'll pass on the moobs (though it does vaguely sound like a tiki name).

I just have always had a MAJOR struggle with anatomy. My dyslexic brain reverses things so looking in a mirror as most artists do really messes with my head. I recently read that Norman Rockwell not only had models, but he used a simple light projector to TRACE a lot of the details in the photos he used. No wonder he could do proportions and details so realistically. I kind of envy his having that sort of tool available. My anatomy is always off and it drives me crazy. I know if if I had a model to work from I could achieve so much more of my goals.

Of course to have a model, I would probably need a studio first.

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-19 01:46 am   Permalink

After finding this thread: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=31087&forum=1&start=0&hilite=1920s%20hawaii
I am terrified of admitting to whether I am truly creating tiki art or not, and want no part of the firestorm discussion regarding Hawaiiana VS: tiki, so have re-named my thread hoping and praying that my work is not scrutinized too much. I will be posting art I create related to tiki, but it may or may not actually feature tiki's in it. A lot of it will have some attempt at tiki's, but I can't guarantee they will actually meet specifications.

I know this sounds like "lawyer-ese" but seriously that thread had me wetting my pants and I don't want that kind of scrutiny in my work. Call it "Hawaiiana inspired Polynesian pop with an occasional attempt at tiki". Hopefully that is a loose enough term to apply.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation