FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-29 1:47 pm   Permalink

Wow wow wow, this is going great. Dan and I love animal prints and think of them as totally tiki. We like to mix them into our tiki rooms. Burlap is a perfect cover. You are really making this a terrific room. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-01 9:26 pm   Permalink

The aloha shirt shelf idea is great! I think a variety of different prints would be better than all one design.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-02 02:18 am   Permalink

Thanks for the feedback Wendy (Dan), and Mike!

I had a thought the other day I am going to try out: taking down the black velour and replacing it with more of the tiger stripe velour and maybe making ragged edges on purpose like a real skin would be. I will have to order more if it looks good, but that's okay.

I am also toying with the idea of ordering some fat quarters of Sophistatiki's cloth designs over on spoonflower, I have really liked her Hawaiian cloth designs for a while now and she uses the two colors I like the most: orange and aqua, plus her designs look very retro which would fit right into my 40's/50's theme.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-17 10:24 pm   Permalink

Update please, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-18 10:01 pm   Permalink

Thanks for asking about the status Wendy. I was going to update a few days ago but wanted to wait till I had more pics of what little there has been done.

Okay I take that back a lot has been done, it just feels like I am spinning my wheels because it is not going fast enough to suit me and I feel like I keep getting blocked at every turn. Must keep telling myself that Rome was not built in a day.

So the main progress that has been made is we have the electrical conduit laid and buried, and a lot of the electric boxes set up waiting for my Uncle to be able to take time out of his busy schedule to do all the proper hook ups and final stuff.

As for the decor, I nixed the black velvet and the tiger fur under the bamboo. Felt like it was just too much and left it bare wood. The place where the burlap is frayed and meets the edges I am toying with either using more bamboo, or getting wood slats as I said before and eventually carving tapa designs into them. I found more vintage Hawaiian fabric on ebay I liked, and am also in the process of ordering some from Sophistatiki (Dawn) from her Spoonflower site. And I found a few things also on ebay that I got good deals on that I am excited to put into the Tiki Tiger studio which I will show below.

First up: my brother in law, Mike helping dig the trench for laying the electrical conduit (it had to be 2 feet deep all the way). I helped dig too and had a pretty major asthma attack to the point of almost hallucinating. Had to have a lot of protein and sugar and cold water to get the attack calmed down and stop the dizziness. Our soil after the first foot or so is nearly pure clay and harder than heck to dig through. I learned that the hard way.

And my dad also digging (he did a large majority of the initial digging).

And the electrical box, it might be replaced with something smaller but we are not sure till my uncle comes out to look at it. I sure as heck am going to decorate that ugly box somehow it sticks out like a sore thumb.

More electrical wire running willy nilly along the beams. This one will end in a plug in for the overhead fluorescent lights, so it pretty near them.

This is the electrical conduit pipe going up from the ground and inside the building. Ugly as sin and will be covered by a tiki or something in the future.

Little hard to make out, but you can tell I got rid of the black velvet here and finally started putting on all of the end bamboo pieces.

Got the new Hawaiian fabric yesterday and starting putting some on today. (Thanks Mike for the suggestion of using more than one pattern I think it looks better that way too).

Close up of the fabric. Once I took pics I realized I installed it backwards to how I wanted it, but it was such a tight fit I am not doing it again.

I was a little sad that this small piece of fabric was all I could find of this pattern. I LOVE this pattern, I have always liked volcano imagery and it looks fantastic with that black tapa design. I have it cut but not installed yet I lost the sunlight before I could get it done.

I also covered the inside of the door with more of the pineapple fabric. I will be putting bamboo around the edges of the door to frame it and hold the cloth down. This will be the backdrop for one of the movie posters below which will hang on the inside of the door.
Before the fabric:

And after:

I found these vintage laminated placemats on ebay, they are very much like the burlap weave but have thin Koa wood design cutouts under the lamination. I had a brain flash when I saw them on ebay, and got very excited about it. Very happy I won them there are 25 in all plenty to play with though I will have to cut them a little to fit, which I feel a little bad about but they are damaged and brittle so I don't think they could be used for actual placemats anymore. They say "Waikiki Weave on the backs of them, and I would estimate they are from the 60's from the look of them.

I thought they would look really nice as a kind of runner along the tops of the wall once they are cut to fit (only cutting the burlap looking cloth parts not the Koa wood).

Finally, I got these two ORIGINAL movie posters which are 27X41 inches big each, and I gotta find frames for:

I could not resist this one. Too perfect for my Tiki Tiger studio.

Probably going to get metal frames with UV glass and then cover the metal with bamboo pieces. Hope I can find some decently cheap ones.
So now you are caught up on the progress of Tiki Tiger Studios. Hopefully by the next time I post there will be electricity and LIGHTS.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-18 10:15 pm   Permalink

Power is a good thing, great progress. I love how your family is involved. If they are anything like my family they are thinking that you are crazy but they want to help anyway

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-18 10:23 pm   Permalink

Mike that pretty much sums it up.
I have the excuse of being born in Honolulu though so my family always goes "well you know he was born there it's his thing". Though at the same time they roll their eyes and don't get it.

Either that or point out my early obsession with Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room.

danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-21 09:40 am   Permalink

tigertail777 you and your family have really gone the mile to get this far. The Tiki Hut looks fabulous. I like all your decorations. Thank you for all the photos. I enjoyed them all. Cheers, Wendy

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-26 6:06 pm   Permalink

Quick update: today my uncle came out and got the electric installed. So this will be the first weekend with power! Should get a lot done!

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-27 11:30 am   Permalink

LOVE the Hell's Half Acre poster!

I run by the old honolulu police department all the time (it is currently some boring office building), and the outlines of the cool arches that led to the police car garages are still there. It was SUCH a thrill to see old time-ey police cars zipping out into Chinatown through the arches in the movie. Your build-out is looking great!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-27 10:56 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks Vantiki! It's getting there, I will have more pics after this weekend.

Wanna know a funny thing? I have never seen "Hell's Half Acre" only clips here and there. When I was looking around for some appropriate 40's/50's stuff to put on the wall I wanted some kind of Noir type feel and ran across that poster for cheap on ebay and fell in love with it. One of these days I should pick up the DVD I bet its one WOW of a movie.

I wanted to put the "Voodoo Tiger" poster on the inside door of the studio, but I am little worried how much sunlight it would be exposed to constantly so I may need to find somewhere else to put it.

All in all the place is finally starting to look more like a studio and less of a construction zone/blast area.

danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-02 09:40 am   Permalink

Looking forward to more photos now that you have the POWER! Wendy

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-03 06:15 am   Permalink

Little more progress as I said before. Waiting on more supplies coming in the mail before I can go much farther. mainly I added the old placemats to the walls, and did more shelf wrapping with Hawaiian cloth.

You can also see my new studio toy a friend sent to me: an old 80's boombox that I can connect my phone to and play music over the awesome blaring speakers. I need to get a cd player that can play Mp3 discs (probably an old cd walkman) so I can connect that to it as well since I have so many cd's.

Close ups of the placemats. They are pretty neat; a sort of laminated burlap with koa wood cut out designs in the corners. I don't feel too bad about cutting them up as they were not in very good shape, but I saved a few whole ones for posterity. I glued them on the walls with liquid nails. If you use that stuff I found out its wise not to get it on your fingers. Hard for me to do since every art medium I dabble in I end up making a mess.

This volcano Hawaiian cloth is AWESOME I would love to have a shirt made of this, but these two small scraps are all I could find anywhere online. Funny thing is as you see them on the shelf and on top the caddy is the size they came in I didn't make any size adjustments or cutting they fit both exactly.

I only used this cloth on a few shelves. I wanted to make sure I had enough for the window curtains. This cloth is very special. I saw it on ebay about 4 years ago, it is a original Eames era barkcloth with tribal geometric patterns. I had no real use for it at the time, but thought "wouldn't that look great in a studio?" It was fairly cheap so I got it thinking to maybe one day use it in a studio. This was my "someday if that dream comes true" talisman, and sat around gathering dust in my bedroom and I would sigh whenever I saw it sitting there unused. A few times I thought "I'll never really get my own art studio, so I may as well use it for something else". But always decided not to, just hoping someday maybe I might get a studio to actually use it in. Much of the color scheme and theme for the new studio is derived from how it would look with this cloth. A friend is going to make the curtains for me, and I found some bamboo curtain rings online and will make a bamboo rod. I am hoping I will have enough leftover to cover part of my desk chair.

The new electric box (I am going to cover it somehow eventually at least the gray part, probably with magnets so the cover can be easily removed when needed). The placemats are not all in place here quite yet.

My oh so precise way of trying to make sure the placemets get glued down straight in a row: a long board on top of paint cans used a a straight edge and then taking a book and marking the place it lined up.

Electrical cords are not quite so messy now, but still an eyesore. So I got an idea from looking at photos of Wendy and Dan's place; cover the cords with fake jungle vines. Once I get the beams and such sorted out that is what I am going to do.

The studio so far as you come in the door. Its finally starting to look like a real studio.

That's all folks for now. Hopefully the stuff I ordered will come soon so I can work on it more.

danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-03 10:44 am   Permalink

Wow you have been working again. It does look like a studio and a fun one. Love your photos, Wendy

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-03 2:46 pm   Permalink

Making great progress Tigertail! I have some magnetic stock we use to print truck/car signs that would work over the grey electric box that you can have.. You can decorate any way you like and remove when you need to replace fuses, etc. Pop on by the shop if interested. Hope to see you at Hale Pele next Saturday.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation