FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 04:27 am   Permalink

What a treat to come home to comments after a hard days night slogging away at janitorial duties.

Thanks a bunch for the offer Cy, I will take you up on that. Hopefully I can make it to the Hale Pele event, going to certainly try, if I can't make it though I know where your work place is at least.

Yesterday I got one of the Hawaiian fabrics I have been waiting for so I can work on the hut a little. Am hoping that I get Sophistitiki's fabric soon that will be used to cover all the front shelves by the desk, it's a pretty nifty design and she went to some trouble to accommodate my request which I really appreciated.

Next, I need to order some 3 inch diameter 8 foot long bamboo poles (hoping to get one 4 inch one too). I have something unique and special in mind for them that I don't think I have seen anyone else do.

I already ordered around 1,000 bamboo paint stir sticks...you'll just have to wait and see what I do with those.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-04 06:48 am   Permalink

It is coming along so beautifully. I am with you on that wonderful vintage bark cloth. Really perfect stuff.

View Profile of Gwen Send a personal message to Gwen  Goto the website of Gwen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 07:56 am   Permalink

Your studio is really coming along nicely. It has a very nice tropical feel to it.

Your use of the placemats was really creative.

Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-06 05:06 am   Permalink

Got one other fabric I have been waiting for so got to do a modicum of extra work on the hut. I am putting loose draped fabric all over the ceiling, its supposed to look like the fabric coverings they use in the Lanai/que area of the Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland. But I am going to need to find about 12 more feet of appropriate Hawaiian fabric to finish.

This is looking upwards under the first part of the overhang rafters. I had that Enchanted Tiki Room cloth for years now I originally bought it for my theme park fanzine so I could use the pattern for the Tiki Room issue, it is one of the original patterns that the hostesses/hosts would wear in the attraction with a tie into United Airlines the original sponsor before Dole. Next to it is another barkcloth piece I found on ebay that I thought was a good color match for the Tiki room piece, and of course rife with my favorite color; orange.

Hard to see due to the fluorescent light, but under the second division of rafter beams is another fabric that is quasi Hawaiian; a turquoise background with the usual tropical flora. I chose it in this location because it is directly above where my work desk chair will be, and when I am stumped or blocked artistically I can stare up at the calming aqua color and the tigers hidden among the flowers. Figured it might slow down the brain fizzle enough to give me the ideas I need.

A little better picture where you can see the tiger and design.

Here is how it all looks in context as you start to walk under.

That's about it for now till my other supplies arrive.

Thanks everyone for the replies and following along it is really gratifying to know there are other wacky weirdos out there like myself. Your words are a great encouragement and it is appreciated.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-06 05:50 am   Permalink

I like that ceiling design, unique and interesting. Cool tiger print there Tiger, nice addition!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-06 07:02 am   Permalink

sophista-tiki fabric, on its way!

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-06 08:27 am   Permalink

This is so much fun Tiger. I really enjoy all that you are adding to your studio. I didn't even know there was Disneyland cloth. Cool to have Dawn as a coming soon addition. Thanks for posting, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-07 03:25 am   Permalink

Gwen: Thanks for stopping by. Yeah, I really love barkcloth it has this unique vintage feel that nothing else has, and man is it durable!

Littlegiles: Thanks for the compliments, I wasn't really sure how well the placemats were going to work out till I had them up there against the burlap. I was afraid they were going to be exactly the same shade as the burlap and get “lost”, but luckily they were just a bit lighter. I am super happy how spiffy the koa wood looks against the walls.

Mike: I got really lucky on that fabric. After sifting through hundreds of Hawaiian fabric patterns on ebay and other sites I ran across that one. It does have a bit too modern of a feel to it in comparison to the other fabrics (seems to have a 70's vibe to me) but where the heck else am I gonna find a Hawaiian style pattern with tigers in it?

Sophista-tiki: Hey thanks so much Dawn! I felt kind of guilty after all the trouble I put you through and only ordered one yard, but with any luck I will throw some more business your way in the future. Can't wait to see how it looks on the shelves. I reserved all the front shelves by the desk for your wonderful fabric.

Wendy (and Dan): Thanks Wendy! I am excited about it all too. Here is a nice pic of some of the original 1968 Hostesses in the costumes with the fabric:
http://www.disneybymark.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/7-15-68TikiRoomHostesses1-931x1024.jpg After the original sponsorship by United Airlines was dropped they changed the hostess/host costume to the more familiar pattern of this (first photos),

http://matterhorn1959.blogspot.com/2006/04/souvenir-friday-enchanted-tiki-room.html

and also changed some of the audio dialogue in the Lanai for the tikis (originally one of the tikis had a direct “advertisement” for United in its patter). The stewardesses on the United flights for Disneyland also wore very similar costumes with the original fabric as an advertising tie in. I suppose they really had to promote the attraction since it was the only one in the park with its own high price separate admission ticket. I often wonder though how come I can never find any newspapers or magazines carrying any large articles from the time period specifically about the tiki room since it was so incredibly ground breaking. I especially have never been able to find much about the ceremonies or anything for opening day of the attraction despite actively looking for years which really kinda bothers me for something so historic you would think there would be a huge paper trail. Anyways, I digress as usual just thought you'd like to know more on the history of the fabric.

[ This Message was edited by: tigertail777 2013-05-07 03:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tigertail777 2013-05-07 03:29 ]

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 05:16 am   Permalink

Well this is going to be a big update, because not only did I get work done on the Tiki Tiger hut, I also got to go to my first tiki event at the Hale Pele here in Portland. I got some great deals on stuff for the hut; over 10+ yards of vintage tiki fabric, some used Lauhala Matting for CHEAP, and my first Coco Joes tiki figure.

First I'll start off with the pictures from the Hale Pele event and then get into the work on the hut.

I found someone else wearing a cool tiger Aloha shirt, and had to get a picture with him. I am the one wearing the fedora hat.

Then I found Cy's Frog Island Tiki booth, chatted with him and took a bunch of pictures of his wonderful carvings. I know Cy from quite a few years ago when my family had him make shirts for our portable miniature golf business, but its been quite a long time since I have seen him and have never seen his tiki carvings in person. Let me tell you they are impressive and hilarious. They remind me a lot of some of the wackier work of Wally Wood and Basil Wolverton like the "Ugly" trading cards from the 60's. I know without a doubt he will sell all of his great work at Oasis.

Of the ones there, this tiki might be favorite:

Although this tiki fellow with a moving pendulum is also ultra cool

Here is the man from Frog Island himself, Cy. I don't think he realized I was taking a picture of him. Bwahahaha!

There were pirates with umbrella's.

There was a live band a lot of hullaballoo...

A guy selling fresh coconut water in the coconut. He would use a small machete and cut off the top and serve it to you fresh. Mixed feelings on the flavor; I liked the initial flavor of it, but it had a strange aftertaste. I could possibly get used to it, it was an interesting experience.

The band was pretty enjoyable, "The Men From S.U.R.F" can't remember what it stood for, but good tunes!

Here is the place I got my CocoJoe from. I had a hard time deciding what to get. I could have gotten my first tiki mug from there, but I keep holding out on that because I want my first one to be something special. I was going to get a fishing float lamp made by TikiSkip from a seller next door to these guys, but I swear I turned my back for like 5 minutes and it was already sold. Oh well I got the tiki cloth from that seller anyways.

Close ups of some of their wares.

The Hale Pele was selling off some stuff, including tiki's which were in the previous incarnation of the tiki bar (The Thatch). Pretty big and nice they sold out quick.

I had some pork, rice and beans and asked for some pineapple that was on the same skewer as the roasting pig cause I am a pineapple fiend...but ummm... yuck. Note to self do not eat pineapple that has been roasting over coals with a pig. I was really surprised no one was selling fresh pineapple slices I would have got some in a heart beat.

In this photo see that beautiful golden brown rolled up stuff in the corner? That is my lauhala Matting, there is also a smaller roll piece inside of that...all for $15 what a steal huh? Cy has it in keeping for me till I can pick it up Tuesday.

There were a bunch of Muntiki mugs going up for bids in a silent auction. Really cool stuff. I had heard of the name before, but didn't know they were a local Portland tiki mug company. Bids were going well beyond my means though.

This was probably my favorite of the Muntiki, I am a sucker for super bright saturated hot colors like reds and oranges.

Then for the first time I stepped foot into the Hale Pele bar itself. I loved it. The lighting in particular I really thought was cool. I ordered a Pina Colada with a few splashes of cinnamon and ginger (it really gives the rum a bit of a savory kick and brings it forwards in taste, whereas normally you would taste the coconut pineapple first, a "tigertail" colada LOL). I can't have any alcohol but rum because of the way my body processes different sugars and my allergies to gluten so there was not a lot on the drink menu I could have. In fact, Pina Colada actually wasn't on there but I figured they could make it. The bartender was nice enough to oblige my weird splash of cinnamon and ginger (cinnamon is one of my favorite flavors and smells so I put it liberally on lots of stuff I eat).

I can't remember the bartender's name (think it was Steve) but here is a picture of him doing his thing.

Some of the really cool decor in Hale Pele.

The nifty fountain tikis as you walk in the door and over the tiny little bridge.

Other side of the bridge a little lagoon. Every 20 minutes or so there is a little rain storm that happens over the lagoon. You hear thunder and then sprinklers in the ceiling in the entry way start pouring down water for a little while.

Okay now onto my own tiki hut and its progress. I got the super spiffy fabric I ordered from Sophista-tiki (Dawn) and got that installed, and I got those paint sticks I ordered so you will finally see what those were for. I was hoping to get actual full size paint sticks, but the place I ordered from on Amazon doesn't seem to get what a real paint stick size is. so I ended up with 1,000 bamboo sticks about half the size of a real paint stick. Oh well when life gives you lemons make Mai Tais.
As you can see here, I am using about every clamp we have to glue down those paint sticks with liquid nails to the walls. I am using them as a border to cover over the ugly frayed ends of the burlap. When I am done I will stain them a dark brown to match the Koa wood on the placemats I put on the walls previously.

Here you can see where on the inner part there is already a border of the bamboo paint sticks glued down waiting for stain. I also have up one of my pictures (a glossy promo photo from the movie "Song of the Sarong" I got a bunch of them cheap off ebay and loved the tropical noir look of them). I was experimenting with what to do to hang pictures since the walls are so thin I can't just use screws or nails. I came up with using thin bent wires (two Christmas bulb hangers twisted together) and snagging them into the burlap, seems to work pretty well...I knew I put that burlap up for a reason.

Here is one of the two shelves I covered with Sophista-tiki's fabric. I was going to use it for all the shelves in front, but got to thinking that the shelves will be mostly covered with stuff and you won't really see much of the fabric. It was so beautiful I wanted to use it for something more prominent. I had a few spaces in the ceiling to fill yet and the fabric fit there perfectly.

Then I had to find some cloth to fit the window shelf. It is long and narrow and I didn't have a lot of cloth scraps left that would fit, so I was happy to find I had some of the orange barkcloth from the ceiling left. I thought it might resist fading from sunlight a little better too, but time will tell.

And I found a decent scrap of tiger fabric which also became a ceiling panel. Unfortunately no matter how I tried the fabric would not conform enough to hide that damned electric plug in box so I will have to devise something else to hide its ugliness.

Finally, here is a bit of a back up shot so you can see the desk and the shelving in context (covered with tools and construction stuff of course).

That's all folks till next time!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-13 06:04 am   Permalink

Welcome to Tiki Event Madness Tiger, looks like you had a great time and found some bargins. The studio is lookin good too.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 06:11 am   Permalink

That looks like a pretty good day. The workshop is coming together well. Congratulations.

View Profile of Professor G Send a personal message to Professor G  Goto the website of Professor G     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-13 09:00 am   Permalink

Tigertail777 you are wonderful at sharing. I enjoyed every photo you posted. We know CY too and are going to see him at Tiki Caliente this week. I feel like I was at the event thanks to your photos. Your shed is progressing wonderfully. I'm looking forward to its finish then the grand tour and the start of your art projects. We are going to Tiki Kon, will you be there?

Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-14 3:46 pm   Permalink

Cool pictures TigerTail, you captured the mood (as well as my ugly mug and pasty white Oregonian legs) It was nice talking to you, and I really enjoyed the event.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-14 11:36 pm   Permalink

Mike: I know, it will be like a Jekyll and Hyde thing now: with Mr. Tiki Hyde coming out for events and going quite insane running from table to table.

Professor G: Thanks for dropping by, yeah its coming together bit by bit. I get impatient with how slow it is in my perception, but as I said before I have to keep reminding myself Rome was not built in a day. (By the way you have me curious, and you know curiosity killed... Professor of what?)

Wendy (and Dan): Thanks for looking, I actually got the idea of all the pictures of my trip to the Hale Pele from your thread since you are so great with sharing all your adventures. Believe me I would love to go to Tiki Kon, but I am not sure if I will be able to money-wise. The Tiki Tiger hut has been quite a drain on my savings lately, and my family are thinking of going to Disneyland around September. My mom really wants to go as her health has been not as good lately (she just had surgery for hemorrhoids, and now they have found she has both a sideways and separated vertebrates in her neck) she thinks it won't be too long before she can't enjoy going on big trips like this so wants "one last nice big vacation". She wanted to go to Walt DisneyWorld originally as I have been the only one in the family to do so, and when I brought back the photos I took when I went around 2003? (800 plus pics LOL) she really fell in love with the idea of going. I wish I made enough money that I could send her and dad on that trip, but I don't so she is settling for Disneyland if at all possible, and I want to make sure within my power that happens for her. I can always wait to see Tiki Kon other years, I've waited this long after all.

Cy: It was great seeing you again. Thanks for holding the matting for me I appreciate it. You need to get those pasty white legs into the sun a little more often I am sure Oasis will help in that matter.

zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-15 02:55 am   Permalink

Cool! Thanks for sharing the pics and the work process!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation