FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-26 3:31 pm   Permalink

A quick update on the Egyptian deal: they have finally allocated and approved of the money for printing. We are now just trying to figure out the best date to have it all done and up for sale. I think we are probably aiming for June, when the refurbished theater will have a soft opening (but not quite a full one yet as there will still work that will need to be done).

Other than that... I have not been able to do ANY art which is slowly driving me insane. My work has been graveyard shifting me to death right now, which makes me feel even on my days off that I just want to lay in bed and die for half the day. Somehow I don't think making under $10,000 a year is worth this (which I found out from taxes this year was what I made... a depressing thought).

Well, hopefully I will get energy enough together soon to work on something new.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-26 4:56 pm   Permalink

Slap me in the face and wake me up. I somehow missed your first response and just found this one. All good news about the painting.

Those night jobs are very rough. We need to talk. I hope to see you at Tiki Kon. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-20 6:17 pm   Permalink

Update: The Egyptian painting has been scanned. I am waiting for the printed proof to approve and then the actual printing can begin.

Below is the scan (there is a slight copyright watermark on it that will not be on the actual prints: I am terrified to put up art on the web after what is happening to Brad Parker, so have become a little paranoid. I tried to make it unobtrusive for your viewing pleasure.)

I'll update again once I get the proof.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-20 6:57 pm   Permalink

Outstanding.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-20 7:57 pm   Permalink

You are an incredible talent. I loved watching you work on this painting and to see it finished is such a treat. Have you started another project? I would like to see all that you do shared here. Congratulations on finishing this fine work of art. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-21 06:55 am   Permalink

Your scan turned out great! I checked out the website for the theater and it is a really beautiful place. So glad it is still being used...so many of those gems are long gone.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-01 10:32 pm   Permalink

Apologies for the late reply everyone. I REALLY appreciate all the comments and love to read them.

hiltiki: thank you for the comment.

Wendy: I just approved of the proof print, the first one was too dark so we went through a few smaller proofs until we reached what I felt was a good representation of the tones. As for other projects, well I put together a submission package for a mural project at a local college. IF I win the bid for the project, this single mural will help me earn more money than I made all of last year with my janitorial job. I can't show anything just yet, but the content is one of my favorite subjects: ancient cultures. Specifically ancient Greek mythology (can you think of anything more academic?). The final prints for the Egyptian painting should be done in a few weeks, then I need to sign them all and bring them with the original painting to Coos Bay for the re-opening of the Egyptian in June.

littlegiles: Yes, The Egyptian is a crown jewel left from a bygone era. I am so very happy to be a part of helping bring it back to its former glory. If you ever get a chance you should come and see it. It will re-open in June, but they will continue to do improvements and upgrades over time to keep making it better and better and looking as close as possible to it's original 1925 opening. In my opinion it definitely outshines the Gramen's Egyptian in Hollywood because it is much more intact. I think only the Boise Idaho Egyptian theatre compares to it. With so little art deco left, especially Egyptian revival deco it brings my heart joy to know this very special place is being preserved for future generations.

If I get the mural job I will post pictures elsewhere (probably on my neglected facebook fan page) and provide links to them on here.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-02 08:36 am   Permalink

Best of luck, they would be lucky to have you do this for them. Wendy

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-06 01:30 am   Permalink

BAM!
stunning...

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-13 11:34 pm   Permalink

BAM! Thanks LLT!

Always a pleasure to see you post Wendy.

Welp, I have the prints back and am busy assembling them into protector bags with foam core backers. The next step is to make a certificate of authenticity to put in each bag.

My dad helping me cut the foam core boards to the right size.

Easy does it! Giclee prints are incredibly fragile, and can be easily scratched. After the first few I decided to put on gloves to put the prints in the bags... better safe than sorry.

Putting a stack of assembled prints away till I get the certificates done. Yes, I still have an exacto knife in my mouth.

Stack 'O' prints waiting....

After I get the certificates done, I have to contact the theatre and arrange a pickup rendezvous. This has certainly been an interesting experience, and I am excited to make my own prints to sell of other paintings now. Which brings me to something a lot on my mind lately: my job and how much it is cutting into my art time. I seriously think I am going to give an ultimatum; let me clean only ONE place instead of two or I am going to have to leave. I know it will cut my already meager paycheck in half, but its seriously making me a little crazy to not have the energy or time to create. The plan for this job to begin with was to have a part time job to leave time for art, but the graveyard hours that have been extending more and more lately are really sapping me of all energy to do ANYTHING. This is no way to live.

So my friends, until we cross those desert sands again...adieu.

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-23 04:11 am   Permalink

Things are a poppi'n in Tiki Tiger Studios. I have been invited to be a part of a gallery show, but the piece has to be done and arrive to the gallery by May 8th. I am excited because this is the first show I have been invited to that isn't some old ladies auxiliary, a show where my work will fit right in instead of being the single odd one out. The theme of the show is "Godzilla", so I thought with how much that big lizard keeps coming back from the grave, why not make it a zombie Godzilla? Then I thought what fun it would be to tie in the tiki zombie drink and the idea of "ZombZilla" was born. Plus you know how much I like to paint the Wahines.

I am finally figuring out how to do my paintings faster and more accurate. I tried this technique with the Egyptian painting and it worked out very well, so I thought I would try it again; making a quick down and dirty collage of how I envisioned the general layout. A tip of the hat to Brad "Tiki Shark" Parker for providing a photo of one of his Godzilla figures in just the right pose for me after I frantically searched all over the internet in vain.

I ended up going with a different running Wahine pose, but overall I followed the collage fairly closely.

I generally don't do much sketching beforehand. I tend to do composition "sketches" in my head for weeks before I start, tossing out one idea after another until I arrive at something I like. Then the sketching is done directly on the canvas. Sometimes as in the case of the running pose I have to try and erase and start over, and it may take several times to get there.

What I do composition wise on the canvas is a sort of vague gridding off with a ruler exactly where to place something, and to make sure there is a clear path for the eye to follow. For instance at the very beginning I tried to make sure all object shapes pointed towards the focal point: Godzilla. The serving trays that the waitresses drop, the A frame building, the umbrellas more or less all point towards the big guy.

Another technique I tried for the first time on the Egyptian painting, I used again: outlining in umber so I can actually see what I penciled in clearly. I know, it's a no-brainer concept, but I never thought to do it before the last painting.

Yes, I am up to my amusing story telling tricks again... note the poor guy in the grass skirt bending down to pick up his glasses...is it right that I create characters to be destroyed in this manner? He is of course gonna get squished to paste by Zombzilla. I didn't finish the running Wahine's foot because I had to pause and think... what on earth kind of footwear do they make themed employees like this wear? Or do they go barefoot? Sandals? Hmmm...

At this point I decided to try something new. I wanted to work out a bit of where the light and shadow would be before I laid down the color so I did a wash of umber, a bit like watercolor painting over the lines to give some idea.

And I decided to call it a night there since I have a large majority of the groundwork laid.

And, I'll leave you this time with a shot of the studio with Godzilla references scattered about...

Until next time... Go, go, Godzilla!

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-23 06:57 am   Permalink

Fun painting! A zombie Godzille...I would have never thought of that.

As for her shoes? I think I would go barefoot unless you don't want her to have a fighting chance and then you could put her in heels. HAHA

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-23 09:03 am   Permalink

I can hear the Godzilla noise now...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-23 09:19 am   Permalink

I sure can understand your frustration. I waited until I was 59 to start ceramics. I wish you all the best in what you do. No matter what make sure you earn enough to cover health insurance. It's a dangerous game to play with your life without it.

You are a real artist and your work is inspired and well done. I really enjoy how you think it through and then put it to canvas or paper.

Wonderful, Wendy

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-23 09:39 am   Permalink

I am not a painter so I really enjoy the step-by-steps and the techniques. Does the number bib on the runner wahine in the collage say "ass"? As far as the shoes, it reminds me of the old joke where the hikers were being chased by a bear and one stopped to change from his hiking books to his running shoes. He knew he didn't have to outrun the bear, just outrun his fellow hiker.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation