FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-01 5:35 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks for dropping by and checking out the thread LoriLovesTiki!

Welcome back again, Littlegiles.

A little break before I head back to the studio. A few months ago I had a very nice lady, Carol Gravem ask if she could make some mugs for a friend's party based on my tiki tiger mug design on the first page of this thread. As part of the bargain she said she would make me one for my studio. I was thrilled and said "yes!" She has been working on them for a few months now and I couldn't reveal it because her friend sometimes pops around TC and she did not want to spoil the surprise. She has said I can now reveal it, and I am happy to present pictures of her marvelous Tiki Tiger mug. Note that I did not have a drawing of the backside, and she improvised in a very cool way using a leaf on the back to put her friend Jay's name. My special one will have a few extra touches, and my name on it. Super excited at the idea of holding this mug in my hands when it comes.

Okay back to the studio while you ooh and ahh over the cuteness of the mug!

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
minitikimeow

Posted: 2014-05-03 2:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks tigertail777 so much for posting pictures of my mugs. Today is the party and I hope to sell all that are available!

View Profile of minitikimeow Send a personal message to minitikimeow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-03 9:36 pm   Permalink

Very cute mug.

Tigertail777 your painting has such great movement. I feel the rush and see the fear. This is such fun to watch, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-08 03:43 am   Permalink

I see Zombzilla over the horizon.... he is crushing everything in his path! RUN!

And... Thank YOU Minitikimeow... I just love the way the mug turned out.

Thanks as always for stopping by the Tiger hut, Wendy!

Yes, I did finish the painting in time to send off to the gallery show, and was fairly pleased with the end result. Now we wait and see if it sells. I've only sold one painting before in my life and never in a gallery. To be honest I never have considered myself a painter, I didn't think I had the chops and really thought no one would want my subject matter on their walls. I only had the barest inkling of the low brow art movement, and still am incredulous that people can make a living selling such fantastical and weird art. After talking things over with a few fellow artists (Brad Parker, and Dawn Frasier) they sort of talked me off the ledge of underpricing myself which I always have done in the past. I am highly doubtful it will sell at the price I asked ($700), but I am told that is a reasonable price for a 20X24 painting of that complexity... or as Dawn put it: "That is about $1.50 a square foot". Yeah, I guess when you put it like that... but I am still nervous about it selling. I will be packing in my regular Joe job next week, due to their ludicrous wanting MORE work out of me for less pay, so for a while I will have more time to devote to art. Be nice if I could actually make a living off it.

Okay, public announcements are over... on with the show...

Not sure where I left off, so I will start with my little pop culture "joke" for this piece: a 1970's style garbage can from The Enchanted Tiki Room in Disneyland. I always love incorporating some kind of little visual joke that adds to the enjoyment and theme of the piece.

Then I really concentrated on the background carnage going on from the big old Zombzilla skeletal foot stomp. Glass flying everywhere from broken tables, stomped down shrubbery, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Next was the tiki statue that Zombzilla pulled up out of the ground. I wanted this to give the impression in a funny way that Zombzilla had a huge drink in his hand, thus the final title for this piece "Zombzilla Wants a Zombie!", I am not sure if it reads that way, but that's okay either way its funny. I thought it would be really striking to have the tiki high lighted in pink reflected light from the pink neon on the breaking sign.

The Japanese girl who is running barefoot (and therefore probably the only likely survivor in this chaos) kept bothering me. Something did not seem right. Finally I pulled out one of my Japanese pose books (there are lots of these in Japan due to the manga and anime industries. These are fantastic books for figuring out poses, and a lot of them have actual photos of difficult poses for all the details) and found the initial pose I was trying to get across. Details are very tiny and hard to see in this particular book, but I did see enough to realize that foot was twisted at an odd angle, and her hand was also not quite right. So I painted outlines of how things SHOULD be and went from there fixing the pose.

The main foreground Wahini with the dark skin did not seem to have a real dimensional roundness to her figure. It took me a while to parse out why. She is in shadow with a partial sunset, partial twilight sky. Her skin should have some very slight reflections of that blue both from the shadow and the twilight. That was what was missing. Once I realized it, I applied a slight blue hue in the shadows to the other girls as well. A little hard to see it here because the camera was not cooperating with the flash mode.

Once I understood the kind of impact that big of a stomp would make, I had to go back and sort of fix some of the details. I went back into the little tiny tiki bar in darkness under the hut and made the itty bitty fish tank crack and spill water, and jiggled the bottles on the bar. Had I thought of this in the first place I would have made that little scene a bit more active. Those bar bottles are each less than half the size of a penny, I almost needed a smaller brush, something I thought I would never say since I work with really tiny liner brushes already.

I was not happy with the reflection and shadow on the bamboo poles of the roof, and really wanted to make them pop, so I went back and played with the wiggling around glass fishing float, and how that light would bounce off and react to the bamboo, as well as the "VV" (Voodoo Vick's) neon letters on the front of the Ku statue about to topple off the roof (note the broken wires).

From there I just did little finishing touches here and there and put down my unique little signature (there is also a hidden signature, which over the years I started doing from boredom and now friend and family expect it in there to try and find it). And finally sealing it with acrylic sealer as you can see in the next photo, which really made the colors pop.

And a final photo of it upright outside in the sunshine.

I did make scans in pieces on my 11X17 scanner at high res, for possible future prints but have not pieced all the scans into one cohesive whole yet as I am a little afraid the size is going to crash my computer.

I am really falling in love the with painting medium and finding each new outing more fun than the last. I have an idea that popped into my head for the next one I would like to do, not sure how well it will go over but I think it will be a lot of fun. Here's a hint: it's a mixing of some imagery from the Disney film "Fantasia" with tiki's. I'll let your mind reel over that for a while.

Until next time, beware of Zombzilla Tiki faithful!

[ This Message was edited by: tigertail777 2014-05-08 03:45 ]

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-08 06:04 am   Permalink

WOW! Your painting really turned out great! what a fun theme and final look. It is something I would hang on my wall.

Job well done! Can't wait to see what you work on next. That Fantasia/Tiki theme has me intrigued.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-08 08:19 am   Permalink

You ARE a great painter. There's emotion, action, excellent detail, everything. It's wonderful. You should think about making prints for sale like the Egyptian theater painting. I'm so impressed by your talent. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-23 10:33 pm   Permalink

Thanks Wendy I appreciate the cheer leading.

First off, I got my tiki tiger mug from Carl Gravem, and he's a beauty! I am a little afraid to use him for actual drinking so he may just be a brush holder in the studio except for very special occasions. The camera was being a little persnickety so I will have to take pictures of the inside and backside later, but it all turned out beautifully! Carol even included a bamboo straw.

Next... remember I said the new painting would be something from Fantasia? Remember the Nutcracker Suite sequence where it showed ice fairies? Combine that with the goddess of snow and ice in Hawaiian lore, Poliahu and you have the new painting. My idea is make this a pair of paintings that go together; the next one will be the Night on Bald Mountain sequence combined with Pele.

I started the painting last night and got pretty far. This should be a fun one for all of the light reflections and refractions off the ice.

Here is the beginning penciling. As I said before I almost never do sketches beforehand and work it all out in my head.

In the nutcracker sequence there is this really beautiful bit where an ice fairy lands on an autumn leaf and proceeds to cover it with frost by dancing over it. I wanted to do something like that, but with a orchid that was floating in water when the water iced over. This is the start of the orchid.

This is starting to paint the ice fairy who in this story is goddess Poliahu. In one of the main stories about her she had a beautiful cloak of white (snow) which she gave to a man she betrothed to. I was going to include the cloak, but I can't have both the cloak and the wings, there is no way a cloak could tie around them. For now I am probably going to go with the ice wings like the Fantasia movie. I may change my mind and make it a cloak we'll see.

I really wanted to limit the color palette on this one to mainly blues, pink, and yellow to give a soft ethereal feel. This one will be in the sunshine, but probably not a bright day more soft and muted. Pele will be with moonlight in the dark of night. (unless I switch these... it may be easier to make the goddess stand out against the icicle waterfall background). The frost on the lake ice I am trying to do in tapa patterns going outwards from the orchid.

Outline the tiki...

Filling in the tiki...

And, icing over the tiki and putting in some details is about where I stopped for the night. I will be putting a lot more blue hues and ice on the tiki I don't want the brown to really stand out from the color scheme.

Surrounded by my ever present printed out pages of research.

Until next time on our Polynesia Fantasia journey, have a tiki-riffic day!

[ This Message was edited by: tigertail777 2014-05-23 22:35 ]

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-24 07:46 am   Permalink

Nothing makes a more tiki-terrific day than watching you work. Beautiful, Wendy

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 9:34 pm   Permalink

Great narrative and sharing the process on the Zombiezilla,Tigertail!
And what a cool thing to see that adorable tiger mug come to life and you get one! Sweet deal! Keep the Torch burning bright,man!
Good stuff!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-11 5:09 pm   Permalink

Yikes! Zombiezilla is scary 8O

Why does he have to be so mean and make everyone spill their drinks? Maybe he just wants to join them for one...Guess he gets the whole bar now

The tiger mug came out great too, looks very much like the drawing, great work you two.

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-11 6:53 pm   Permalink

Lots o great art.....

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-11 8:41 pm   Permalink

Tiger mugs are awesome!! Love the white tiger, great job Carol!!!

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-19 9:59 pm   Permalink

Just a quick note: I will be heading down the coast this weekend for the grand re-opening of the Egyptian Theatre, and they want me to talk about my painting. When I come back I will have a buncha pics to share of the culmination of the whole Egyptian affair.

I am not ignoring you kind folks who have stopped by with comments, things have just been popping lately and I've not had time to post. I promise I will address each of you when I get back. Mahalo for stopping by the tiger hut.

Till I get back you can chew over an article I was interviewed for about the Egyptian painting on a site that does stories on Northwest artists.

http://nwartisanalhub.wordpress.com/2014/06/17/sandy-artist-jesse-guiher-donates-art-to-help-in-the-preservation-of-the-egyptian-theatre/

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-20 03:12 am   Permalink

I just finished reading the article. What a perfect interview to match the magnificent piece of artwork. I od have to say that I got a kick out of the scary eyes peering over the top of your painting. That was a fun addition to your photo.

Congratulations on the project. You are a fine artist, Wendy

PS have a blast this weekend, looking forward to the photos

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-20 05:46 am   Permalink

Very nice article.

Have a great time at the Re-Opening.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation