FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Tiki/Surf/Punk connection,Trivia question, pt. 2, Win 2 tix to Surf Guitar 101conv. Sat. Aug. 13th
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Tiki/Surf/Punk connection,Trivia question, pt. 2, Win 2 tix to Surf Guitar 101conv. Sat. Aug. 13th
Gavin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-04 09:50 am   Permalink

Thanks, that was fun.
I skated one day with the guitar player from JFA, I think his name was Don. Big curly hair.
He came to my ditch (Back Door) and was pretty cool, and could skate, so we took him up into the Tustin Hills to a pool we had going for about six months in the back of an abandoned house.
I believe Brian recently did guest DJ spots for or with Whorehay/Radio Free Bakersfield...I think?
A local surf shop here in SD has one of those original huge ass cutaway JFA decks, with the paisley logo, on the wall for display.
Health Sucks.

View Profile of Gavin Send a personal message to Gavin  Email Gavin Goto the website of Gavin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-04 09:53 am   Permalink

Gavin,

you are correct, Brian has sat in on RFB recently,
and he will be at the SG101 conv. also.

shoot me a email if you want to collect on yer ticket to the show.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-04 11:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-04 09:23, bigtikidude wrote:
...by the way, John O told me on the phone Tikis were not from Hawaii, but from the US mainland,
still trying to wrap my head around that one. WOW!!!

The Tikis "WE" care about are from the mainland.

Also "Pipetruck" --> "Pipeline" --> Hawaii --> real Tikis --> mid-century Tiki-style ?? That's at least 4 degrees of separation on that question !!

And about the Peanuts theme, here's surf culture author Dominic Priore's take (or is it Brian Chidester's?)...

"Perhaps the best recordings of surf music by any punk band were those done by JFA (Jodie Foster's Army), which recorded Vince Guaraldi's 'Schroder's Theme' as heard in the Peanuts television cartoon specials back in the '60s..."

"JFA took the Astronauts' approach to thick, steady rhythm guitar tones and threw on a 'Baja'-styled lead guitar part to Guaraldi's most famous melody. Without trying too hard to be 'Surf', these cats from Arizona captured the true spirit of surf music better than most of the people who fail the minute they put on a bad Hawaiian shirt."

Regardless of its origin, it's (IMHO) a "Surf song".

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-08-04 16:21 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-04 11:06 am   Permalink

Well I will take credit for coming up with the band, but I dropped the ball
on the Song answers, I am not worthy of tickets, so please give the one I might
receive to whom ever gets em, so they can take someone with them.

BIG THANKS! Jeff for doing the contests, it adds an element of fun to TC
and FUN is TIKI!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RickshawRecords

Posted: 2011-08-04 2:53 pm   Permalink

...And if you're not done with your punk/tiki fix after SG101 ends at 8pm on Saturday, come on over to El Segundo to see CHUM at our LA CD Release party. 9:30pm.

Brand new album: FIGHTING WORDS, and brand new instro/surf/punk/rock songs...

Samples here:
http://www.RickshawRecords.com/fightingwords_sample

- Rickshaw

View Profile of RickshawRecords Send a personal message to RickshawRecords  Email RickshawRecords Goto the website of RickshawRecords     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-05 9:46 pm   Permalink

Missed the contest and was not a huge punk fan......I was a big metal (saw Sabbath at the Whisky-A-Go-Go before they hit the big time) and fan of of pre-punk Rock bands MC5, The Stooges, Budgie, Dust, Sir Lord Baltimore, The Pink Fairies, etc. Check out this crazed version of Walk Don't Run from one of my faves from the early 70s....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-x5b0JEnYM

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-07 12:22 am   Permalink

Hey BF,
that's wild, never heard, or heard of that.
Stoner Rock, meets surf/Instro, crazy man.

Hope to see ya at the SG101 conv.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-07 12:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-04 14:53, RickshawRecords wrote:
...And if you're not done with your punk/tiki fix after SG101 ends at 8pm on Saturday, come on over to El Segundo to see CHUM at our LA CD Release party. 9:30pm.

Brand new album: FIGHTING WORDS, and brand new instro/surf/punk/rock songs...

Samples here:
http://www.RickshawRecords.com/fightingwords_sample

- Rickshaw

Gotta Love me some SPAM,
especially when its Tiki SPAM

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation