FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food anybody ever tried substituting whiskey for rum in some of the tiki drinks out there?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
anybody ever tried substituting whiskey for rum in some of the tiki drinks out there?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-05 12:09 pm   Permalink

I recently came across the recipe for TV's Eastern Sour, which looked to me like a whiskey version of a scorpion bowl recipe. Tried it out, and the Eastern Sour indeed tasted pretty much just like a Scorpion Bowl.

this gave me the idea that whiskey may work well as a substitute for rum in some tiki drinks, especially those drinks that are heavy in juice and liqueur components. I'm low on rum right now, but well-supplied in bourbon, so i'm going to experiment around with this.

the first drink i've tried out worked very well-- the Painkiller. Used Jack Daniels in lieu of a gold/dark rum, and the flavor profile changed very little (I typically use 2 oz booze in my painkiller).

any ideas for other rum tiki drinks that would work well using whiskey instead?

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2011-08-05 12:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2011-08-05 12:33 ]

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-05 12:23 pm   Permalink

I've had the Eastern Sour. Great drink !! Even better is the Bourbon Special (IMHO).

It's a vintage drink that was served at (Steve Crane's) Kon-Tiki. Here's the recipe from (Beachbum Berry) "Remixed"...

.50 oz fresh lime juice
.25 oz sugar syrup
.25 oz falernum
.75 oz ginger beer
1.50 oz Bourbon
Dash Angostura bitters

Shake with ice cubes and pour unstrained into an old-fashioned glass

I like Knob Creek as a mixer (a good rye is even better).

There's also the Western Sour from the Kon-Tiki. I'll make you buy "Remixed" for that one.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-05 12:57 pm   Permalink

I've never substituted it for the rum but a friend who was moving left me the remains of his liquor cabinet. I got in the habit of floating a half ounce of johnny walker to class up pretty much any tiki drink. You can definately tell it is there. Navy grog takes it well.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-05 1:26 pm   Permalink

"substituting whiskey for rum in some of the tiki drinks"

Careful there Flipper, that smacks of heresy here

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 10:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-05 13:26, MadDogMike wrote:
"substituting whiskey for rum in some of the tiki drinks"

Careful there Flipper, that smacks of heresy here

well, had my first Honi Honi, which is a Mai Tai using bourbon in lieu of rum.

so even Trader Vic thought of this topic!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 11:11 pm   Permalink

Lets just replace our Tikis with clown masks then, Can someone please bring thePorpoise
back to Tikiland now?

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-10 07:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-09 22:55, thePorpoise wrote:
well, had my first Honi Honi, which is a Mai Tai using bourbon in lieu of rum.
so even Trader Vic thought of this topic!

OK, then I guess it's legit, just don't start substituting vodka!

But-
Whatcha gonna do
When the whiskey ain't working no more
and life don't feel like before
Whatcha gonna do?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 07:50 am   Permalink

Actually, I think the sub is better on drinks that feature the rum, like a Mai Tai.

Give this a try:
Make a classic Mai Tai (easy on the lime) and use St. James H'ors d'age and Glenlivet 12 YO. I think they work well together and for the Scotch Whisky drinker, this is a winner.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-10 09:18 am   Permalink

I've done that! It makes for a very different but unusually fine drink! A lot of smokey wood flavor, but if you drink The Glenlivet anyway you'll appreciate the pairing with St. James Hors D'Age. I generally use between .5 and .75 oz. of fresh lime.
What's missing though is a name for this drink. I call it "The Braveheart Mai Tai"

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 09:55 am   Permalink

Never mind the Tiki Cocktail purists, The top shelf Whiskey drinkers out there (Most of them probably our Dads)
will not only bitch slap, but spit on you for mixing any good whiskey with fruit juices!

and a

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 10:39 am   Permalink

Yeah but Chuck, that same thinking would also apply to aged rum. I wouldn't used El Dorado 25-year (or even 15-year) in a Mai Tai. Those rums were meant to be enjoyed neat just like single-barrel Bourbon.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 11:06 am   Permalink

El Dorado 25-year & Coke, yum.
Still have some El Dorado 25-year waiting for you John!

Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 11:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-10 07:31, MadDogMike wrote:

OK, then I guess it's legit, just don't start substituting vodka!

Bali Hai serves vodka mai tais.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

Bali Hai serves vodka mai tais.

apparently, the new Trader Vic's in Sarasota does as well. (and also has a "guava mai tai," "mango tai," and "maui mai tai" per their menu).

Hoping to make my first visit there sometime soon.

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2011-08-10 11:31 ]

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 11:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-10 10:39, JOHN-O wrote:
Yeah but Chuck, that same thinking would also apply to aged rum. I wouldn't used El Dorado 25-year (or even 15-year) in a Mai Tai. Those rums were meant to be enjoyed neat just like single-barrel Bourbon.

Yes, and no... Look at what Vic was putting in the original Mai Tai. Wray and Nephew 17 YO was it? So, the good rum. But the way most people make their Mai Tai's, you are right.

I make my Mai Tai so that you can and should taste the booze and it makes a difference what it is. Most people make Mai Tais that feature lime juice and syrup, mine features good Martinique rum and good Jamaican rum, or, good Scotch Whisky.

In my book, if you can't taste the booze in a Mai Tai, and I mean really taste it, you are making it wrong and poorly. If you make a Mai Tai with top shelf booze and average shelf booze and no one knows much difference, you are not doing it right.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation