FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food anybody ever tried substituting whiskey for rum in some of the tiki drinks out there?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
anybody ever tried substituting whiskey for rum in some of the tiki drinks out there?
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 12:02 pm   Permalink

At the risk of being bitch slapped by my Dad, I wouldn't mind trying it!
you did not hear me say that though.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 2:04 pm   Permalink

try what, the vodka mai tai, or the whiskey mai tai?

(you know, throwing juice and whiskey together can always be passed off as a whiskey sour- very acceptable to the old timers).

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 4:02 pm   Permalink

I don't drink vodka so it would have to be whiskey and John-O likes his Old time cocktails I know.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 6:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-10 11:06, Chuck Tatum is Caribbean Troll wrote:
El Dorado 25-year & Coke, yum.

Noooooooooooo! Say it ain't so, Chuck?

The horror, the horror!

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-30 07:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-05 12:57, gabbahey wrote:
I've never substituted it for the rum but a friend who was moving left me the remains of his liquor cabinet. I got in the habit of floating a half ounce of johnny walker to class up pretty much any tiki drink. You can definately tell it is there. Navy grog takes it well.

gabbahey

I experimented over the weekend with whiskey and navy grogs. I discovered that bourbon overpowers the flavors; that blended scotch works well but does change the flavor a bit; and that irish whiskey works the best in the navy grog as substitute for rum, it marries with the juices, honey, and allspice extremely well.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-30 3:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-10 11:35, Swanky wrote:

In my book, if you can't taste the booze in a Mai Tai, and I mean really taste it, you are making it wrong and poorly. If you make a Mai Tai with top shelf booze and average shelf booze and no one knows much difference, you are not doing it right.

Amen brutha,
I'll drink to that!

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-30 8:20 pm   Permalink

I just made a polynesian paralysis out of the beach bum Berry book and it calls for bourbon, whiskey and it was good!!!! . Very nice flavor.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
old band alum
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-30 8:23 pm   Permalink

Trader Dicks in Reno serves a Backscratcher which contains Bourbon, Orange Curacao and passion fruit. I made a variation with Bourbon, orange juice and pineapple juice and it had a different taste than rum, There is a separate Tiki Central post on the Backscratcher.

View Profile of old band alum Send a personal message to old band alum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-09 8:11 pm   Permalink

I've repeated substituting 3 oz Powers Gold Label irish whiskey and 2 teaspoons of Macallan 12 year old single malt for the rums in a navy grog, and this is an excellent combination, the single malt in particular enhances the allspice syrup very well.

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-03 10:35 am   Permalink

picked up my first bottle of Tullamore's Dew, this Irish whiskey makes an excellent Painkiller and Navy Grog...

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-03 10:45 am   Permalink

Tullamore Dew comes in "regular" and 12-year varieties. Which did you try? Sounds interesting...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-03 11:39 am   Permalink

I like :

2 oz.templeton rye, small batch
1 full can of canada dry ginger ale
dash of sweet and sour/ or fresh lime juice/ or orange juice

add ice cubes, stir and drink

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-03 1:59 pm   Permalink

Gotta say I am drinking more Old Fashion's & Manhattan's if I am in the mood
for a whiskey drink ( I have officially become an old guy from the 50s)
I have been enjoying "Makers Mark" in place of bars that don't have "Old Fitzgerald's"
now get off my lawn!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-03 10:45, AceExplorer wrote:
Tullamore Dew comes in "regular" and 12-year varieties. Which did you try? Sounds interesting...

t'was the regular, i believe.

(i tend categorize booze by price, it was the "$20" bottle...)

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 10:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-03 13:59, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Gotta say I am drinking more Old Fashion's & Manhattan's if I am in the mood
for a whiskey drink ( I have officially become an old guy from the 50s)
I have been enjoying "Makers Mark" in place of bars that don't have "Old Fitzgerald's"
now get off my lawn!

same here, or a sazerac cocktail.

started this thread originally though bc i was utilizing whiskey when the rum cupboard was bare but i was in the mood for certain tiki drinks...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation