FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food anybody ever tried substituting whiskey for rum in some of the tiki drinks out there?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
anybody ever tried substituting whiskey for rum in some of the tiki drinks out there?
blueeyedtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-02 4:05 pm   Permalink

Just tried the Eastern Sour with a local Florida whiskey. Not bad at all. A whiskey sour is one of my favorite drinks made with Bourbon. I'm about to give the Eastern Sour a try with Bulleit Bourbon. Love me some Bulleit.

View Profile of blueeyedtiki Send a personal message to blueeyedtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-02 4:30 pm   Permalink

A Mai Tai variation with whiskey and/or rye like the Bluegrass Mai Tai from Smuggler's Cove that was featured on the Cocktail Virgin blog a while back is an excellent change of pace.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blueeyedtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-02 4:39 pm   Permalink

The Eastern Sour with Bulleit is where it's at.

View Profile of blueeyedtiki Send a personal message to blueeyedtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-02 5:46 pm   Permalink

Bulleit is good stuff and I have some on-hand, this may well be this evening's nightcap.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-02 8:44 pm   Permalink

what was the Florida Whiskey, that new one from Winter Park?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-02 9:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-02 17:46, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
Bulleit is good stuff and I have some on-hand, this may well be this evening's nightcap.

Yep, a Bulleit Eastern Sour is very nice!

blueeyedtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-03 05:00 am   Permalink

It is Palm Ridge Reserve whiskey.

AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-03 05:05 am   Permalink

I can believe a Painkiller would work out well - I think Pussers has got a scotch like aftertaste.
So has Woods 100 & I've only tried a little bit of Lemon Hart 80 but it was also there IMO.

Quote:

On 2011-08-05 13:26, MadDogMike wrote:
"substituting whiskey for rum in some of the tiki drinks"
Careful there Flipper, that smacks of heresy here

I agree! Id go my own way & make new drinks.

Try:

Tikify a milk punch with pimento dram (like a milky Lions Tail or spicy Egg Nogg),
Tikify a Southern Bourbon Punch with a Caribbean tea like lemon & ginger, ginger & mint, cerassie or sorrel (for flavour combos try
http://www.dalgetyherbalteas.com/ )

Things I made myself:

Bumbo Grog.
1 part honey mix, 1/2 lime (or any citrus), 1 water, shake of nutmeg & cinnammon, add some alcohol. Shaken with big ice cubes.
That's how I drink my Pussers. I can believe ships went out from Europe with whatever was on hand (so its open to experimentation).

Dodo
1/2 part falernum, 2 prune juice, 1 lime, bitters, add some alcohol. Blended.
I wanted to make a cocktail called a 'Dodo' - the main point being the use of liquor with a bird in the title (Famous Grouse, Wild Turkey) & prunes because you cook game with them... tikified! I ended up using Cockspur, it has a cock on the bottle don't ya know

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation