Joined: Mar 07, 2008
|Posted: 2011-08-05 3:12 pm  Permalink|
Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: August 3, 2011
The theme of this week’s show was another salutary celebration of the salubrious season of summer and all of its aqueous activities.
Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9
1) “Heat Wave,” the 1934 song by Sol K. Bright & His Hollywaiians, included in the collection: From Honolulu to Hollywood – Jazz, Blues & Popular Specialties Performed Hawaiian Style.
2) “The Palm Trees Sing Aloha,” the 1936 song by Andy Iona & The Islanders from the CD: Hawaiians in Hollywood – Smooth, Sweet & Swinging – 1934-36, with Andy Iona on Rickenbacker Frying Pan six-string electric lap steel guitar, ukulele & arrangements; Danny Stewart on lap steel guitar; Allen Kila on guitar; and Sam Koki on bass.
3) “August Bells” from the anthology: The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny.
4) “List of Things (We Oughta Do)” by The Sweater Set from their CD: Surprise Visit, featuring Maureen Andary and Sara Curtin on vocals, guitar, flute kazoo, ukuleles and toy xylophone.
5) “I’ll Remember You” by Big Kahuna and the Copa Cat Pack from their recording: Hawaiian Swing, featuring Matt Catingub and Linda Harman on vocals.
6) “Surf the Wild Gowanus” by Simon Chardiet from the collection: Surf Guitar Greats – One Dozen Surf-Rock Instrumentals.
7) “Punalu’u (The Black Sand Beach of Punalu’u)” by George Kuo from his CD: O Ke Aumoe – Night of the Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar.
8) “Back in Your Own Backyard” the 1938 song from the collection: The Quintessential Billie Holiday, Volume 5: 1937-1938, Featuring Teddy Wilson on piano, Buck Clayton trumpet, Walter Page on bass, Lester Young on sax and Jo Jones on drums.
9) “When the Sun Comes Out,” the 1957 song by June Christy from the anthology: Gone for the Day & Fair and Warmer, arranged and conducted by Pete Rugolo.
10) “Cloudburst” by Lambert, Hendricks & Ross from their recording: Everybody’s Boppin’.
11) “Once Upon a Summer Time” by Blossom Dearie from her 1958 LP: Once Upon a Summertime, composed by Johnny Mercer, Eddie Barclay and Michel Legrand, featuring Blossom Dearie on vocals & piano; Mundell Lowe on electric guitar; Ray Brown on bass; and Ed Thigpen on drums.
12) “California Rain” by Madeleine Peyroux from her CD: Half the Perfect World.
13) “That Sunday, That Summer” the 1964 song by Dinah Washington from the collection: The Best of the Roulette Years.
14) “Even Stevens (Long Lost Summer Mix)” by The Jazz Renegades from their 1989 recording: Freedom Samba.
16) “Long Green” the cut from Donald Byrd’s 1955 debut LP of the same name, taken from the CD collection: Timeless – The Savoy Jazz Classics, featuring Donald Byrd on trumpet; John Jenkins on alto sax; Frank Foster on tenor sax; Hank Jones on piano; Paul Chambers on bass; Kenny Clarke on drums.