FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Gallery Are my Tikis the real thing?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Are my Tikis the real thing?
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 08:25 am   Permalink

Gene - Its all good man!

Let your own creative soul find a manifestation in your art...that could be something as simple as a flowing line, a squiggle, a series of crosshatches...whatever. I find sometimes the sporadic spontaneous act creates wonderful results...in other words don't sweat it - there's always the "next piece" if the current work-in-progress doesn't quite feel right!

Keep on creating your art and your vision. Thanks for posting what you have so far and I look forward to peeping at new things as you go. Cheers! G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 09:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-12 08:25, TikiG wrote:
Let your own creative soul find a manifestation in your art...that could be something as simple as a flowing line, a squiggle, a series of crosshatches...whatever.

Sure! - Just don't call it "Tiki" if it ain't.

Here's some more advice from "Mr. Know-it-all":

Of yesterday's stuff, 3 and 4 look darn good. No 1 looks too much like some medieval Devil's mask. Why? Original Oceanic Tiki carvings (and other "primitive" art) were the opposite of realistic, human-like portraiture. They stylized human facial features by not only exaggerating, but also simplifying them in bold, cubist ways. That is why the 20th Century avantgarde were inspired by them, they showed them ways to go beyond realism. So if you find your faces (and bodies!) becoming too humanoid, you are getting away from Tiki.

Part of that too human-like style is the use of flowing, organic lines. The less organic, the more cubist you get, the more Tiki it should become.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 5:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks so much for all of your kind remarks and encouragement. Mike and Wendy, I agree with your opinions about needing backgrounds. The reason mine are so plain is that most of my stuff at this time is used for my CafePress t-shirt shop. It is not very "in" to have square or framed t-shirt designs in the this modern world. That is why mine kind of float in air. I have started making some framed art designs lately and have several on my site. I will upload them to this site. I must warn all that they are not very tiki like.

I really appreciate your comments G. I feel much the same way about art, but at the same time I want to at least try to create something authentic. I hope I can find a happy medium. Thanks for the encouragement.

Sven, please do not visit my t-shirt site. I have been breaking your main rule for a long time now. As you said "Don't call it tiki if it's not" I have been committing that sin for quite some time. But, I do want to improve things and do a better job. Your comments are always so helpful to me. I understand your explanation of noses. I spent years trying to learn how to create faces and make them real. Now I have to try to make them unreal. Your comments comparing tiki art to cubism were really cool. I never thought of it that way before. Thanks for your help.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 7:50 pm   Permalink

Aha! I KNEW you were one of those.....Tiki Imposters! (just kidding)

OK ok, I won't visit your T-shirt site, I promise....but ONLY if you promise to not only look at Tiki Revival Tikis for reference, but mid-century and ancient Tikis too (as for example Lake Surfer does)

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-08-12 20:12 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 8:44 pm   Permalink

Sven ..... I promise to follow your advise. I have been trying to study Lake Surfer's stuff ever since I discovered his thread. Thanks for pointing me that direction .....

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 8:51 pm   Permalink

Here are several images that are on my CafePress site already that are 9 by 12 framed prints. They have backgrounds, so they don't look so naked. I must warn in advance that these images were created before I stumbled onto Tiki Central and started getting an idea what tikis should look like. I don't know what this first guy is but I still think he is kinda cool.

Sven ... don't look.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 8:54 pm   Permalink

This guy is one of my early wood look carvings. I had to add some color and I thought blue was as good as any. The background was created by a guy with the screen name Sphinx on the Filter Forge site.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 8:57 pm   Permalink

I don't know what this dude is all about. He could be an Elvis impersonator or an old beatnik. The background is some real tropical plants.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 9:00 pm   Permalink

This blue guy is one of my favorites even though he is far from tiki. I think he is an alien. The background I call turtle shell and was created with a pattern maker filter. In the future I will try to do a better job of making my images more tiki like and do some more background work.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-16 7:17 pm   Permalink

I have been trying to follows people's advice on improving my images. As Sven suggested I have been studying wood tiki carvers and think maybe I am heading the right direction. As Sven said, a good sculptor to study is Lake Surfer. He really seems to research his carvings. I have always found it hard to copy other folks work. ( that is the normal way artist get started. I find copying kinda boring and not very creatively stimulating. That is probably why I'm not much of an artist.) What I think I have discovered is that my digital clay carving produces a softer image than is desirable. In wood the chisels produce a sharp clean cut making for sharper lines and edges. This is harder to do with my method, but I have been taking extra time trying to refine these cuts. I'm still trying. here is my latest ........

The background is of a plant that looks line peas on a string or a beaded curtain. I have not a clue what it is, but the photo was taken in Waimea Valley on Oahu. I don't know why I made it so grungy. Just the mood I was in at the time .......

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-20 8:04 pm   Permalink

This is another try at making my Tiki images have a more Tiki like look. I tried to hold my carving to the wood carvers style. I used a rough glaze like surface. I thought a bamboo forest was where he belonged.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-20 9:30 pm   Permalink

I like that second one Gene, nice background and the colors seem to compliment the tiki. The first one seems a little too abstract for me (personal opinion), my little pea-brain doesn't grasp abstracts too well.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-20 10:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks Mike ... I kinda agree with you about the first one. I grunged it up a bit too much. But, that plant wasn't abstracted. It really looks like that. It's just a wierd plant that grows on Oahu .........

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 8:30 pm   Permalink

Everybody does this guy sooner or later. Mine is not perfect, but the roughness of the body was on purpose. i wanted the emphasis to be on the head. Maybe too stylized?

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-28 6:39 pm   Permalink

Another attempt in my quest for the perfect Tiki.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation