FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food South of the Border drinks for this years Tiki Oasis 11
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
South of the Border drinks for this years Tiki Oasis 11
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-07 10:49 pm   Permalink

Have you invented or bastardized a drink to fit the theme of Tiki Oasis 11 this year? Theme being "South of the Border"

Does it have all ingredients made in Mexico?
Does It use some type of Tequila or Liqueur exclusive to Mexico?

Are you going to be serving it at Tiki Oasis 11?
in a room party, or on the down low?

please share what you have in store for all.

Jeff(btd)
p.s. I am working on a drink,
but need to get 1 more ingredient
Does anyone know of a Chocolate spread like Nutella
but being made in Mexico?

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-07 11:20 pm   Permalink

Yes,No,Yes,Yes,Both.

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-08 06:56 am   Permalink

Changing Tiki Drinks to Tequi Drinks?
You could always try
these recipes.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2011-08-08 07:00 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-08-09 9:16 pm   Permalink

For a while I've been resisting tequila as an ingredient (my personal bias; tequila seems to lead to bad times), but now I'm thinking of trying a few substitutions this weekend in advance of Tiki Oasis. If anything remotely interesting comes out of that experimentation, I'll post it here. Worse comes to worse, there's always Jim's Special from Tiki Ti.

Kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-09 9:31 pm   Permalink

Jeff, I'm pretty sure there is a chocolate spread - my son said it was very popular in Chile and I think I've seen a Mexican verson in our local markets, I'll get back to you.

Seems any special drink for El Oasis should contain
Chili Syrup!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 9:47 pm   Permalink

How about Abuelita Mexican Chocolate syrup? It is Nestle but, it might be made in Mexico.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 07:05 am   Permalink

How bout some Horchata for us currently new Non-drinkers. ha ha

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-10 1:28 pm   Permalink

Jeff I was wrong about the chocolate spread. My son was eating "manjar" in Chile, very similar to Dulce de Leche - more like very thick sweetened condensed milk.

The Abuelita (or Ibarra) chocolate is very good, it contains cinnamon. I bought some last week to make into ice cream - chocolate, cinnamon, and CHILI POWDER, topped with Kahlua - YUM!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2011-08-14 12:27 am   Permalink

So I bastardized the Ancient Mariner recipe, replacing the Demerara rum with tequila. For the Jamaican rum I used Smith & Cross since it can stand up to tequila.

While the drink itself wasn't bad, it felt like a cheat, I wasn't mixing a new drink, just subbing in tequila into an existing recipe. I may try to come up with something more original tomorrow, but it's looking like I'll be sticking to rum for tiki oasis.

Kevin

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-14 09:06 am   Permalink

that's not a cheat.

example-- sub whiskey for rum in a mai tai and you've got a Honi honi, do the same with a scorpion and you've got an Eastern sour.

imo you can absolutely call your creation a new drink. maybe call it an Ancient Aztec Mariner...

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2011-08-14 09:07 ]

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2011-08-14 8:09 pm   Permalink

Cool, thanks for encouragement (and the name!), Porpoise. As such, I tried a new bastardization this evening...a riff on the Hemingway Daiquiri. I dubbed it the "Ernesto Hemingway". Essentially I took most of the components of a Hemingway Daiquiri (as best I could, there are many subtle variations on that recipe), substituting tequila blanco for white rum and adding honey for sweetness. All in all it's not bad, but I still prefer a good rum cocktail.

2 oz tequila blanco (I used Cazadores)
3/4 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grapfruit juice
1/2 oz honey mix
1/4 oz maraschino

Shake with ice cubes and strain.

kevin

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-14 8:47 pm   Permalink

that sounds great. tequila and grapefruit are a natural match. i wonder how agave syrup would play with the maraschino in lieu of honey. i will try that out (as i am out of honey anyhow) and let you know.

OK- did have enough honey to try out both ways (dont worry sports fans, only drank half of each version). honey definitely the way to go. subtle difference. the agave enhances the tequila profile, while the honey helps the grapefruit stand out a little more.

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2011-08-14 21:15 ]

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-14 9:55 pm   Permalink

Yes, The Donkey Show, uses mexican or south of the border ingredients, and it's Tequila free.

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-08-14 10:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-14 21:55, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Yes, The Donkey Show, uses mexican or south of the border ingredients, and it's Tequila free.

Can't wait!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 11:56 pm   Permalink

I found some Mexican chocolate spread type stuff, well actually its Caramel.
But the flavor didn't really matter as much as the look, and that it was Hecho in Mexico.
It's called Coronado, Cajeta

Introducing the "Dirty Sanchez" drink.

1 1/2 oz. Mocambo 20 year dark rum
1 1/2 oz. Don Celso 100% Agave Tequila Anejo
1 oz. Lime Juice
1 oz. Lemon Juice
1/2 oz. 100% Agave nectar
1/2 oz. D'Aristi- Xtabentun Honey-Anisette and Rum, Mayan Liqueur

Then rim the glass with the spread similarly to a salted margarita glass
and serve without a straw.
Hence the dirty sanchez part.

It's mighty tasty, and refreshing.
the booze sneaks up on you after 1/2 way thru the 2nd one.

I am not a Tequila Fan per se, but this is a very well balanced Rum/Tequila drink.

I will be making these thru the weekend at random times.
Look for me, and if I am in the mood for one, I may make you one too.
But I am not in the position to do a huge room crawl mass tasting.

Salud,
Jeff(btd)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2011-08-18 00:10 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation