FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Rotten Palm?
Rotten Palm?
Coastal Creations

Posted: 2011-08-14 5:04 pm   Permalink

I found a large palm tree the other day so i grabbed my chainsaw and a trailer and brought it home. I've made a tiki from Mesquite wood, but i've never tried a palm. How do you tell if the wood is still ok? I stripped the outer layer of bark off, but several chunks came off too. This tree was about 20 feet long and i cut it in half. The top half i could almost carry myself, but the bottom half still had some weight. Should i chunk the top half or can you still use it? Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

View Profile of Coastal Creations Send a personal message to Coastal Creations  Goto the website of Coastal Creations     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-15 3:31 pm   Permalink

I have had no luck with the palm. My first log was about 5feet by 3 at the root flare. It was cut during the fall and even though I had it covered, it just mildewed and rotted away. Back in May, I picked up some landscaper scraps while at South Padre Island. With the recent drought and heat, they continued to dry until they just whithered away. I still have two that might make it. Let me know if you ever get it figured out. I would love to give the palm a go.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-15 8:09 pm   Permalink

Sorry, first thing that came to mind when I read Rotten Palm....

What kind of palm?

Or did you say and I just didn't read well enough because I was distracting myself with the old guy image?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coastal Creations

Posted: 2011-08-17 08:09 am   Permalink

Chip, i think its a sabal palm. One of those really tall ones.

View Profile of Coastal Creations Send a personal message to Coastal Creations  Goto the website of Coastal Creations     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation