FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Attention all surfers.....
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Attention all surfers.....
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-06-04 11:34 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to hear what y'all though about the movie "Big Wednesday" Q Magazine just called it "the greatest surf movie ever made" and I hadn't heard of it. I always assumed that title belonged to "Endless Summer", but what do I know.

Is it worth a rental? The mere appearance of Jan Michael Vincent outside of the cockpit of Airwolf seems pretty cool to me....

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-05 07:51 am   Permalink

I watched Big Wednesday a long time ago and thought it was so cool I went out and bought the movie poster. Unfortunately it was thrown away as was my HUGE baseball card collection. Mother!.....

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-06-05 09:19 am   Permalink

I remember seeing it at the drive-in (kids, I'll tell you about those things later) when it came out in the late '70s (I think).

It was pretty cheesy, but it's a classic to a degree I guess.

To this day, my surf crew always yell out "BiG WeDnEsDaY" whenever the surf is just ankle slappers!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-05 10:40 am   Permalink

BLUE CRUSH!

Although I haven't surfed in a few years, but I still have my diploma from Surf School in Maui!

Welcome to self-deprecation day.

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-05 11:12 am   Permalink

I remember that the actual surfing scenes in Big Wed are pretty good. Wasnt that Greg "da Bull" Noll with his "big gun" taking on the heavy surf with no jet ski assistance or leash on his board?

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-06-05 11:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-05 11:12, Tiki Rider Five-O wrote:
I remember that the actual surfing scenes in Big Wed are pretty good. Wasnt that Greg "da Bull" Noll with his "big gun" taking on the heavy surf with no jet ski assistance or leash on his board?

Actually, Baxdog filled in for Greg Noll on the big surf.

(During those days we would've thought a 'jet ski' was something the Jetsons might've owend)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-05 4:26 pm   Permalink

Big Wednesday is OK. Endless summer really inspires the adventurer in me.

This is not a surf film but if you can find a copy of "The Living Sea" which originally played in Imax theaters it is great. It has an original soundtrack done by Sting and the cinematography and locations are top notch. There is surfing in it.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-05 7:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-05 16:26, Monkeyman wrote:
This is not a surf film but if you can find a copy of "The Living Sea" which originally played in Imax theaters it is great. It has an original soundtrack done by Sting and the cinematography and locations are top notch. There is surfing in it.

Yes, this is an incredible film. I actually saw this film at the Polynesian Cultural Center in Oahu on their 70 foot IMAX screen. The music and images were simply unbelievable! I wonder if its available somewhere...

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-05 7:26 pm   Permalink

Found it!

Poly-Pop *

[ This Message was edited by: polynesianpop on 2003-06-05 19:26 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-05 10:54 pm   Permalink

I just rented Endless Summer, again. Very cool film. I had to laugh at the one part where Bruce Brown was complaining about the high price of coffee "$1 dollar a cup" and the price of the ocean front 5 star hotel in Africa where they were staying. what was it? $30 per day. When was that movie made...1967? times have changed indeed.

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-06 04:17 am   Permalink

'Cheesy?!' No f'n way! Big Wednesday is and always will be one of the greatest surf films ever. I have the dvd with the director's cut. Busey and Jean Michael Vincent are very legit surfers in their own right. The story lines take you through the social changes of the late fifties through the seventies as seen by a group of surfing friends. I've seen that film more times than I can count.

'Endless Summer' is great too. Pivotal in helping to create the 'surf boom' of the sixties. You can't compare the two movies though. They're just different, but both great.

I saw both of those films for the first time way back at the Port Theatre in CdM. Martin, is it worth a rental? It's at LEAST worth a rental.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-06-06 04:20 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-06-06 08:04 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-06-06 11:58 am   Permalink

An old thread here on Bruce Brown's films:

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=687&forum=4

"Slippery When Wet" is my favorite of his films, because much of it is shot in Hawaii, it's really funny, and the soundtrack by Bud Shank is great. Most of his films are out on DVD but some of the original soundtracks (like the great narration filled with 50s surfer slang) have unfortunately been re-recorded recently. Some of the music on the new releases is pretty bad. Still, the footage is great, but look for the ones with the Bud Shank soundtrack first.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-06 4:09 pm   Permalink

Endless Summer 2 is also worth a rental. It's just good-natured fluff with some decent surfing in it. Not as good as the original by any means, but the Disney style voice-over and confrontations with a variety of wildlife provides a few yuks.

I actually bought a copy of it for my wife's birthday in a classic 'Homer Simpson buying Marge a bowling ball with "Homer Simpson" etched in it' type scenario.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-13 07:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-06 11:58, thejab wrote:

Most of his films are out on DVD but some of the original soundtracks (like the great narration filled with 50s surfer slang) have unfortunately been re-recorded recently. Some of the music on the new releases is pretty bad.

I bought "Surf Crazy" (1959) on VHS some time ago, which is a great film, but I got very disappointed finding out that the original music soundtrack had been replaced by some shitty midi music. Unbelieveable!!!

TheJab, do you know which BB films (besides "Endless Summer" and "Slippery When Wet") that still have the original soundtrack?

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation