Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Crushed Ice Machine
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Crushed Ice Machine
ronrocks56

Posted: 2011-08-16 4:42 pm   Permalink

Going to be entertaining a party of six for 2 weeks. Expecting to be making a lot of tiki drinks - mainly from Trader Vics recipes. Most of these recipes call for shaved ice, and I have read a lot of your posts that say that shaved ice makes all the difference. Normally, for just the 2 of us, with the occasional drink, we just use a hammer to pound out some cubes in a plastic bag .... Does anyone have a suggestion for a shaved ice machine or something? Thanks!

edit to my post - I found out I am talking about crushed ice - not shaved ice

[ This Message was edited by: ronrocks56 2011-08-17 14:33 ]

View Profile of ronrocks56 Send a personal message to ronrocks56      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 09:02 am   Permalink

I can't recall specific drink recipes for shaved ice (think Sno Cones). However,I always use crushed ice (3/8"). Do you have a refrigerator that makes crushed ice? A neighbor? That will work fine for a party. For home use, I use a vintage Ice-o_Mat. There are also electric counter top models.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 09:47 am   Permalink

I have a Ninja XL blender and it kicks serious butt on ice. It has multiple blades along the central axis which circulates the ice while it crushes it. You let that sucker run for 20 seconds and you've got a blender full of snow.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ronrocks56

Posted: 2011-08-17 2:25 pm   Permalink

When I searched for shaved ice machines, I kept getting snow cone type ice makers - that can't be right. So I went back to the Trasder Vic's recipes - they do call for 'shaved' ice (Mai Tai, Rumg Keg, etc.) - but - in the intro section of the book there is a write-up on 'Ice' - and it refers to 'shaved or crushed ice' as the same type of ice. So now I am searching for automatic crushed ice makers. The reviews on the ones around $50 keep saying that they break anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months, and that you can only put in 1 or 2 cubes at a time. So, guess I should be looking at something a little more expensive maybe.... I know my blender isn't made to handle crushing ice.

View Profile of ronrocks56 Send a personal message to ronrocks56      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 4:56 pm   Permalink

Save your money! Get a manual ice crusher and get cranking before the party. 6 people isn't that much.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=31935&forum=10&hilite=ice%20crusher

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-08-17 5:18 pm   Permalink

I like the vintage electric Oster ice crushers - I have a blue snowflake model from the 1950's - works great. They run in the $10-20 range on ebay.

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 5:20 pm   Permalink

A hammer and a trash bag full of ICE, get to crushing!

And a

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 7:22 pm   Permalink

I've used a Waring Pro ice crusher for 5 years. Just keep putting the ice in. The tray holds about 6 drinks worth.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 8:33 pm   Permalink

dude, your blender can do a good enough job. thro in regular ice and put it on pulse for 5 secs, or, hit pulse five times for one second each.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 8:44 pm   Permalink

Your a lazy bunch

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 9:06 pm   Permalink

dang, man, we's gotta measure out all those dashes of Pernod, and make all that cinnamon syrup and vanilla syrup and rock candy syrup and honey mix and whatnots, we caint be foolin round with no ice smashin!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 9:18 pm   Permalink

And a

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-18 04:07 am   Permalink

Vintage Ice-O-Mat. Brilliant machines.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-19 3:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-17 17:18, ikitnrev wrote:
I like the vintage electric Oster ice crushers - I have a blue snowflake model from the 1950's - works great. They run in the $10-20 range on ebay.

These do make great crushed ice, but mine kept getting jammed, resulting in much swearing by the operator. So I bought a Waring Pro, which also made great crushed ice, faster and in greater quantities. Until a little plastic (plastic!!) part inside - that holds the thingamajig in place so it can do its crushing magic - stripped and now... no more crushing. It's been a while now and I'm too lazy (incompetent) to fix it. I think the problem was I was feeding it ice cubes that were too large (square cubes from Tovolo silicone trays) and it just wore out.

I now use the ice crusher on the fridge. Not as uniform with the crushed ice pieces, but it's oh-so convenient.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-22 06:29 am   Permalink

Shaved ice is not crushed ice, although most of us I presume use crushed/ground/chopped ice instead. Shaved ice behaves differently than otherwise pulverized ice in drinks, but last time I checked, decent ice shavers were so expensive I just settled for a heavy duty blender to chop it up. Sometimes I'll make a large block of ice and shave it by hand. Pain in the ass, but it does remind me why VJB,Jr called for shaved ice in the Mai Tai recipe rather than crushed.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation