FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Disappearance of Falernum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Disappearance of Falernum?
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-02 01:50 am   Permalink

Does anyone else have any suggestions on where to find or other comments on Falernum? I have scoured just about every Liquor store in town (Santa Barbara, CA) and haven't found squat. I have only found one or two places online that even have it, and the shipping costs make it a little cost prohibitive.

I really can't wait to get my hands on some. I am being held back from several recipies in Grog Log and Intoxica becaue of it.

-T.J.

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-02 06:38 am   Permalink

Tonnikan Jinn,
I ended up going to Fee Brothers and bought several items to mitigate the shipping cost. Since it appears you've been doing a lot of field work w/ Grog Log this strategy may work for you too. I got two bottles of Falernum, passion fruit syrup, orgeat, orange bitters, and grenadine. I think the total was $30 including s&h.
Some are irreplaceable, some are good, one only so-so, but now I know for sure and will buy from them again.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-02 11:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-02 06:38, JTD wrote:
Tonnikan Jinn,

Some are irreplaceable, some are good, one only so-so...

And those would be...?

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-02 1:06 pm   Permalink

Atomic,
Sorry about leaving you hangin' like that. Following is my opinion only and may not stand up to a withering cross-examination on bouquet, nose, etc. I just know what I like.
That said, falernum and orange bitters are great additions to the bar and I absolutely cannot find them anywhere else. Fee's orgeat is better than Vic's and equal to Torani (haven't tried Monin, yet). Passion fruit syrup was almost as good as TV's. Fee's grenadine is similar to Angostura brand and better than Rose's, but TV's is the best one I've had.
Fee Brothers also sent along a page of drink recipes with each flavor. The pages were already three-hole punched for easy addition to your recipe binder. Yeah, I don't have one either, but it's a nice touch. One last thing about Fee Brothers products is that the large bottles are 32 oz. Keep that in mind when doing price comparisons as the others are typically 25.4 oz.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-02 4:03 pm   Permalink

JTD,

Thanks for the info!

AC

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-04 10:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-05 10:16, Hanalei_Pirate wrote:
I was at Beverage Warehouse in Culver City stocking up on supplies and asked where the Falernum was. The guys says it isn't being made by that company anymore and he has no other source for it. So is Falernum defunct? I got 1 bottle at home - is it the last bottle on earth or is there another source and if it is defunct with no other source what happens with all those tiki drinks that call for Falernum as an ingredient?

I was just at Beverage Warehouse today (Tuesday May 4, 2004) and they have multiple bottles of both Taylor's Velvet Falernum and the Fee Brothers syrup. The Velvet is in the Rum section and the Fee's is with the bitters (in the single malt isle.)

Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-04 11:39 pm   Permalink

Atomic,

Do you have an address or general area that Beverage Warehouse is located? I'll be down in L.A. on the 15th and doing some shoping.
Thanks!!

-T.J.

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-04 11:45 pm   Permalink

http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/

4935 Mc Connell Ave #21, Los Angeles, CA 90066
(310) 306-2822

It's tucked back from the street quite a bit, be sure to map it before you head out looking for it, as it feels kind of like it's in the middle of nowhere. Worth the trip, though.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-05 12:10 am   Permalink

You know... I looked it up on MapQuest and I do believe that I've been there before.... 13 years ago when I worked at Eddie's Diner in Marina Del Ray. If it is the same place, I even bought a "Black Death Vodka" t-shirt from them.
Thanks for the info and the reminder!

-T.J.

Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-05 10:57 am   Permalink

You can't miss the intersection of McConnell and Culver Blvd. as there is a Direct TV Broadcasting Facility on the South West Corner.

Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-05 1:49 pm   Permalink

I just got a reply from Greg at Beverage Warehouse, which is great for a couple reasons. First off... he actually replied. I emailed a few of the online retailers several weeks ago and still haven't heard back. Second... they do have Falernum (both with and without ETOH), Maraschino liqueur, Licor 43, and both proofs of Lemon Hart.
So.... I'm going shopping!!

-T.J.

dtm3000

Posted: 2004-05-06 12:54 pm   Permalink

In Southern California Taylor's Velvet Falernum is distributed by Wine Warehouse. It's not something they are too aware of so see if you can get your local Beverage Retailer to ask them for it.

View Profile of dtm3000 Send a personal message to dtm3000  Email dtm3000 Goto the website of dtm3000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation