FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Mojave Oasis 2012 save the date
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mojave Oasis 2012 save the date
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-24 13:49, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-08-23 19:48, Bill5925 wrote:
Definitely not cool to have same date as Hukilau.

Not cool to have the same dates as Rum Renaissance either!

Chip, There was never an event in April that I knew of when I was thinking about Mojave, that is why I chose April. I am sorry, But my event was in April this year and I will continue that. My event is a different venue and I get people from the vintage trailer community too. Its a shame, there is overlap.

Thank you Granite Tiki.... On the west coast there are areas that are nice all year, But Mojave is a potluck. In December thru March it is in the 30's at night, Rains and winds up to 80 MPH. The leaves are bare, the weather is like north east without Snow, but it can get snow as well, we have had ice. May is Caliente , June was Hukilau and Ohana, July Thru September is over 100 each day. So that left me November(too many Job events,holidays Barrett Jackson, Sema, thanksgiving) and April. I chose April. See their was a method to my madness.....

I really dont think we will clash, I also agree, people will go where they want and can afford. I hope all events do well in the coming year with this economy

Amy

[ This Message was edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2011-08-24 15:38 ]

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tuna Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-08-24 3:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Not cool to have the same dates as Rum Renaissance either!

[/quote]
Chip, There was never an event in April that I knew of when I was thinking about Mojave, that is why I chose April. I am sorry, But my event was in April this year and I will continue that. My event is a different venue and I get people from the vintage trailer community too. Its a shame, there is overlap.
[/quote]

Definitely not cool to call out the Queen when someone else is stepping on her toes.

I know where the "Gon Tiki" trailer will be next April.

Long live the queen

View Profile of Tuna Tiki Send a personal message to Tuna Tiki  Email Tuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zonker88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-24 4:41 pm   Permalink

why is everyone so worried about this there are only so many weekends in a year so events will conflict some times

ohana and this event in mojave seem pretty small compared to hukilau which has almost a thousand people at it so it shouldnt matter

View Profile of Zonker88 Send a personal message to Zonker88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 7:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-24 16:41, Zonker88 wrote:
why is everyone so worried about this there are only so many weekends in a year so events will conflict some times

ohana and this event in mojave seem pretty small compared to hukilau which has almost a thousand people at it so it shouldnt matter

a voice of reason. good observation, zonker88.

plus, without being able to compare attendance lists, claiming people who used to go to one event are now going to another event is pretty bogus. many of the people i spoke with at ohana had never been to a tiki event before, or no other event other than ohana.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 8:27 pm   Permalink

Sorry Queen K.... mine was a half-assed attempt at agreeing with BigBro. There are only so many weekends available in a year, and an increasing number of events filling those weekends.

It is great that people feel very strongly about one event or another, but to try and blame one organizer or another for 'trying to cock-block' or otherwise compete with another event is just silly and petty. When you go to a hotel, or in this case a campground, and say I would like to book your hotel please, all of it, there are only so many weekends that are going to be available to you. Sure you try to be aware of the other events, particularly if your event is similar in format to another event. But when you have two choices for available dates and one of them just won't work, you've got to do what works best for the event your planning.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 10:13 pm   Permalink

Chip I agree with you it's a shame, I missed hukilau this year cause my mom was sick, and was looking forward to going next year. I am sure in the end it will all work out.

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 10:46 pm   Permalink

Now that everything seems to have been nicely resolved, what I wanna know is Who's going to do Thursday, Friday at the Hukilau and then fly like Phil Collins during Live Aid to Mojave Oasis for Saturday and Sunday?

I'll throw in $20.00 to make it even more appealing.

I'm serious.

*Phil Collins image is not from Live Aid but Phil Collins in a Hawaiian Shirt pictures are harder to find then you'd think.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 11:27 am   Permalink

I'll be that guy... I'll drive like mad from Hukilau then I'll jump a flight from central command here in Tampa and get airdropped into the Mojave.

Operation Jumbo

Anyway - I'm glad the Hukilau ain't in June anymore because it's too freaking hot.
Long live April Hukilau.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 11:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-25 11:27, pablus wrote:
I'll be that guy... I'll drive like mad from Hukilau then I'll jump a flight from central command here in Tampa and get airdropped into the Mojave.

Operation Jumbo

Anyway - I'm glad the Hukilau ain't in June anymore because it's too freaking hot.
Long live April Hukilau.

here Hear. Try that deal in the damn Chinese shirts. Sweatilau.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 1:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod 2011-08-24 13:45 ]

xkcd, ftw.

Suzanne

[ This Message was edited by: suzanne 2011-08-25 13:26 ]

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bill5925
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-25 3:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-24 02:06, Queen Kamehameha wrote:
Well it's the same date I had this year or the same weekend. I am trying to keep it the same as it was Isn't hukilau in june?

You are right. I'm sorry. In that case Hukilau folks should have checked with you. For me, it's going to depend on finances. It costs thousands for me to go to Hukilau, but it really is a great event - especially the Mai-Kai. MO was just about perfect and very affordable but on a much smaller scale. Maybe TC needs a Calendar where everyone can post their events as plans are made?

View Profile of Bill5925 Send a personal message to Bill5925      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-28 5:03 pm   Permalink

Heck, if I'm going to anything in April it will be Mojave. I can go to Ft. Lauderdale any time (family in North Key Largo) but how often do I get to go to the Mojave Desert?

Heck, I'm thinking rent an RV (or buy one) and head west for April and May for Mojave and Caliente. Then in August head west again for SG101, Oasis, then on to Florida for Celebration VI, then Atlanta for Dragon*Con. Epic road trips...

[ This Message was edited by: phinz 2011-08-28 17:03 ]

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 12:55 pm   Permalink

hmmm... I go to the Huki every-other year...2012 is my year and 10th anniversary for that venue. However, then again, i go for the 80+ degree water of the Atlantic... i remember going in may and it being s bit chilly... all and all warmer then an April pond... Ah' crap...... too many choices! and too much FUN!!! Love it all!! do as much as one can!!!

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 1:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

No one knew the dates of Hukilau this year until today, so, Queen K is innocent. Plus, her event is not a competitor in general with a large event like Oasis or Hukilau. If anything, it likely hurts her to be near the date of Hukilau not the other way around. She should get our sympathies if it doesn't get as well attended.

We have wanted to go to Mojave Oasis, but, it is a 3-4 day haul of the camper to get there. Would attend if we could.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2011-08-29 14:03 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-30 10:59 am   Permalink

Thanks Swanky!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation