[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki VJ day parade in Honolulu 1945
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
VJ day parade in Honolulu 1945
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-02 12:31 pm   Permalink

My dad sent this to me and I thought I would share with everyone.As many of us know
Polynesian and tiki themed bars and restaurants started in the states after the
war ended as a form of escapism .My Dad served in the navy and was stationed in Hawaii,
Philippines and Japan .This was sent to my father by a friend of his .

JUST THINK HOW THIS YOUNG LADY FELT WHEN SHE DISCOVERED THE VIDEO HER FATHER SHOT
This footage was found in daughters fathers camera ,and had been there since 1945
Great home movie put on a video of a Spontaneous Victory Parade in Honolulu in 1945.
Take a look at this absolutely awesome video! Notice the cars and jeeps, the youth.
The guys in khaki or gray shirts and black ties are Navy officers or chiefs. The rest
are Army or Marine. How young they all were to do what they did. They must be in their
nineties now.This guy really captured a moment in history! (You can listen to Jimmy
Durante singing "I'll be Seeing You" in the background, too).
This is a super video of a time past - we need to remember and be THANKFUL.Check out
the color fidelity. It's not bad for 1945. Nothing will ever compare with Kodachrome
film. The sound track except for Jimmy Durante also sounds authentic. That is in
itself unusual for a home movie from 1945. Few could afford sound with their cameras.

http://vimeo.com/5645171

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-02 12:46 pm   Permalink

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-02 1:30 pm   Permalink

Wow...thank you so much for sharing that. That was emotional watching that, and the view of Waikiki in 1945..great!

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-02 2:28 pm   Permalink

What a treasure! Great color, great cars. Guys standing on the roof of pickups while driving! Loved "the wave" thing the guy did will his belly after drinking from the bottle

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-02 6:57 pm   Permalink

Goosebumps, man! Thanks for the link.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-02 7:04 pm   Permalink

My Dad was in the Army stationed in Oahu during World War II. He passed away three years ago, but I think of him very often. I have a number of pictures from his time there.
Thank you so much for sharing this.
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hanalei Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-03 8:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting this short video. Echo BigKahuna, goosebumps. Love Hawaii, but don't go to Waikiki anymore, wish it still had the charm as shown in the video, small town feel!

View Profile of Hanalei Tiki Send a personal message to Hanalei Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-06 09:30 am   Permalink

I see the vid has evoked emotion 66 years later for you as it did for me .
Glad you enjoyed a little piece of history .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-06 3:37 pm   Permalink

Very nice film! Quite a moment in history. One thing to note though is that the sound effects were added. The original film was silent, as noted by the poster in the comments section. But that doesn't detract from its historical significance or entertainment value. Bringing history to life is always a good thing.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
umeone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 05:22 am   Permalink

Thank you for sharing this film clip, a glimpse into our history of the best part of the war. Very well done and very emotional, priceless!

View Profile of umeone Send a personal message to umeone  Email umeone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 05:44 am   Permalink

Amazing!!

Thanks you for sharing this wonderful tribute to all our men and women in uniform.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deke Kahala
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-07 11:14 am   Permalink

What a great home movie!

View Profile of Deke Kahala Send a personal message to Deke Kahala      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Slob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-08 3:36 pm   Permalink

THAT was just awesome. I was very moved by that. A great glimpse into the past.

and...I want every one of those cars!

Mahalo nui loa,
TS

View Profile of Tiki Slob Send a personal message to Tiki Slob  Email Tiki Slob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-08 7:35 pm   Permalink

There's more delicious taste of old Hawaii in the film than there is left in most Hawaii these day's. I often refer to youtube for reflection on the good ol' days of Hawaii nei, it was once a more special than most can ever imagine.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-18 2:08 pm   Permalink

Agreed and well stated msteeln.You should know since you live in Hawaii today !

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation