[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Mai-Kai Calendar Girls Website
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Mai-Kai Calendar Girls Website
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-05 3:49 pm   Permalink

I started this before Oasis and took some time to day to get the 1963 page done.

Mai-Kai Calendar Girls

I will be adding pages of all my calendar as I find time. If you want to help me by sharing your calendars, please do! I'd like to have them all online. What I currently need are:

Before 1963?
After 1980?

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs coming Winter 2011!

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2011-09-08 07:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2013-12-07 10:55 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-05 5:25 pm   Permalink

Swanky,

Great project, thanks for putting in the time to post these.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-06 12:44 pm   Permalink

Great job Swank!
This really needed to be done.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-06 4:53 pm   Permalink

Swanky,

Thank you for such a visually pleasurable tour back into Mai-Kai history! A project worthy of our pre-eminent Mai-Kai scholar!

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-06 6:47 pm   Permalink

Way to go, Tim. Couldn't have said it better than Tiki Tom D already did. Looking forward to more eye candy!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-08 07:01 am   Permalink

1964 is done.

I had these already scanned, so it was a quick job for these pages. May slow down from here.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-20 07:37 am   Permalink

1966 is done.

Posting these calendars has already lead me to 3 former Molokai girls who I am interviewing and look forward to meeting! Dee, Ellen and Angel.

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-09-20 07:55 am   Permalink

Bless you, Swanky.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-20 08:01 am   Permalink

Make that 4. Diane too!

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-21 3:50 pm   Permalink

The Oct '66 image... interesting photo. I'd be curious to know where it was taken. PNG masks are not plentiful at the Mai-Kai today. You'd think those would have been indoors and protected and possibly still around. Maybe they are tucked into a nook or diorama that I can't recall right now.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-21 4:06 pm   Permalink

And the '66 inside cover image just screams BARNEY WEST, of course. Sorry for focusing on the tikis. The girls are nice and all, but for most of them (certainly not all) it was probably a nice job while they worked their way through college. Is it insensitive to say that it's the lost and fallen tiki idols I'm really interested in? I'm genuinely interested in the people of the day, but the hunks of wood always distract me.

"Hi, nice to meet you! So you were a Molokai server in the 60s? I'll bet you have a million stories to... <head snaps to the right and pupils shrink> What is that over there?? No, over there! I've never noticed that before!"

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-22 07:57 am   Permalink

Yes, I really wonder where those massive Barney Wests went...

As for the masks, there is one of those I recognize as being in the Mai-Kai today. It is a pretty rare PNG mask that is in the back room on the garden side. I always point it out on my Mai-Kai Walking Tour. The others look more like OA type of stuff that may have been custom painted or something. Too new and nice looking. They may have migrated outside. One looks like a piece that is outside the windows in Molokai now, but heavily faded.

I would think most of what you see is still around though. It was before 77 when the Thornton Oceanic Arts collection was donated to Stanford.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-27 07:08 am   Permalink

1967 is out there now...

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-12 12:20 pm   Permalink

1975 calendar is online now.

Matt Helm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-12 2:35 pm   Permalink

I missed out on the 1973 calendar that was listed on ebay...

Love these! Thanks for putting them up!

View Profile of Matt Helm Send a personal message to Matt Helm      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation