FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Polynesian Floor Show - (Vintage!) thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Polynesian Floor Show - (Vintage!) thread
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-09-14 2:21 pm   Permalink

Nice thread. Another one that probably merits a link here would be the Queen's Surf thread, because of the numerous Polynesian revues that passed through there. And of course the king of the Queen's Surf, holding court in the Barefoot Bar, was Sterling Mossman and his "Barefoot in Paradise" gang. These pics are over on that thread, but I can't resist copying them here:

A clipping for Sterling Mossman's new year's eve show in December 64.

Famous Hawaii Five-O hips from Sterling Mossman's show.

Those hips belong to a young dancer named Helen Kuoha-Turco, who received $150 for her part, and reportedly 16 hours of filming for the Five-O pilot.

Here's Sterling Mossman (on the left) singing Ain't No Big Thing with the band. Note the "SM" on the drums.

Swanky had an interesting comment about Mossman on that thread too:
Quote:
On 2011-05-10 07:20, Swanky wrote:
As I understand it, the Mossman family was greatly responsible for the native Hawaiian culture being brought back into popular recognition. Their luaus were really where it all started.

The Mai-Kai I think worked with them in creating their show way back when. I am still researching this. But, Pualani Avon Mossman was involved in the gift shop in some degree. Again, more as I find out more.

DC also posted stuff on that thread for other Polynesian revues at the Queen's Surf, like Puka Puka Otea and Tavana's Tahiti Revue.

Sorry, this has all been seen already! But I figured nice to have it on this thread, since it's kinda definitive vintage stuff.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 3:05 pm   Permalink

You know Randy, your last image is the first example I have seen that mentions the essential concept of these troupes - dances from ALL the Polynesian islands - Tahiti, Samoa, Maoridom (and Hawaii) - IN PRINT. This kind of "United Colors of Polynesia" theme was used on so many levels in Polynesian pop: For the names of the different rooms, for the dishes on the menu AND of course for the carvings and artifacts. Paul Page's records mixed songs from all the islands.

I am looking for more of that: handbills or posters where this "multi-culti" aspect of these shows is shown in print.

While we are eagerly awaiting Jeff Chenault's album covers, here is a back cover pic of ERNIE MENEHUNE and his Polynesian Friends:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 3:52 pm   Permalink

Some more photos of Ernie Menehune and his band at Latitude 20 in Torrance and a story about Bob Perry from the Velvet Glass web site:

The photos and quotation below were provided by Siouxzan Perry, whose Father, Bob Perry, played guitar with Ernie Menehune. Many of these were taken at the long-gone restaurant Latitude 20° which was located in Torrance, CA.

"Ernie Menehune was always known to me as "Uncle Ernie". My Dad played lead guitar with him for years. My Dad was also a member of the Polynesian Society and played at and attended every Luau at the Latitude 20.. with my Mom. As a kid growing up I never could figure out why there was always strange food items in our fridge- Lomi Lomi Salmon, Poi.. Kalua Pig.. Jeepers.. Rattan furniture, grass mats, tiki gods everywhere.. and those haunting memories of my Dad singing to me as he played his guitar.. Princess Pupule, and the Cockeyed Mayor of Kaunakakai......My Dad also played with Sam Kaapuni and the Polynesians. as well as Joe Keawe." ...... Siouxzan Perry

Siouxzan is the manager of Kitten Natividad, Tura Satana and many other stars of Russ Meyer films.

Here is the link to the website.

http://www.velvetglass.com/tikipages/erniemenehunebw.html

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 4:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-14 07:40, tikigreg wrote:

That letter is great! And what penmanship! Who writes like that anymore? I missed the earlier post (from 2005) about the Tahiti Village in Key Largo. I had no knowledge of the place before. It was such a different world then. So many places that we know little about and a world we've only touched on...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-09-14 6:25 pm   Permalink

Here's a Japanese pop film take on the subject. From the Wakadaisho series of movies starring Yuzo Kayama, which paralleled the Elvis movies in many ways, some shots from "Hawaii no Wakadaisho" - loosely translated as Young Guy in Hawaii.

My favorite part is when the hula dancers break into the twist a couple times during this song...

And here's an extra from another movie in the series, Ginza no Wakadaisho. That one doesn't even take place in the islands, but it's kinda reflective of the phenomenon that sometimes it seems like the Hawaii / Polynesia fantasy played a role in Japanese midcentury culture almost as much as in the US.

Sorry if this is veering into another unplanned offshoot of the topic (ie, Polynesian acts on film)!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-15 02:39 am   Permalink

On 2011-09-14 07:59, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow, how cool, the Quin-Tikis with a Hei Tiki logo! Where did the "Quin" come from?

[/quote]

Thanks for those links too!

As for the name, Quin = Five (there were five members in the band). This leaves some options open for any newly formed bands out there looking a cool name: The Duo-Tikis, The Trio-Tikis, The Quadra-Tikis.... The Sext-Tikis? (Hexa-Tikis?) Or maybe just The Mono-Tiki if you're going solo...

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-15 08:27 am   Permalink

I could write and book, but someone already is, about the Mossman family.

In short, George Mossman started what may have been the first luau for the tourists in Hawaii in 1934. He also taught hula and chant and brought all the oldest natives he could together to form what might be thought to be the first Polynesian Cultural Center. His daughter Pualani became the Matson Lines face of Hawaii and she traveled all over as a dancer. With Ray Kinney, etc. George Kainapau, the famous singer was George's wife Rebecca's brother. Alfred Apaka is in that family and of course, Sterling Mossman is part of the family. Pualani ran the gift shop in the Mai-Kai for many years.

On that letter from Faalia. I have talked to him and met him at Hukilau. Kind of a disappointment that he traveled down for the event and noone but me knew who he was and talked to him. He brought scrapbooks and albums. I very much want to visit him, but only phone calls for now.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-15 11:35 am   Permalink

aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-09-15 08:27, Swanky wrote:
In short, George Mossman started what may have been the first luau for the tourists in Hawaii in 1934. He also taught hula and chant and brought all the oldest natives he could together to form what might be thought to be the first Polynesian Cultural Center.

Lalani Village is what Swanky is talking about here. Located about where the Park Shore hotel, it closed before WWII.

Click here

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-09-15 11:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-09-15 11:54 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-15 3:18 pm   Permalink

An unknown group of performers from a TIME Photo Essay on Alfred Shaheen. "Some hotels attempted to recapture the island magic with themed bars & hula girls".

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-15 5:40 pm   Permalink

...and Oceanic wall art made in Whittier, CA!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-17 08:35 am   Permalink

A few more from California.

The floor show at the Bali Hai in San Diego.

The floating band at the Tonga Room

An ad for the Ta-Morays at the Tahitian Village in Downey.

And another one posted by Sabu featuring the Matais.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-17 3:43 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2011-09-15 15:18, A frame wrote:
An unknown group of performers from a TIME Photo Essay on Alfred Shaheen. "Some hotels attempted to recapture the island magic with themed bars & hula girls".

This was a photo of the staff at the Beachcomber Hotel and Restaurant in Harrisburg Pa. Here is a link to the thread.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32819&forum=2

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deke Kahala
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-23 10:56 am   Permalink

Ok, maybe not a show, but this picture of the Kahala Twins, appears to be more of a jam session.

View Profile of Deke Kahala Send a personal message to Deke Kahala      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deke Kahala
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-26 10:12 am   Permalink

Found a newspaper clipping.

View Profile of Deke Kahala Send a personal message to Deke Kahala      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-03 12:51 pm   Permalink

The Polynesian dancers at The Tikis in Monterey Park.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation