FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving should I spar a piece of cedar if it's going to be left outside?
should I spar a piece of cedar if it's going to be left outside?
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-13 05:28 am   Permalink

Most of the cedar stuff I've done was stuff I planned to have inside, so thus far this hasn't been an issue.

I'm so used to palm, I have no ides what to expect from a piece of cedar left outdoors.

I have been going the hand-rubber poly route with all of them (at Aloha Station's suggestion - which has worked PERFECTLY by the way) but I don't know if this is enough to protect them outdoors.

Any thoughts?

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-15 09:16 am   Permalink

anyone?

Bueller?

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-15 09:45 am   Permalink

Cedar can be rot resistant and bug resistant, but it is wood and all wood rots eventually. You may have seen cedar patio furniture, and up north here people have cedar shingle roofs. I'd say if you want to be sure that it lasts the longest and keeps bugs away, coat it however you would another piece. Or experiment and leave it natural.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-15 10:26 am   Permalink

The issue with the Poly is that it does not soak into the wood. Moisture and sun will cause the wood to swell and shrink, resulting in the poly peeling/flaking off over time. I'd say leave the cedar bare and let it "age". The poly will help keep the color of the wood but I doubt it will help preserve it. Wood rots!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-15 8:17 pm   Permalink

au naturale it is!

thanks for the input guys.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation