Crossroads of the Pacific Sign
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-24 09:46 am   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2012-01-21 06:03, Dustycajun wrote:
And a few more photos of the sign.

Are we sure this photo is of the same sign? All of the other arrows are in miles.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-24 4:42 pm   Permalink

Your right Phillip, it is different. Maybe an upgrade to the sign in the later 1950s? It came from this tourist slide on ebay.

It claims to be the Crossroads of the Pacific in Honolulu. Have you ever seen a facsimile like this before?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-24 5:22 pm   Permalink

aloha,

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a wholly different item then a sign. I suspect it is a air direction turbine, perhaps at Hickham, Tripler or Pearl. Flight times, air speed and direction would have been important to pilots of the day. Looking closer at the sign, (and after a few hours of additional thought) it's 9 hours to Los Angeles, so could this have been at the Honolulu International Airport?

Crossroads of the Pacific is a generic term used then and didn't only apply to the Kau Kau Korner....

Blackhawk Films apparently made travel slides from their travel films for home use in the 1950's...

Thoughts?

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-01-24 19:57 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-07 08:07 am   Permalink

I picked up this old photo of the crossroads sign.

And saw this ashtray from the Kau Kau Corner.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-07 09:35 am   Permalink

It's a fun sign, not just as an icon of Honolulu history, but also fun to see what locations are considered significant at the time, and how they change over time. In the WWII photo, they've got Saipan on there, but not on some of the others. DC's most recent image has an arrow for Petropavlovsk??!

Quote:
On 2012-01-21 06:03, Dustycajun wrote:

Not to sidetrack on this one, since it really looks like a different thing, but I'd just add that the directions are clearly not supposed to be accurate either. I don't think there's any place on earth where you could have those directions for pointing to Los Angeles, Rio, and Tahiti from the same origin. Probably just entertainment value anyway. It is kind of fun when they try to be roughly accurate like the Kau Kau Corner sign though.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 12:11 pm   Permalink

I picked up this nice little matchbook from the Kau Kau Jr. It was a hamburger stand opened by Sunny Sundstrom, the owner of the original Kau Kau Corner.

The building was designed by Pete Wimberly and was described as follows: “The Kau Kau Jr. hamburger stand on Nimitz Highway (1956), with its little glass kitchen huddled beneath a fantastical, arrow-shaped, concrete-slab roof was certainly Honolulu’s most fanciful small building.”

I tried finding a photo of the building to no avail. May Phillip Roberts could help out on this one.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-06 5:56 pm   Permalink

Nice color photo of the sign.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-02 06:52 am   Permalink

A news press photo showing Mrs. Coopersmith from Australia replacing the misspelled "Sidney" arrow on the sign.

DC

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-02 07:34 am   Permalink

If much rather have Ms. Coopersmith correct my spelling than Grog any day.

Thanks for continuing to post here DC.

Jeff btd

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2014-07-02 07:35 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-02 9:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-02 07:34, bigtikidude wrote:
If much rather have Ms. Coopersmith correct my spelling than Grog any day.

I agree, Mrs. Coopersmith it is for spelling corrections!

DC

Bubba Kingfloat

Posted: 2014-07-30 6:12 pm   Permalink

I can't find pictures right now but there's a replica of the sign at the visitor's center at Pearl Harbor.

View Profile of Bubba Kingfloat Send a personal message to Bubba Kingfloat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bubba Kingfloat

Posted: 2014-08-01 6:14 pm   Permalink

Here it is...this was taken in February 2012. It looks almost the same as the replica shown earlier in this post.

[ This Message was edited by: Bubba Kingfloat 2014-08-01 18:15 ]

View Profile of Bubba Kingfloat Send a personal message to Bubba Kingfloat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation