[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Skunk Eye Spar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Skunk Eye Spar
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-23 01:00 am   Permalink

I love the scope and sheer volume of your collections. Hopefully I'll amass that much Far Eastern, Tiki and vintage stuff some day.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-07-25 12:58 pm   Permalink

As is more often than not the case, compromises in gender aesthetics are no longer an issue where the man-cave is concerned. As my man-cave consists of a garage recording studio outside the home itself, a proper tikification seemed in order. As documented elsewhere...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19427&forum=18&hilite=splitting%20bamboo

...some expense was saved on ordering pre-cut bamboo by purchasing six-foot lengths locally and splitting them myself. As the garage also functions as household storage, the tiki mug overflow and bar supplies greet you upon entering.

A small painting by Ricardo B. Enriquez enhances the sound booth.

The door is clad with roofing metal on the outside, and was a challenge to maneuver & install alone. Porthole windows are augmented by a ship's wheel on the inside. To the left of the door is a vintage souvenir Vegas tray.

Alien spacecraft & zeppelin models mingle with the tikiana: emblematic of my sprawling musical influences.

Room to add more guitars & gongs.

An added divider wall provided display space for tiki prints & signed music posters that the house can't accommodate.

Though functional, the studio is by no means finished. The current lighting is inexpensive aluminum fixtures from Lowe's, and is one of the things I plan to replace with proper tiki fixtures. There's also room for a tiki pole at the end of the sound booth enclosure.

Simple corrugated roofing provides a reflective backdrop for the guitars.

The cozy hideaway is an inspirational place to create. It occurs to me that now would be a great time to give proper credit to my electrician who expanded the building's power supply capability: without him, this wouldn't be possible.

For the curious, my music is available for preview here...

http://musaphonic.bandcamp.com/

[ This Message was edited by: White Devil 2013-09-15 07:09 ]

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-25 1:47 pm   Permalink

Awesome!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-12-22 07:32 am   Permalink

We've emptied out our hall closet in order to allow for our shrine to Jumbeaux (as in Mumbeaux), acquired on this year's tiki expedition to Tennessee (see http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=46251&forum=16&vpost=695940&hilite=george%20walls ). Jumbeaux made his first appearance in Tiki Magazine's feature on carver George Walls.

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-22 09:29 am   Permalink

Hey W D.
That is a masterful blend you put together. Lottsa vintage items, non “traditional" wall treatments, etc.
Yet there is still a strong “tiki” presence. Well done!
Thanx for the inspiration
P S, Don’t know how I missed your initial post.
Any chance that you could post a pic of that lamp in your last post that will highlight the detail in the lamp itself?
Mahalo

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-12-22 09:37 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-22 12:58 pm   Permalink

WD I've always enjoyed reading your posts here on TC but for some reason I never saw this original thread. Your house is amazing. I really enjoyed perusing over the photos. Thanks for posting.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-22 6:11 pm   Permalink

Wow...love the musical area and all the other things you did. Very Old World Char...FABULOUS!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lucky Star Tiki Bar
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-23 08:08 am   Permalink

Awesome Tikiness. Looks like a great place to hang out and relax. Love all of it

View Profile of Lucky Star Tiki Bar Send a personal message to Lucky Star Tiki Bar  Email Lucky Star Tiki Bar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-12-23 08:31 am   Permalink

Quote:
Any chance that you could post a pic of that lamp in your last post that will highlight the detail in the lamp itself?

Thanks for the thumbs-up, nui: here ya go...

Upon closer inspection, it becomes obvious that the lampshade is simply an ornamental birdcage trimmed with scraps of tapa cloth and burlap, and fitted with a stained glass lightbulb: total cost of less than $35.

White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-12-23 08:48 am   Permalink

SoCal Savage,
VampiressRN,
Lucky Star Tiki Bar,...

Thanks to each of you for the appreciation: having a great home hangout adds one more item to our list of reasons for not wanting to go to work, but then we have to allow for financing future additions!

In looking back over the photos, I realized there've been a few additions & alterations, and since it's the holiday season, I snapped a few more this a.m.

Mahalo, cheers and thanks for looking.

AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-12-23 1:57 pm   Permalink

Nice place Mr White Devil - the kind of place as a guest you can sit for a few hours & keep spotting new things

I have a question: what more can you tell me about the print in the left of this photo?

I've seen to before & I like it but I don't know where it's from / who it's by!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-12-23 3:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I have a question: what more can you tell me about the print in the left of this photo?

That's the most common print by August Holland: a search on TC should reveal the title (I forget). He did three other tiki-related prints, but in extremely small runs to the extent that they're quite scarce. The one we have is usually available on eBay & Etsy, and I see it in antique stores here pretty regularly.

Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-23 3:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-23 15:21, White Devil wrote:
Quote:

That's the most common print by August Holland.

"The Pearl of Wisdom" is the name.

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2013-12-24 01:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

White Devil:
August Holland: The one we have is usually available on eBay & Etsy, and I see it in antique stores here pretty regularly.

Quote:

Loki-Tiki:
"The Pearl of Wisdom" is the name.

Ask & you will receive! Thanks guys

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2013-12-24 04:31 am   Permalink

double post!

[ This Message was edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-12-24 04:31 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation