FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Just picked up my mugs from being fired and want to make a mold Help Please!
Just picked up my mugs from being fired and want to make a mold Help Please!
Tiki Tonie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-05 6:40 pm   Permalink

Do I need to glaze my mugs before I make a mold?
Do you all have any tips or guidance for this first timer?

Can't wait for your suggestions. Remember, I've never done any of this before so you might have to speak in laymen's terms.

Thank you All!

View Profile of Tiki Tonie Send a personal message to Tiki Tonie  Email Tiki Tonie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-05 6:53 pm   Permalink

Search for threads by Wendy [danlovestikis] as she has many posts with pictures on this subject. This is a good one http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=38423&forum=18

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-05 6:55 pm   Permalink

Tiki Tonie, here is the definitive thread on mold making by Master Artist Babalu with some help by Master Artist Bowana

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28065&forum=18

As to your question to glaze or not - depends on the detail of the mug. Glazing fills in and covers texture and detail but it also makes your master smooth and hard for the plaster to stick to. If you glaze you may lose detail, if you don't glaze and use mold soap your mold could stick to your master.

PS, ceramic questions are best posted in the "Other Crafts" forum - the guys here in "Carving" think that ceramics are... JUST KIDDING

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tonie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-05 6:55 pm   Permalink

Thank you, I'll take a look now!

View Profile of Tiki Tonie Send a personal message to Tiki Tonie  Email Tiki Tonie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tonie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-05 7:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the head up MadDogMike! I'll ask my question over in the ceramics section. I didn't know there was a ceramics section.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation