FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Tiki bar found on road dead... almost.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki bar found on road dead... almost.
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-15 8:12 pm   Permalink

I found this bar on the sidewalk waiting for the garbage truck. Couldn't let it go that way. Although I plan to make my own large bar for a decent sized room, this thing cried out for help. I removed a lot of white spray paint from the front using acetone in a spray bottle and a toothbrush taped to a sabre saw (highly recommended for removing paint from difficult recessed areas) without further damaging the finish. Sanded the few remains of finish off the top, which was probably in the worst shape. The wood has a nice grain.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here though. Maybe match the stain then lacquer? Any suggestions? Has anyone restored something this worn out?

[ This Message was edited by: Zinctiki 2011-10-15 20:25 ]

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki  Email Zinctiki Goto the website of Zinctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-15 9:05 pm   Permalink

Toothbrush on a jigsaw - brilliant!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-15 9:07 pm   Permalink

It looks like it has good bones...and free...good save. Sorry, no help from me but post pictures when you finish it. Seems like the same dark stain would be advisable.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-15 9:07 pm   Permalink

I refinshed a chair last summer that was in rough shape. Not as rough as this, but close. I sanded it down, stained it and then varnished the hell out of it. I didn't try to match the stain since I didn't like the color. If you want to preserve the color of the bar as is, then you may need to do a lot of color matching, maybe on the bottom to find the right shade of stain, then apply two or three coats of the varnish.

....and a fantastic find by the way!

[ This Message was edited by: ErkNoLikeFire 2011-10-15 21:08 ]

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-16 06:04 am   Permalink

I like it like it is.
The top could use some help.
In a dark tiki bar the old look of it is just right.
But if you wanted you could shellac it.
Do test spots on the back side legs to see if you like the results.
The shellac will blend in the worn out areas.
Use the amber on the far right of photo.
Nice bar!!!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-17 08:52 am   Permalink

Thank you all for responding. I'll try the Shellac, it sounds relatively quick - and I have zero free time.

The remaining bits of finish have since been removed from the top railing, practically by rubbing by hand. It was almost dangerous how the hard slivers would fall off or jab the fingers. The rest I hope to preserve under the Shellac. Thanks for the suggestions, ErkNoLikeFire and tikiskip!
I'll test underneath the bar to decide.

[ This Message was edited by: Zinctiki 2011-10-17 09:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Zinctiki 2011-10-17 09:15 ]

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki  Email Zinctiki Goto the website of Zinctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thruliquidspace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-18 7:21 pm   Permalink

That's a hell of a dumpster dive my friend. Can't wait to see it when you refinish

View Profile of Thruliquidspace Send a personal message to Thruliquidspace  Email Thruliquidspace     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-22 5:11 pm   Permalink

I did some more work on it today. Still looking for a decent stain for rough areas. The amber shellac looks good, though.

In the meantime I stumbled upon this life-size mermaid coffee table, a guy down the street decided to move and sell everything. $10 was fair I thought. It was also very rough, the paint was sloppy '80s pastels that were chipped and over-sprayed everywhere. I painted her gloss black and intend to sand then highlight her next. The artist isn't bad. I hope she turns out okay

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-22 7:10 pm   Permalink

Your killing me! how are you finding this stuff.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-22 8:06 pm   Permalink

You paid $10? I'll give ya $20. That's twice the profit (in low annoying voice)
Seriously jealous on that find, good job sir!!

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-22 10:11 pm   Permalink

Chuck: Honestly, I have a retired neighbor friend who is a full-time bargain hunter. After casually mentioning my passion for tiki and oceanic arts, she's been like a tiki bloodhound finding these things as well as tiki mugs and other gems for me. Everyone should have such a good neighbor.

ErkNoLikeFire: When I'm finished restoring it I may have to pay someone to take it away!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-22 10:26 pm   Permalink

Nice mermaid, is carved wood or a cast material like resin or plaster?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-22 10:48 pm   Permalink

I need me one of those "neighbor bargain hunter's" lets see what you fiend next?

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-22 11:04 pm   Permalink

Mike: Both plaster and fiberglass I think. Top has plaster and some iron rod showing, underneath is certainly fiberglass. Go figure.

tikigik
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-10-23 06:11 am   Permalink

WOW! All I can say is WOW!

View Profile of tikigik Send a personal message to tikigik  Goto the website of tikigik ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation