FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Tiki bar found on road dead... almost.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki bar found on road dead... almost.
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-08 01:40 am   Permalink

Looks great! I like this picture with the heavenly sunlight streaming down upon it and the rainbow halo. If listen closely you can hear the angels singing "Hallelujia!"

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-08 06:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-08 01:40, MadDogMike wrote:
Looks great! I like this picture with the heavenly sunlight streaming down upon it and the rainbow halo. If listen closely you can hear the angels singing "Hallelujia!"

Thanks, Mike. I heard something like angry villagers after a few of my Frankenstein rum concoctions

Quote:

On 2011-11-07 18:44, RevBambooBen wrote:
Nice score on the re-bar!

Nice flooring too.

Don't waste time and money with base boards in the room upstairs.

They'll all be covered floor to ceiling.

Thanks, Ben. Got the flooring in Little Saigon fer cheap. Lotta work though. Will not buy baseboard then!]

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki  Email Zinctiki Goto the website of Zinctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-04 2:14 pm   Permalink

Here we go again, could have named the thread "Bar Rescue" but that's taken I think.

Here's another one that was saved from the dumpster by a couple of hours. It sat in a yard for years but was too big and heavy to lift over the fence or it would have been gone long ago. Lots of pressed wood made even me hesitate this time, but the tapered base was just too interesting. This is how I found it, leaves and all:

The light bulb wire had been chewed through by a mouse. The pressed wood top was warped and cracked, so I knocked off the top layer and belt-sanded off the glued portions. A plywood top is going on today with a zebrawood veneer next. Not sure about stain yet (ideas?)

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki  Email Zinctiki Goto the website of Zinctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-04 3:50 pm   Permalink

Great project, love those restorations jobs
be sure to show us the finished results.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-04 5:12 pm   Permalink

Wow, another great find for you. Obviously you are destined to "raise the dead" with a sander and a paint brush. Got pictures of where you first refinish ended up in your home? Where are you planning on putting the new find?

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-04 6:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-04 17:12, VampiressRN wrote:
Wow, another great find for you. Obviously you are destined to "raise the dead" with a sander and a paint brush. Got pictures of where you first refinish ended up in your home? Where are you planning on putting the new find?

Well Vamp, I still haven't finished the tiki room so the old bar's getting worked hard in the dining area while it awaits its fate. We did need the extra rum&stuff storage so it's been useful. As to the new find, I don't know. Can't resist rescuing these old bars. Probably sell one or both and build a larger bar upstairs. That was the original plan before life interfered - as it tends to do.

Oh, and I found the original photo of the first one on the curb awaiting the trash truck.

[ This Message was edited by: Zinctiki 2014-05-04 18:51 ]

Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-04 7:14 pm   Permalink

A little OT, I rescued this 6'W x6.5'H wicker shelf a while back. It was another barely-standing thing after being outside for 3 years. There were even eggs inside the enclosed shelves!

These wicker shelves are usually a dime a dozen but this one had some decent work in it and the size is huge. So it's now mine and about 80% restored.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-04 8:16 pm   Permalink

Wow...if you stained that dark, it would make a great back bar for your other dark bar...JMHO. You must have a pick-up truck...it would be fun dumpster diving with you...LOL

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-05 11:41 am   Permalink

Neighbor has a pickup. But my van carries the costlier refurb materials.

Excellent idea about making the wicker match the bar! Gonna try it.

[ This Message was edited by: Zinctiki 2014-05-05 15:31 ]

Tiki Tex
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-05 7:09 pm   Permalink

I picked up a bar like your second "find" in OKC about a year ago. I was shocked to see another one like it! Does anybody know the history / lineage of them? I am now quite curious to learn a bit more about the bar. I'll have to find the pix of when we got it vs. how it looks today...

View Profile of Tiki Tex Send a personal message to Tiki Tex  Email Tiki Tex     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-06 9:39 pm   Permalink

YEAH....so glad you are going to stain and pair with your first bar...that dark stain looks classy!!!

My bar is a 60's number in a yellow oak finish...when I bought a cabinet to use as the backbar, I had my handyman stain it a little darker to match...I think it turned out OK, it works for me. That storage unit you have looks pretty big...you may have to add stabilization framing to the back, as I think you will be able to store a hoard of alcohol bottles and mixers on there. Can hardly wait to see it.

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-08 1:04 pm   Permalink

These finds - and fixes - are AMAZING!!! Fantastic on all counts!

Color me jealous!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-08 2:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-05 19:09, Tiki Tex wrote:
I picked up a bar like your second "find" in OKC about a year ago. I was shocked to see another one like it! Does anybody know the history / lineage of them? I am now quite curious to learn a bit more about the bar. I'll have to find the pix of when we got it vs. how it looks today...

Does yours have particle board shelves and top? I haven't seen any markings on it. Probably an old Kmart or Gemco thing (remember them?)

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-08 7:44 pm   Permalink

WOW! You say those wicker shelves are a dime a dozen, but I have NEVER seen anything like that around these parts. Wish I did because I would snatch one up if it was cheap.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-09 06:01 am   Permalink

Good stuff
Now get da bar done so we can see them all together

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation