FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Sammy Hagar rum?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Sammy Hagar rum?
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-10-20 10:42 am   Permalink

New issue of Hawaii magazine has full page ad for "Sammy's Beach Bar Rum." Picture in ad is an 80-proof white rum, with "Product of Hawaii" and "Cane Rum" prominently displayed. Can't find too much else about it. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

(I've cross-posted this on Ministry of Rum forums, too)

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-20 1:13 pm   Permalink

Doesn't look like it's out yet (November?)but it sounds like it will be good.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-20 1:35 pm   Permalink

It's funny, but normally you would see a product like this and assume a celebrity just slapped their name on a mediocre spirit to make a buck capitalizing on their fame (I'm looking at you, Jimmy Buffet of Landshark Lager). But Hagar's Cabo Wabo tequila is actually considered one of the better tequilas on the market so this rum may be pretty good.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-22 06:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-20 13:35, arriano wrote:
It's funny, but normally you would see a product like this and assume a celebrity just slapped their name on a mediocre spirit to make a buck capitalizing on their fame (I'm looking at you, Jimmy Buffet of Landshark Lager). But Hagar's Cabo Wabo tequila is actually considered one of the better tequilas on the market so this rum may be pretty good.

I hate tequila but I too love Hagar's Cabo Wabo (blue bottle - whatever that one is). I'd give his rum a try. Even if it's not great it's still rum.

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-22 6:56 pm   Permalink

I agree, his blue bottle tequila is excellent. I'm definitely gonna try the rum.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-22 7:04 pm   Permalink

You all make me sick! unless you have seen "Billy Zoom's Punk Rum" any where?
just checking, I am still laughing at you!

Unless you want to hang out or something?

And a and another hic!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-22 9:44 pm   Permalink

Didn't he just sell his interest in the tequilla for big bucks?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-23 08:57 am   Permalink

along these lines, is the Dan Akyroyd crystal head vodka any good? (pls, no rehashing of general anti-vodka rants)

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-23 09:41 am   Permalink

The Crystal Head is supposed to be very good vodka, indeed.
That being said, so many vodkas are made so well these days that you can spend half the money of the "premium" vodkas and get a vodka just as good.
Gvori, Russian Shot, Finlandia, and Russian Standard to name a few.
Finlandia is my favorite, as it has the most flavor... their "midnight sun" during the growing season adds extra oils to the 6-row barley they use, resulting in a fuller more delicious flavor.

As for Sammy rum... I'd like to try a cane rum from Hawaii. I suspect it's gonna be way too damned expensive, though.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-24 02:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-23 08:57, thePorpoise wrote:
along these lines, is the Dan Akyroyd crystal head vodka any good? (pls, no rehashing of general anti-vodka rants)

Crystal Head is excellent. Very smooth and I like the aftertaste. Others favorites: Kettle One, Sky, Grey Goose, Ciroc, and Xellent - a Swiss vodka (red bottle) that has a very unique slightly sweet flavor.
Here's a link you might like:
http://www.gayot.com/spirits/top10vodkas/main.html

Buy a book! Support an independent mixologist, author & publisher!
http://www.KahunaKevin.com

[ This Message was edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-10-24 02:41 ]

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-18 08:21 am   Permalink

Here's an extensive article about Sammy's new rum from the Star Advertiser:

http://www.honolulupulse.com/slider/grind-time-sammy-hagar-looks-to-maui-for-new-spirit

Must be nice to be able to afford 13 acres on maui. Ahhhh....

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-18 12:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting this. It's good to get some firsthand info, although I doubt I'll see it in TN anytime soon.

Cheers and Aloha!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-29 8:38 pm   Permalink

Just tried some of the Sammy's Beach Bar Rum tonight. I'm not an expert taster, but it's certainly not something I'd normally sip, as they recommend in the article (but then, I wouldn't generally sip a white/silver rum to begin with.) To me, the smell & taste is reminiscent of Lucky Charms cereal (the cereal part, not the marshmallows), and it has a bit of an oily texture. I like his tequila better.
(I'm still waiting for Billy Zoom's punk rum!)

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-29 8:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-29 20:38, bamalamalu wrote:

(I'm still waiting for Billy Zoom's punk rum!)

you'll take the Hedgehog's Rum and like it, punkle!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-29 8:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-29 20:38, bamalamalu wrote:
(but then, I wouldn't generally sip a white/silver rum to begin with.)

ah, but you would if you had the El Dorado 3-yr-old on hand. Aye, ye would, I daresay, ye would...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation