FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Drinks and Food Ľ Ľ Had My First (real) Painkiller The Other Night, And Wow!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Had My First (real) Painkiller The Other Night, And Wow!
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-05 10:59 pm   Permalink

To me, the #2 has good balance. Iíve tried the #3 and I didnít care for it.
I set the unopened can of Coco Lopez under hot running water fo bout 25 seconds. I shake the can vigorously and open and pour into a clean Tang Pitcher. An occasional shake during the course of the evening keeps it mixed pretty well. Iíve kept the unused cream for 2-3 weeks in my very cold bar fridge (tightly capped).
I make my Pusserí s P Kís in a shaker and pour em into an ice filled dbl old fashioned. Garnish wid a wedge of orange and freshly grated nutmeg is a must! Iíve never had one served wid cinnamon. Painkillers are easy to make in large batches if youíre expecting company. Seems everybody likes em.
Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-03-05 23:00 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-05 11:01 pm   Permalink

I like to blend with ice if I am making a batch of 6 or so. I will use a shaker for just 1 or 2. They get a bit frothier in the blender.

Coco Lopez does need some vigorous shaking before opening. I guess stirring after opening works as well. Coco Real is a bit easier to use as well. Comes in a squirt bottle and makes for much quicker drinks.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-06 09:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-05 23:01, lunavideogames wrote:
Coco Lopez does need some vigorous shaking before opening. I guess stirring after opening works as well. Coco Real is a bit easier to use as well. Comes in a squirt bottle and makes for much quicker drinks.

Although this is what I prefer to use. Sure it has corn syrup (I think?) but it stores better, therefore lasts longer, and I never have to worry about separation or chalkiness. I give it a good few shakes and its easy peasy. For the record I shake my painkillers every time and would recommend that over blending. Pretty easy, straightforward, and delicious.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-06 10:25 am   Permalink

Thanks very much everybody. That all makes a lot of sense. Next time I'll lightly warm the cream, shake the lopez can, and shake the cocktail!

Made Q.B Coolers (Grog Log) after the unsuccessful painkillers. Those were amazing.

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-06 12:09 pm   Permalink

After trying other methods such as warming and stirring without great results, I eventually just started pouring the whole can of Coco Lopez in the blender by itself and let it run for a couple minutes. It got it thoroughly mixed and made it seem creamier and fluffier. Then I'd just pour it back out, use what I needed, and put any excess in a clean container in the fridge. The leftovers didn't seem to separate again the way it always did if I'd merely stirred/shaken/heated it.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-06 1:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-06 12:09, bamalamalu wrote:
After trying other methods such as warming and stirring without great results, I eventually just started pouring the whole can of Coco Lopez in the blender by itself and let it run for a couple minutes. It got it thoroughly mixed and made it seem creamier and fluffier. Then I'd just pour it back out, use what I needed, and put any excess in a clean container in the fridge. The leftovers didn't seem to separate again the way it always did if I'd merely stirred/shaken/heated it.

Iíll have to give your method (blender) a try Bam.
Mahalo, David

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-08 1:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I did this last night and it worked perfectly. Ended up making Coconauts since I was out of pineapple juice. Whoah, what a drink! Delicious but like eating several pieces of coconut cake while getting drunk.

[ This Message was edited by: wupput 2015-03-08 13:07 ]

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VinylGeek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-08 3:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I've been using a similar technique but I use an electric hand mixer (the one with two whisk attachments) and a bowl. Might try a blender next time, less to clean up

View Profile of VinylGeek Send a personal message to VinylGeek  Email VinylGeek Goto the website of VinylGeek     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-08 3:57 pm   Permalink

Glad it worked for you, wupput! My skills are way below most of you here, so it's a nice novelty to contribute something semi-useful.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattchicago

Posted: 2015-03-24 1:39 pm   Permalink

About a month ago, I had house-guests who weren't accustomed to Tiki drinks. I handed them a printed menu from Chicago's Three Dots & a Dash (a bartender gave it to me a while ago, because I bought a bunch of mugs, and as I'm a good tipper!), and said "I can make almost everything on here."

The Dead Reckoning and Zombie were both well-received... but the Painkiller was the big hit of the week, and the half-dozen or so that I made used up the last of my Pusser's. I used Pusser's traditional recipe, as found on their web site.

For coconut cream, I used "Coco Real" in the squeezy tube, heating it in the microwave for twenty seconds or so to make it flow. I know some consider it inferior to Coco Lopez, but the texture is easy to work with and it lasts for months.

View Profile of mattchicago Send a personal message to mattchicago      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-24 2:20 pm   Permalink

Good job, mattchicago, congrats! The Painkiller is a big hit with my non-cocktailian guests too.

I use Coco Lopez and store it in a glass jar in the fridge. It *always* gets microwaved a bit to make it mix and flow better, and I store it in the fridge. I have heard others use Coco Real, and they like it, but I stick to the Coco Lopez because everyone stocks it in my neighborhood supermarkets and liquor stores. AVOID the low-cal Coco Lopez as it's way too runny and not at all worth the very small calorie savings in your cocktails.

The Painkiller works well with Myers's dark too, although you'll miss out on the subtle aromas and flavors of the Pusser's. You can consider serving it with Myers's to your friends and save the Pusser's for yourself, although Myers's is pretty pricey too, at least here in my part of the country.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-24 10:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-24 14:20, AceExplorer wrote:
Good job, mattchicago, congrats! The Painkiller is a big hit with my non-cocktailian guests too.

The Painkiller works well with Myers's dark too, although you'll miss out on the subtle aromas and flavors of the Pusser's. You can consider serving it with Myers's to your friends and save the Pusser's for yourself, although Myers's is pretty pricey too, at least here in my part of the country.

Some time ago Atomic Tiki Punk tipped me off to making the Painkiller with Kraken. Most excellent tip ATP!
Mahalo

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-24 11:06 pm   Permalink

It's like what the Kraken was made for, David.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-25 10:11 am   Permalink

I've even made it with whiskey instead of rum. works well.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
oroborean
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-28 6:58 pm   Permalink

You need Pusser's to make a Painkiller. And Coco Lopez. I make a crowd pleasing alternative using El Dorado 5 year and coconut milk (not canned, like almond milk). I call it the Painless.

View Profile of oroborean Send a personal message to oroborean      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation