FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » The Grass Skirt, Columbus, OH (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Grass Skirt, Columbus, OH (restaurant)
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-10-31 3:30 pm   Permalink

Name:The Grass Skirt
Type:restaurant
Street:105 N. Grant Street
City:Columbus
State:OH
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Opening Mid September 2012

From article here:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2011/10/volcanos-waterfalls-tiki-torches.html

The Grass Skirt seeks to revive the fire-and-tiki kitsch of tiki bars of yore with Polynesian fare and flair at 105 N. Grant Street in spring 2012. “We’re working on a volcano,” Lessner said. “We can’t promise it yet because it may not work.”

Also part of the South Pacific plans — steaming drinks, a waterfall, Spam, pineapples and maraschino cherries. “We all grew up loving the Kahiki,” she said of the once-popular Columbus restaurant that lives on as a frozen food brand. “We try to find niches. Our restaurant group goes for a fun vibe.” The venture includes the rest of the Columbus Food League team — Carmen Owens, Amy Brennick, Tim Lessner and Harold LaRue. One appeal of the old MadLab Theater and Gallery space was that it was a high-ceiling and open space — giving the business brain trust the freedom to be more creative, including not just the Polynesian decor but the ability to build the kitchen from scratch.

Edited to revise projected opening date.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2012-08-08 21:06 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Anestiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-03 08:13 am   Permalink

Finally, some good tiki news for Columbus Ohio!!

View Profile of Anestiki Send a personal message to Anestiki  Email Anestiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-03 09:16 am   Permalink

You think they know that the predecessor to the Kahiki was called the "Grass Shack"?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-03 2:33 pm   Permalink

Good news!!!
Hey Lessner I got lights if ya need some.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-25 10:16 am   Permalink

Thank you Liz for bringing back Tiki to Columbus! I loved the Kahiki and the short lived Tropical Bistro. If anyone can bring Tiki back, you can!

I must disagree that Kahiki lives on in the processed frozen food that the company now sells. It is Kahiki in name only and I wish they would take the name off of their product as it has nothing to do with the food in the restaurant. Kahiki is DEAD, and on its gravesite sits a Wallgreens. However, tiki isn't dead....its just slumbering until the Grass Skirt opens.

View Profile of Kahtiki Send a personal message to Kahtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PeguDoug
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-01 3:47 pm   Permalink

Well, the previously announced opening of Spring 2012 seems to have slipped by.

Has anyone heard of an updated projection?

View Profile of PeguDoug Send a personal message to PeguDoug  Email PeguDoug Goto the website of PeguDoug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-24 2:18 pm   Permalink

Their Facebook page mentions a possible opening date of August 27th.
Not official, just a response to someone's question.
They also have some bar construction, tiki carving, and food pics.
Oh, and they seem to know what the Grass Skirt. I saw them mention it somewhere, but now I can't find the article.

Here's the FB page for info:
https://www.facebook.com/GrassSkirtTikiRoom

Articles:
http://columbuscrave.com/crave/guide_detail/58442562-Tiki-Drinks-Summer-cocktail-recipes
http://www.thekitchn.com/the-magical-world-of-tiki-an-interview-with-matt-kuku-ahu-thatcher-of-the-fraternal-order-of-moai-171038
http://www.columbusunderground.com/the-grass-skirt-tiki-bar-restaurant-opening-downtown-in-2012
http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/any-updates-on-lessners-grass-skirt-project-in-downtown

edited to add article links

[ This Message was edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2012-07-24 14:25 ]

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abrennick

Posted: 2012-08-08 5:53 pm   Permalink

Hi gang,

I'm Amy Brennick, co-owner of Grass Skirt Tiki Room. I'm working closely with Carmen Owens who is Grass Skirt's managing partner. First off, thank you so much for your enthusiasm. We appreciate all of the good will.

Yes, we learned about the Grass Shack during this year's Kahiki Tribute Party. Carmen and I attended as guests of the Fraternal Order of the Moai. Jeff Moai (we refer to their members like they're the Ramones; Jeff Moai, Matt Maoi, Yalena Maoi...), Jeff gave a presentation on the history of Kahiki and its founders. We also met Bill Sapp who did seem tickled at the similarity of the names. At least he didn't *seem* pissed, hmm. He and his daughter were actually very encouraging and promised to check us out for lunch sometime.

Indeed we have missed our spring opening goal. Since nothing is set in stone when starting up a new business, take this info as my best guesses: We should be ready for our series of facilities inspections next week. Then it's onto the interior design work. We've spent the last two weeks running tests on recipes for our opening menu - which will be small since we're keeping our focus on fabulous cocktailing. Oh, the opening cocktail list is ~90% done. We will have our front of house staff hired by the end of next week and trained during the last week of August.

So, that means that we've set our sights on a mid-September opening. The blow by blow will continue to be posted on our facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/GrassSkirtTikiRoom

And this is us on Monday whipping up some grub. L to R: me, chef Lara Ranallo from Surly Girl Saloon, Carmen, and co-owner Tim Lessner. I think we were trying out Spam Menehunes, some pineapple deep fried in coconut batter, and some grilled bananas.

View Profile of abrennick Send a personal message to abrennick  Email abrennick Goto the website of abrennick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-09 09:27 am   Permalink

Congrats Lena AKA Spiked on doing the lights for The Skirt!!
I don't think Bills daughter was there, Wife?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-13 07:44 am   Permalink

Any Columbus ohana have any inside scoop on a possible opening?
Facebook says it's getting close and promises mai tais in September.
But nothing announced yet.
C'mon, FOM must know something right?
I won't tell anyone...

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-13 9:31 pm   Permalink

Yup.
The FOM knows "something".
Pre-opening party was tonight, in fact, with plenty of FOM in attendance.
Watch Facebook for pictures.
More soon here, too, I'm sure......

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-13 9:35 pm   Permalink

Oh, and.....

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spiked
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-15 12:05 pm   Permalink

From Grass Skirts Facebook page:

'Ok, we've been mysterious for long enough: our official public opening is Tuesday, Sept 25 at 6pm. Waterfalls, lava walls & mai tais await you...aloha nui loa!'

View Profile of spiked Send a personal message to spiked      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spiked
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-18 08:14 am   Permalink

Local paper:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2012/09/18/tiki-tweak.html

Just to clarify: They aren't open until September 25th.

[ This Message was edited by: spiked 2012-09-18 09:56 ]

View Profile of spiked Send a personal message to spiked      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-18 7:36 pm   Permalink

I think the Pittsburgh Ohana is going to try to make it out soon!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation