FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Roots Rocka's Clay Journal - New Stuff pg 11
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Roots Rocka's Clay Journal - New Stuff pg 11
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-01 1:24 pm   Permalink

Here it goes!!!
I took my first ceramics class over the summer and here's what I came up with.
These were all made with soldate 60 clay.
I'm an absolute beginner, so I'm using this as a journal to keep notes and document my progress.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

gloss white - 1) dripped on 2) dipped 3) brush streaks
You can't really see as much difference between the area where the drips and streaks are, as I would have liked.

topknot - bray shino - 2 dips
body - matte black - 3 dips
I think 3 dips on the body was a little too much. The edges take on a really dark brown and the black looks charcoally. Maybe better for a volcano. This was my melting Moai, but, he looks like a depressed little Moai after glazing. I was actually tearing apart what I had created up to this point. A few seconds into ripping into it, I said to myself, "hey, he looks like he's melting, keep him."

clear H51 - 2 dips
I like how this glaze turned out. I held it by the feet and the glaze dripped off the topknot and left a little bit of a thicker layer and is more gray than the rest. Also, the bottom area where I held it needed to be touched up a bit and also has more gray. This is my favorite so far!

Thanks to everyone for the inspiration and suggestions!

I might've never picked up this hobby if it wasn't for TC!

My second ceramics class just started, and I'm hooked.

This time, we're using "B mixed with sand." So far, I like this way better for sculpting.

It's an independent study class, so for my class time, I'm going to focus on glazing for the first 4 weeks and mess around with the wheel for the last two (1 - 2 hour class/wk).

Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo for looking!!!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiRootsRocka 2014-02-04 17:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiRootsRocka 2014-02-13 09:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiRootsRocka 2014-04-22 07:08 ]

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
umeone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-01 2:09 pm   Permalink

Looks good TikiRootsRocka, I like your enthusiasm and your Tikis. It's great that you can take some classes, you can share what you learn with us, I need all the help I can get! Enjoy and welcome, Linda

View Profile of umeone Send a personal message to umeone  Email umeone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-01 3:21 pm   Permalink

You've got a great start there. If you looked at my first clay tiki you'd feel like a professional already. I'll have fun watching you go forward. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-01 6:38 pm   Permalink

The Incredible Melting Moai - that's rich! My advice to you Roots is just just keep playing with clay and push yourself out of your comfort zone (something I need to do more of) Don't be afraid of failure, some of my best project have been spawned from a failed experiment. The journal is such a good idea, mine is one of the few areas in my life that is organized Put pictures of your finished pieces in there along with details such as clay used, glazes used (especially custom blends), tools used to texture, ideas for improvement, unusual techniques you tried. I keep a book of finished projects and another of sketched and annotated ideas for future projects.

Your most important task in class is to cultivate friendships with people who own kilns so you can get things fired after the semester is over and until you buy a kiln of your own Keep hanging out here for inspiration and keep posting pics so we can be inspired too.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-01 7:52 pm   Permalink

I'm liking the last one a lot too. The guy seems to have an attitude and the claze is really nice. Keep up the good work ..... Gene

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-02 03:55 am   Permalink

Yeah that last Moai definitely has style! Nice!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-02 3:11 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the warm welcome and words of encouragement!
I look forward to getting to know you all better. I've seen all of your work in this section. Your words mean a lot and your work is an inspiration.

I'm taking this second session a lot more seriously than the first, so I hope to have some good stuff to share. The "b mixed with sand" seems much better for sculpting than the soldate 60 clay.

These next two pieces, are the last from my first session, where we used the soldate 60.

The moai was my first try at slab building.

I don't really like how it turned out, but figured it's a good opportunity to mess around with some underglaze testing. I'm gonna dip half of this in clear high fire glaze to see the color difference.

This was going to be a shot glass, but kept taking different directions, and is kind of jewelery box...I guess. This is my second piece messing around with underglaze and I'll be dipping the whole thing in clear glaze.

I made some stuff in class last week that should be out of the kiln and I made some stuff at home, this weekend, that'll be going in...class starts in 50.

Have a great day everyone!

*running out the door*

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-03 2:03 pm   Permalink

Here's a few more projects in the works.

A PNG mask on soldate 60. I got this back yesterday at class and have put 3 coats of underglaze on. I wasn't aware of how long it takes to do detailed underglaze work. Not that this is that detailed, but it took me a good 3-4 hours to put on all 3 coats. I'm sure I'll speed up as I get more comfortable with the brush.

Colors used: chocolate brown, white, bright red, and true orange
I planning on dipping it in super clear high fire glaze.

This is my Santa Moai drink trough. Maybe an egg nog drink vessel for the holidays.

Thanks for looking!

Michael

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-03 5:32 pm   Permalink

Mike, good looking stuff - looks like you're having a great time!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-05 04:50 am   Permalink

Its 4:50 in the am here and woke up. Started to lurk and found yer thread.
Great stuff here! Love yer style. Lets see some more.

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-07 2:27 pm   Permalink

MadDog - I'm having a blast!
MP - thanks for the kind words!

Here's some new stuff I'm working on.

Moai - I know, another moai...this time, with Birdman Cult motifs! Still just playing with underglazes. 3 layers of each.

My first mug attempt.
Inspired by my 1974 Primo Beer keg tap handle.

Thanks for lookin' and have a great day!

TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 3:05 pm   Permalink

PNG Mask finished: didn't turn out how I thought, but I like it. I learned that soldate 60 has more iron, so it's going to burn through the lighter colors. 3 layeres of white on soldate 60, isn't going to be white.

Here's the birdman moai.

Thanks for lookin'!!!

umeone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 3:57 pm   Permalink

Aloha TikiRootsRocka,
I absolutely love your Tiki Mask, it has great personality! Great job on the under glazes too. Can't wait to see your Primo Mug, very nice!

View Profile of umeone Send a personal message to umeone  Email umeone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-22 09:56 am   Permalink

Thanks Linda! The Primo Beer guy is coming along, but I forgot to take pictures. I have him glazed up, I just need to get him fired.

Here's what I've been up to.

Got the Santa Claus Moai vessel back. It's too small for drinks so I gave it to my mom for a snack dish. Afterall, my birthday present was the ceramics class, so it's only fair she gets the first piece I tried using a paint gun for the first time to put the superclear glaze on. Next time, I'll be a little more generous with the superclear.

A little 6" Marquesan totem that I'm going to try and mold for a triangle drinking vessel.

This changed direction 4-5 times. I originally envisioned a pirahna/blowfish looking thing and now I have a smiley, bug-eyed, blowfish style toothpick holder. I'm a big seafood person and love to cook so this will go perfect in the kitchen.

Thanks for looking and have a happy Thanksgiving!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-22 11:23 am   Permalink

Love the blowfish/toothpic holder! That top fin looks very organic. If you didn't quite get enough glaze coverage on the Santa, you can glaze and fire him again. You just have to be sure you don't exceed the cone of your lowest fired glaze - if you glaze fired at cone 06, you can fire again at cone 06 but you can't fire again at cone 5. Sometimes you can end up firing a piece half a dozen times by the time you do an underglaze, then 3 or 4 glaze firings to cover some skips, then a luster fire, etc.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation