FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Roots Rocka's Clay Journal - New Stuff pg 11
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Roots Rocka's Clay Journal - New Stuff pg 11
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 5:11 pm   Permalink

Hey Fellas!
Thanks for stopping by, the compliments mean a lot!
Here's a few things from the last month I haven't posted.

This is a coil cooking pot with PNG, Mailu Island inspired designs.

Another coil pot. Not tiki, but tried adding some MCM flavor with the turquoise and orange.

Tapa fogcutter

Moai

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-27 4:14 pm   Permalink

Here's a ceremonial bowl I just got back. I'm pretty sure I'll be re-glazing a few spots, to see if I can highlight a few areas better. I've never used this clay, so I'm very happy with the overall results.

This is on Russian River or Red, clay. It's heavy in iron and fires pretty red.

I have access to an extruder, but I like to torture myself, so I rolled all the coils. I'm not sure what's more tedious, rolling the coils, or scoring and blending them.

For glazing, I coated the outside with matte black and wiped it off.
I took white, red, black, and yellow underglaze, and dumped some of each into individual containers, and let them dry. I used the dry pieces of glaze like chalk, to apply it. I've never tried glazing like this, just thought it would look primitive.

Here's how it turned out.

The red and white are "non-existent," so these are the spots I'll be re-glazing. For these spots, I'm going to lightly paint the underglaze on, then rub some of it off with my fingertips. From my experience with other colored clays with lots of iron, the clay should still bust through the glaze. I'm keepin' my fingers crossed.

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-27 4:59 pm   Permalink

Kool
Da MOAI is my favorite
Lookin good

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MahaloTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-28 10:18 am   Permalink

Looking good!!

View Profile of MahaloTiki Send a personal message to MahaloTiki  Email MahaloTiki Goto the website of MahaloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-01 10:44 am   Permalink

Always great hearing from you guys, thanks for stopping by!
Here's the bowl, re-glazed before firing with my ceremonial coil pot, partially glazed.

Ceremonial pot with full glaze, before glaze firing.

My mold making disaster. This was easily preventable, but I'll take you through my learning process in another post. In the meantime, I'll be putting my Maori Warrior back together and re-sculpting my PNG Birdman a little more mold friendly.
Good times!!!

Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-01 7:56 pm   Permalink

I really love the hand built pieces, very studio potter/old school. also remember me telling you about traditional Me
lanesian pottery from Fiji, Lapita pottery, heres some info if you want to check it out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapita_people

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2013-07-01 22:42 ]

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-01 9:28 pm   Permalink

If it was an undercut the broke the head off you can just carve your mold to remove some plaster so your next cast will be fine. That's a good looking tiki. You are making really fun tikis and bowls. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 4:49 pm   Permalink

Hi Dawn and Wendy,
Thanks for stopping by!
Dawn, I remember you telling me about the Lapita pottery. I'm actually working on a New Caledonia inspired piece, and, while doing my research, found that NC was a spot where some of the Lapita pottery was found, dating to something crazy, like 3,000 to 5,000 BC. Thanks for the reminder and link.

Wendy, I tried loosening it with a hammer, haha, and that's how I broke it. There's pieces of plaster stuck to the side of the head and I've been too busy/lazy to chisel them off. Is there something that will breakdown the plaster, but not effect the bisque ware? I'm guessing this happened because I didn't use mold soap.

So, last week I started this New Caledonia inspired piece from one of my oceanic art books. I want to make a fountain, with water spouting into a bowl, that I'll throw on the wheel or build with coils. Slabs are built around a UPS triangular box, for the main form, that stands about 22-23," before drying. The back panels will just have some design carvings. If I finish carving tomorrow, I'll try and post some pics.

Next, I started my piece for the Tonga Hut's 55th anniversary party. It's wheel thrown and carved. It dried without cracking, so hopefully it'll come out of the bisque firing uscathed.

TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 4:30 pm   Permalink

Here's the glazed ceremonial cooking pot.
It stands about 9.75" inches a measures about 7" across at it's widest point.

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-29 4:48 pm   Permalink

Das Really neat. GROG like.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-29 6:06 pm   Permalink

Mold soap is the only way to go. So sorry. But if you use the mold where some broke off you can hand carve that area to fix it if you make your cast thick enough. I always cast them thick to leave wiggle room for manipulation. If you can get a large chunk loose from the bisque with a chisel you can use wood glue to put it back in place on your mold. Go Tiki taught me that and it works.

I love how your pieces look aged. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-01 1:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks GROG, hope all is well with ya!
Wendy, I finally spent the time to get the stuck plaster off, but it's just to save the sculpt. The mold is done, as in trash. No more lazy negligence. Mold soap, mold soap, mold soap. Oh, and starting the project with enough plaster to finish...

Here's pictures of my finished piece for the Tonga Hut's 55th anniversary art show.

Here's a Marquesan poi-pounder decanter I threw on the wheel and carved. The top comes off and will be fit with cork. This is #2, but I'll be making some more. I've never tried throwing this shape, so the walls are a little thick on these first two.

Thanks for stopping by!

TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-06 10:17 am   Permalink

Aloha Friends! Here's a new PNG mask that just came out of the kiln.
It's about a 12" tall and a 8.75" wide. It's on Rod's Bod clay that's loaded with iron, so it pops through the glaze to give it that nice weathered, primitive look.

I'm also happy with how my fountain project is progressing. It got a small crack during glaze firing, but it really doesn't take away from the piece.
Now it's time to finish the coil bowl that the water will spout into and start to build/carve a wooden stand to raise this piece above the bowl.

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-06 11:04 am   Permalink

The stuff's lookin' really good. GROG like.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 08:30 am   Permalink

Kool

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation