FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Roots Rocka's Clay Journal - New Stuff pg 11
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Roots Rocka's Clay Journal - New Stuff pg 11
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-28 4:01 pm   Permalink

i really dig the png mug, mike! also, i love my moai diorama i picked up from you last month. keep up the great work, braddah.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-22 07:07 am   Permalink

Thanks, Bullet! Hope all is well!

Here's some of the finished PNG product from the last post and some various others.

This one is three pieces that I threw on the wheel and put together.

Thanks for stopping by!

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-22 07:46 am   Permalink

Wow, those pieces are amazing. Love all the details.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-04-22 11:56 am   Permalink

Your stuff is looking muy awesome. GROG like.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-23 07:41 am   Permalink

Thanks Dale! Thanks GROG! GROG, hope to see ya Saturday!

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-23 07:53 am   Permalink

It's so amazing that you've conquered the potters wheel. I took a semester in college and never could center well.
I enjoy all your pieces and techniques. You are a fine ceramicist and a great guy too. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Woodtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-23 08:11 am   Permalink

Everything is so awesome! The glazes on that bowl are really cool, love it.

View Profile of Woodtiki Send a personal message to Woodtiki  Email Woodtiki Goto the website of Woodtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-23 09:56 am   Permalink

WOW! That piece looks huge! About 15-20 inches tall? Mug, lamp, or sculpture?
All very cool looking stuff, I really like that rustic glaze on the first PNG piece.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-23 5:31 pm   Permalink

I am with MadDogMike..that piece is amazing! Tell us more--what is it?

Your recent posted works are killing it! Looking good!!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-23 6:04 pm   Permalink

Mike!
Slow down buddy, your making the rest of us look bad
man your progression & skill is exponential, you are rocking it!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-24 09:23 am   Permalink

Wendy - Awe, thanks! You're the sweetest! I actually love throwing on the wheel. Overall, I think I've improved because of the wheel, because I'm able to create so much more surface area to decorate, in a shorter amount of time. I've recently taken a class from a lady who combines pieces that she throws on the wheel to make these crazy mid-century modern pieces, so I'm having fun experimenting with how to apply this technique to my work.

Woodtiki - Thanks for stopping by! The glaze on the inside of the Moai bowl is a thick layer of gloss white with a layer of Tenmoku over it.

ATP - Thanks! Always great hearing from ya! Hope to see you and Ginger on Saturday.

MDM and Sandra - Thank you Thank you - It's only about 12-13" tall, but it's about 10.5" wide and about 9" deep, so it's got some presence. It's inspired by a PNG piece that Leroy Schmaltz did in, "Night of the Tiki." The bottom and top are two pieces that were thrown on the wheel and combined. On the head and bottom base, I applied a black underglaze, while the clay was still wet, and carved the designs. The piece is constructed to be a lamp.

Again, thank you for stopping by. Your comments are always appreciated.

TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-13 10:30 am   Permalink

Here's some more finished pieces from the last couple weeks.
Some of the stuff is already is sold, but I will be vending at Caliente, Friday only, so if you see something you like, please send me a message, or find me on-grounds, Thursday, for an early purchase in Palm Springs.

This one will have cowrie shell eyes.

The piece above is going to the Polynesian Village Resort at Disneyland Florida, along with a few other of my PNG style pieces from the past. The "Spirit Snatcher Ceremonial Bowl" and one of the PNG Drum mugs are two of them.

Thanks for looking and I hope to see some of you at Tiki Caliente this weekend!

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-13 7:26 pm   Permalink

Your work is so fresh and new and original. You are a great designer and I really like your choice of colors.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-14 12:07 pm   Permalink

Ridiculous....ly beautiful work, as always.

Won't be at Caliente, but hope to meet up in person one of these days soon...

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-14 12:35 pm   Permalink

Those all turned out great Mike. I like that the colors are saturated well enough have an impact but still look rustic and primitive.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation