FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Roots Rocka's Clay Journal - New Stuff pg 11
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Roots Rocka's Clay Journal - New Stuff pg 11
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 3:53 pm   Permalink

Hi Wendy and Mike,

Thanks for stopping by!

Great suggestion on the shellac. I think it might also add a little shiny gloss to the jute, to pick-up the super clear shine on the clay.

Below, is a project I started a few days ago. He's on bmix with sand clay and call him "Shaka Rocka."

I can't draw, so I just started building with little planning. I knew I was going for something Maori like and I also knew I wanted the legs to be in a less common style (from my amature knowledge), so he's squatting with his right foot in the back and his left foot in the front.

"Rocka" sign on left knee and "shaka" sign on right thigh.

I also have a hard time envisioning things in 3D, so I have a few mugs in the background to help guide my vision. I've always had a hard time executing the sides of mugs in the hip, thigh, and shoulder areas. Using the visuals was a huge help.

I hope to execute this well enough to justify messing around with making a mold.

Alohaz!!!

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-31 8:09 pm   Permalink

Very cool Mike. I'll be watching to see how you pull those legs off

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 5:22 pm   Permalink

Here's some more progress shots from the last few days.

I didn't like how the arm and shaka hand were looking, so here's the start to my fix.

More tomorrow...

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-02 1:13 pm   Permalink

He's good, I like him, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-08 5:48 pm   Permalink

Thank you Wendy. It's been a fun challenge, definitely pushing myself on this one.

Here's my first fix of the shaka hand.

I realized that I didn't like how the right leg was connecting to the foot in the back. The foot was hidden too far under the body and you couldn't see the bottom half of the leg folding back under the body. The shaka sign is also totally weak, so I did everything again.

After the first fix:

See the back foot sticking out to the right and the poor connection between foot and leg?

Cutout some room for the leg to fold back under.

Now there's room for the leg and the foot points directly back instead of to the right.

Getting closer.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-08 8:19 pm   Permalink

Mike, great work on those legs. I have an idea for the Pele/Fire Swap mugs that needs similar legs, I may have to plagiarize your design a bit It's something I've had in my head for a couple of years and just couldn't visualize it.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-09 11:24 am   Permalink

Thanks Mike, I like how it's turned out so far.
I'm sure we can find that style squat somewhere. I think I can see Pele now!

I started working a on two piece mug that was suppossed to be a poi pounder, then it started looking like a volcano, and I started thinking Pele/Volcano swap...I just gotta commit!!!

Well, here's where my Maori sits with tattoos and tapa cloth.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-28 12:04 pm   Permalink

Love your designs! The Maori above is very cool, how did he turn out with glaze?
Aloha

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-28 12:23 pm   Permalink

Your newest mug looks great. Do you plan to mold it? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ebtiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-28 1:22 pm   Permalink

Yes, what Wendy said ...
(Great looking mug!)

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-28 6:20 pm   Permalink

you're totally doing it! nice design and the details put itover the top.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-28 6:32 pm   Permalink

Mike, I love where this is going!

TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-30 11:44 am   Permalink

Wow, thanks for the compliments everyone!

I regret to say that I haven't touched clay in a couple of months, but I've sure got the itch. I've been busy moving into a new tiki office for my vintage clothing inventory. There's actually a bunch of space outside, so I hope to setup a little art studio, too.

Anyhow, my original intent was to sculpt this and make a mold. As the piece progressed, it looked like it was going to be a 7 piece mold because of the undercuts.

I've never made a mold, so I got kind of burned out towards the end of my sculpting. I was trying to dry it slowly, but didn't come back for about 5 days and there was a big crack in the back. It goes all the way through and the piece was really dry, so I didn't want to try wetting it again. It's been in this state for about 2 months, sitting and waiting.

Any tips on filling the crack? Can I still try and make a mold, or is the clay too dry?

I never intended to fire this as I just wanted to make a mold, so I got kind of sloppy with the base, and I'm pretty sure there's air pockets. I don't have my own kiln, so I don't want to be "that guy" at my community place, and risk ruining others' pieces.

Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-30 12:26 pm   Permalink

Mike, you can still make a mold from a dry clay master (you can make a mold from practically anything) Just remember that it is more fragile in it's dry state. You'll need plenty of mold release, if you use a water based one (like mold soap), let it dry between coats so the dry clay doesn't soak up too much moisture. And you'll have to be especially careful with your part lines so you don't have any undercuts since the master won't flex any to get it out of the mold.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-30 7:00 pm   Permalink

Lookin good
Now get back at it

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation