FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Roots Rocka's Clay Journal - New Stuff pg 11
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Roots Rocka's Clay Journal - New Stuff pg 11
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-02 3:02 pm   Permalink

Got this out of the kiln a couple weeks ago.

On Rods Bod clay, cone 10, with 3 layers of white, 2 layers of black, and one dip in super clear on the outside. One layer of gloss white and one layer of super clear on the inside.

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-02 3:10 pm   Permalink

Also got this one back.
Rods Bod clay, cone 10, with one dip in Rob's Green with some extra splattered around for a second coat. I forgot the super clear, but like how it turned out.

Mahalo for lookin'!!!

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-02 3:26 pm   Permalink

Cone 10! If you can't take the heat get out of the kiln!

Great looking rustic glazes Mike

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-03 09:51 am   Permalink

Wunderbar!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-10-03 10:23 am   Permalink

Awesome Green glaze on dat one!!!

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-03 12:05 pm   Permalink

Cone 10!!! That would burn my shed down. The glazing looks terrific as does the design. Good job, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-03 1:21 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for the kind words, I'm having a blast!

I love the Rods Bod clay because it's full of iron and pops through the glaze. It's kind of scary because of how unpredictable it can be, but I guess that's part of the fun.

A few weeks ago I started working on a simple sculpt so I could try my first attempt at making a mold. It was gonna be a simple Easter Island Moai with big belly, nothing special. As I started to sculpt the head, it just had this Tiki Bob looking resemblance that I couldn't deny, so I went with it. I called him "Boboai," and built.

Here's how he turned out:

Would love to hear your feedback, positive and negative.

I'm most concerned about the design element as I feel like so much has been done. I haven't been able to find anything quite like this, and although I like the design, I don't exactly feel super creative, either. Thoughts?

Thanks again!!!

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-04 04:04 am   Permalink

That's really funny. I just mentioned a Bob Moai to Wendy, except that I wasn't sure how it'd look.

Great minds, I guess.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-10 5:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hale, I'm sure Wendy's would look a whole lot better than mine
So, in the background of Boboai you can see my mold box.
Here's some pics and notes.

Although it was my first attempt, I've gotta say this wasn't easy and it took me an entire day to complete.

I'm happy with the end result, I learned a lot, and definitely noticed where I wasn't as efficient as I could've been.

** My box is WAY too big, so it cost me extra plaster, and made for a heavy mold, that I have to lug around every time I want to pour a cast.

** I didn't measure my plaster:water ratio. I'm sure this has it's downfalls and I'll be measuring in the future.

** I tried to get all the air bubbles out of the plaster, but can see where some formed around the outside, where pieces of the plaster have chipped away from the outside of the mold. I did run my hands through the plaster to try and remove all the bubbles, so I'm guessing that my sloppy plaster mixing contributed to this.

** I did a lazy job on my keys, so plaster got behind one of them and ripped it out.

** Original sculpt got destroyed.

I used Pottery plaster #1 and Laguna Clay Speckstone cone 10 casting slip.

When I get a chance I'll post some pics of my first casting failure and the successes since.

Thanks for looking and your comments are always appreciatted!

tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-10 5:47 pm   Permalink

Hey Mike!

Just seeing your ceramic thread for the first time... Great stuff! I love the patterned moais! and the Santa moai dish is so cute! Hope your mom likes it!

Interested to see how your cast mugs turn out!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-10 5:57 pm   Permalink

Great mugs. Love the distressed look on the glaze. They have the appearance of a real artifact. Very cool.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-10 9:56 pm   Permalink

Mike, congrats on the successful mold making experiment! The "Boboai" looks great!

I picked up a tip from BeezleBug about mold boxes that's worth sharing
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29606&forum=18&start=1530

It eliminates those awkward clamps and lets you adjust your mold box to whatever size you want. Seems I read that you need a minimum of an inch of plaster wall thickness all around so that's what I use. Any more that that just adds unneeded weight and bult.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-11 07:13 am   Permalink

Hi TRR, on your first half just push in a ball or scoop out some clay. Then you second half makes the bump. This is super fast and no where can the plaster get underneath.

I bisque fired my sculpture and for the second half soaked it in three layers of mold soap.

You are doing a wonderful job. I love your Moai Bob so Hale Tiki had a good idea.

See you soon, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-16 4:48 pm   Permalink

Thank you for the suggestions on the mold box and the scoops, Mike and Wendy.
I did such a mediocre job on the mold, that each one is kinda 1/1, as I've been spending about an hour cleaning each casting.
Here are the first two test glazes.
I'm sorta happy with how they turned out, but not really. There's so much room for improvement.
I saw my old ceramics teacher at the clay studio and she said, "Michael, we need to talk about your glazing." LOL
Each color has three layers of handpainted velvet underglaze with no superclear.
Your glazing suggestions would be greatly appreciatted.

I've got four more test glazes that I should get back on Tuesday.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-16 5:33 pm   Permalink

One hour per mug for clean up is what it takes me. You must be doing it right! Wendy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation