FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Roots Rocka's Clay Journal - New Stuff pg 11
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Roots Rocka's Clay Journal - New Stuff pg 11
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-08 2:33 pm   Permalink

Cool glaze Mike. Reminds me of a Van Gogh painting (or a Don McLean song)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-08 3:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Mike. I was pleasantly surprised by how the glaze came out. Hope to see you at TC!
Here's some more stuff.
These three pieces, also show how one glaze, matt black, can look on three different kinds of clay, applied in varying degrees.
WITCO inspired "firedancer" bowl. (Soldate 60)

The right side is matt black. The left has matt black with mag yellow and Korean blue celadon, I think. I am getting better at note taking.

Primitive 3 Faced Orongo Birdman Cult tumbler (Bmix with sand)

The Marquesan style is also glazed. (Bmix.)

Hope to see you all at Caliente!

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-08 4:47 pm   Permalink

All good stuff Mike. I like that firedancer graphic and the Marquesan is great ~ looks like torched wood carving.
I should be at TC Saturday afternoon and evening, are you going to be vending?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-10 1:36 pm   Permalink

See you next Saturday. Yes, I will be vending. I'll be in the same spot as last year, by The Tonga Hut bar.

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-23 3:27 pm   Permalink

Great seeing everyone at Caliente! Thanks again to everyone who came by my booth to chat and made a purchase. It was great to catch up with old friends and make a lot of new ones.

I'll post something in the Market Place later, but I just wanted to post a link to my Etsy store, Jungle Modern Ceramics.

I chose the name Jungle Modern because I like it. To me, it has a bit of mysteriousness to it. "You never know what you're gonna find in the jungle." I've always been intrigued by the dense greenery of the forest and not knowing what might be behind the next layer of vegetation.

As I'm still new to ceramics, that's kind of how I feel about my pottery. There's still lots of other styles I'd like to explore and I'm not sure what's coming next. Maybe I'll make some Incan pottery inspired by my trip to Peru with some modern characteristics, who know?

I also have a decent amount of WITCO. Elvis's Jungle Room and Sven's book, Tiki Modern, have definitely influenced my collecting, so I also felt the name was appropriate.

Here's the link. Your feedback and constructive criticism is always appreciated.
www.etsy.com/shop/junglemodernceramics

Thanks for looking!

Michael Shigeru Sbicca

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-23 3:41 pm   Permalink

Nothing to criticize since it is all so well done. I like the look of stone on the marq.
We enjoyed seeing you and having you beat the trick was icing on the cake. Your mug is
now a part of the danlovestikis collection. Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-23 4:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks Wendy! I'm happy to have a one of my pieces in the collection. As always, it was great visiting with you and Dan.
Did anybody else get the ring off and are you really gonna make me wait until next year to show me how to put it back on?

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-23 5:19 pm   Permalink

Mike it was good to see you at Tiki Caliente again. Your pieces look even better in person, photos just never seem to capture the subtleties

zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-23 5:59 pm   Permalink

Awesome work! I especially love that Marquesan!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-29 4:31 pm   Permalink

Mike, great seeing you, too.
ZS, thank you very much! Hopefully we'll see a few of those Marquesans floating around in the near future.
Here's a PNG piece in progress.

mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-29 6:12 pm   Permalink

Wow! holy smokes! love it Roots!

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-13 10:40 am   Permalink

Thanks MP!
I just got her outta the kiln
Stands just shy of 9.5" tall and has a gloss red glaze on the inside.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-14 08:56 am   Permalink

DIG THE PNG! It almost looks like a mask! I love it. And your Marq sculpt almost looks like burnt bamboo. It's eerie, and very cool.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chippy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 7:36 pm   Permalink

Looking pretty darn great. Very cool.

View Profile of Chippy Send a personal message to Chippy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 7:42 pm   Permalink

Mike, Each work is better then the last, nice PNG work also.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation