[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Vintage Rotorua
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Vintage Rotorua
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-14 04:24 am   Permalink

E. W. Payton, C. P. Parkerson and George Isles were the most known to photograph her.

Can't say that I was familiar with Makereti Papakura before today. Thanks for bumping the thread.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-14 07:25 am   Permalink

This is a great topic. Thanks for bumping it up. I also enjoyed Epi Shalfoon & His Melody Boys- 1930. Who would of seen the connection between Trad. Jazz and Maori culture?

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-14 08:17 am   Permalink

Some additional New Zealand tourism ads.

Painting by Charles Goldie.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rixzantis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-14 09:53 am   Permalink

One of the interesting things to me about Maori tiki carvings are the 2 distinct styles.
The "Teko-teko" style is distinctly humanoid, with patterns carved like their tattoos.
The "Hei Tiki" style, with their square-ish heads tilted to the side, have a definite "ET" look to them.

View Profile of rixzantis Send a personal message to rixzantis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rixzantis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-14 10:02 am   Permalink

On location for a film about 10 years ago, I visited Rotorua.
Here's a few more shots from that trip.

I found this old postcard:

Here's the same carving at the Maori Arts & Crafts center

View Profile of rixzantis Send a personal message to rixzantis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2013-05-14 9:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks rixzantis for posting those pictures, I was there about 10 years ago too...Rotorua is amazing. I also had the privilege of touring the University of Auckland Museum...a simply breath-taking collection of fabrics, weapons, Tikis, architectural structures, carvings and so much more.

This is a fabulous thread, the ephemera is great!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation