FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food what's your favorite use(s) for Coruba dark?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
what's your favorite use(s) for Coruba dark?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-12 11:15 am   Permalink

I found this rum for the first time here on MY west coast, after reading so much about it on TC.

tried some neat- like it, the flavor profile to me fit right between Appleton Estate v/x and Meyers's Dark.

mixed up some Planter's Punch, a little too Meyersy-overstrong in that.

wondering what drinks the Coruba is especially good in.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-12 11:17 am   Permalink

It's the best MaiTai Rum for the 2oz. dark rum

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-12 11:35 am   Permalink

Personally, I wouldn't drink Coruba Dark straight, but it does work extremely well in a Dark and Stormy. I fill a Collins glass with ice cubes, add 2 oz of Coruba Dark and fill to the top with Bundaberg ginger beer. So ono, and refreshing to boot.

I like Coruba better than Meyers's, although it does have a similar flavor profile. For folks in the SF Bay Area, BevMo doesn't carry it, but you can find it at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley.

Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: tofukulele 2011-11-12 11:36 ]

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-12 4:10 pm   Permalink

Planters Punch, Navy Grog...

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-13 09:21 am   Permalink

tried it in a Painkiller, too much aftertaste...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-13 9:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-12 11:35, tofukulele wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't drink Coruba Dark straight, but it does work extremely well in a Dark and Stormy.

excellent call, the Coruba made a great DarkN'Stormy. I usually make mine w/Gosling's, but the Coruba seems even better, really holds its own w/the ginger beer.

also, just tried it out in a Hurricane-- 2.5 oz Coruba, 1.5 oz passionfruit syrup, 1/2 oz lime, 2 t grenadine. Outstanding.

will try it in a Navy grog soon as i have some honey. Really prefer that drink w/honey vs. rock candy syrup.

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2011-11-13 21:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2011-11-13 21:20 ]

tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-13 9:22 pm   Permalink

Glad I could be of service

Okole maluna!

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-15 09:07 am   Permalink

used Coruba as the dark rum in a Navy grog, was a great drink but I couldn't single out the taste of the Coruba or discern how the drink was improved by virtue of using Coruba.

also tried a Coruba Mai Tai which to my shock was really good.

my conclusion:

Coruba is a great choice for drinks with just a few components where you want the dark rum to stand out, especially when those components have a strong flavor.

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2011-11-15 09:10 ]

jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 08:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

For folks in the SF Bay Area, BevMo doesn't carry it, but you can find it at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley.

Eddies Drive-In Liquors on College near Trader Joes has Coruba as well.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-16 10:22 am   Permalink

As "itself" I use it for the dark rum component of a Mai Tai, but you can also use Coruba Dark to turn an average rum into a bigger rum. For example (and I would always eyeball the measurements), if I ran out of Appleton Estates Extra, I could take a shot of VX and by adding just the right amount of Coruba turn it into something that passed pretty well for Extra. We're talking drops of Coruba added to a shot of whatever.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 2:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-16 10:22, The Gnomon wrote:
As "itself" I use it for the dark rum component of a Mai Tai, but you can also use Coruba Dark to turn an average rum into a bigger rum. For example (and I would always eyeball the measurements), if I ran out of Appleton Estates Extra, I could take a shot of VX and by adding just the right amount of Coruba turn it into something that passed pretty well for Extra. We're talking drops of Coruba added to a shot of whatever.

I've done this as well to stretch out a bottle of VX. Turns out rather nice. Anyhow, I enjoy Coruba in anything with lots of fruit juice.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 4:12 pm   Permalink

Coruba plays very well all by itself in a tall glass of unfiltered unpasteurized apple cider

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 9:34 pm   Permalink

okay, here's a Navy Grog variation I made that nicely features and yet challenges the Coruba:

1.5 oz Coruba dark
1 oz Lemon Hart 151
1 oz honey mixx
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz guava juice

stir vigorously in a glass beer mug, add ice, stir vigorously for twenty seconds. drink, smack your lips, and grunt.

maybe call this the Navy M.P.?

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 9:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-16 10:22, The Gnomon wrote:
you can also use Coruba Dark to turn an average rum into a bigger rum. For example (and I would always eyeball the measurements), if I ran out of Appleton Estates Extra, I could take a shot of VX and by adding just the right amount of Coruba turn it into something that passed pretty well for Extra. We're talking drops of Coruba added to a shot of whatever.

interesting, havent tried that with anchor liquors, but have with mixers. Have added a little cognac to curacao to substitute for Grand Marnier; have added a little almond extract to Creme de Noyaux to substitute for orgeat...

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-17 11:26 am   Permalink

crikey, my skull still aching today from the crack of the Navy M.P.'s baton cross me noggin.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation