FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » CBS Sunday Morning THIS Sunday Nov. 20th on TIKI!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
CBS Sunday Morning THIS Sunday Nov. 20th on TIKI!
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-20 5:51 pm   Permalink

Well this is what these programs do. It is made for the masses not us tiki people and meant to pack the most in for the short time allowed for the segment. They are going to take just the tip top of the cream off the pie. Hopefully this will peek the interest of folks to investigate this culture further and become true educated aficionados.

For what they were going for i think they did a nice job. At least they didn't butcher the subject and show off a bunch of party city and jimmy buffet stuff.

I would obviously like to see an in depth episode on tiki like Spock did on the old "In Search Of" show on PBS. Or a 2 hour History Channel program. There is always hope.

Sven, you did a great job.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-20 6:26 pm   Permalink

They set up a nice mood and happily party city tiki free, but I wonder if we’re ever going to come to a point when a mainstream tiki articles won’t start out with “The tiki are back” like it was just rediscovered yesterday while this whole “revival” has been going on at least 10 years.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-20 6:53 pm   Permalink

Try to explain tiki culture in 50 words or less... Now that's a challenge. Something we should all try to attempt, so we are prepared when someone asks.

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-21 12:45 pm   Permalink

I managed to pry my eyes open and crawl out of bed on Sunday morning after the Vicious Virgin mug premier party at Don’s on Saturday night. Turned the TV on about 7:30 and wondered if I had missed the Tiki bar segment, then it came on.

Short and sweet but still a good segment. I enjoyed the interview with Trader Vic’s grandson and also liked the clip of the host walking through Sven’s “Tiki Disneyland” front yard.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-21 10:28 pm   Permalink

This just as a closing post, echoing and acknowledging the sentiments of many previous ones:

The producer of the segment sent me a "thank you" e-mail, of which part of it read:

"I was happy enough with the piece but as usual very disappointed the powers-that-be wouldn't give me more time. I had so much great material! "

Which goes to show that most of us have to answer to a higher power.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-21 10:54 pm   Permalink

I wanna see the directors cut, damn it.
They should have longer versions available on the website for the show.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-01 08:31 am   Permalink

july 1st, 2012, it reran. caught me by surprise! i didn't catch it the first time around, so it was definitely a fun surprise to see while playing "pirates" with my 15 month old on the floor.

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-01 09:36 am   Permalink

I wasn't sure if this was a 'rerun' or another tiki segment, as I didn't recall the Peter Seely interview and the rest of the segments on today's show were all 'new/first-run' pieces. Good stuff, nonetheless!
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation