FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Cold Hardy Palms??
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Cold Hardy Palms??
richie6
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-20 6:48 pm   Permalink

Anyone know where to purchase Cold Hardy Palms in the Baltimore Area? Much appreciation on any ideas...w

View Profile of richie6 Send a personal message to richie6      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-21 08:43 am   Permalink

Not B'more, but a good source for hardy palms is Plant Delights Nursery. I have planted many hardy palms in my yard, only to lose them. I even brought very large ones back from SC where the climate is not so far from ours, but they eventually turned to toast. So, I started fresh with a small one from these guys and will see if it grows up hardy here. There are 10 foot palms in town, but have some shelter near buildings and that may be their secret.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-21 09:17 am   Permalink

And then there is always this option:

Quote:

On 2010-01-24 09:44, abstractiki wrote:

It gets really cold in the winter in Wildwood NJ down to the 10 to 20 degrees.

Motel owners Dominic and Jullie Rossi made the first plastic Palm tree around 1958.

In the early 60's came Ron Berg, a cop who owned the Mariner Motel. He made his own and other motel owners started buying them from him.

In 1980 Ed Hillar set out to build his own for his back yard pool in Pennsylvania. He made them with a fiberglass trunk and fronds of polyethylene plastic with a UV stabilizer. By 1982 he was making them as his full time job.

In 1984 a Wildwood Motel owner saw his trees at a home and garden show and bought some. They were a lot better than what every one had been using so the rest of the Wildwood motels started buying them from Ed also. As of 2007 Ed was still at it.

The Governor declared the plastic palm trees the "official tree" of the Wildwoods in 2000.

Ed Hiller, plasic palm tree inovater/maker

..and TC even has a thread about it :
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=27993&forum=18

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-21 11:25 am   Permalink

Mule Palms are also known as the cold coconut.

Hard to find, though. I have a few friends that grow them and they can barely keep them in stock.

They're a hybrid of Queen Palms and Pindo's or "wine palms."

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-21 11:32 pm   Permalink

Maybe try bamboo, instead?
It is more hardy for the outside.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-22 01:46 am   Permalink

You could look for Windmill Palm or Chinese Windmill Palm, which are hardy enough to grow in gardens around Scotland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plockton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachycarpus_fortunei

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-22 02:53 am   Permalink

Richie, looks like your original question was "where to find palms?" but I'll add my two cents worth as to which palms grow in cold weather. 2 that haven't been mentioned yet are the European Fan Palm (Chamaerops humilis) and the Needle Palm (Rhapidophyllum). Here's a link to a range map for the Needle Palm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Needlepalmmap.PNG

Here is the Wiki link to "Hardy Palms"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardy_palms
They list the Canary Island Palm, I can send you some seeds if you want

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dcman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-22 04:58 am   Permalink

While not really a palm tree but still a tropical plant, hardy banana trees last well in my neck of the woods. I have to cut it down to the base in the fall and it grows back in the spring as long as I cover it with plastic (they are susceptible to rot) and insulate them with a good pile of leaves or other material. I've had mine live through short bouts of -20 degrees farenheit if I've cared for them in this way.

They grow again in the spring, a little taller each year, my 2 year old tree gets topped out at 5-6 feet for the stalk with some leaves reaching up as high as maybe 8 feet. I bought mine on ebay, sorry I don't have a shipper in mind.

dcman

View Profile of dcman Send a personal message to dcman  Goto the website of dcman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-22 6:11 pm   Permalink

Did you try Himmel's Nursery on Mountain Rd.? I have no idea if they have palms, but when I was visiting the folks last summer they had some brightly colored tikis outside, so it might be a good place to start.

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
richie6
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-23 7:18 pm   Permalink

Hey MadDogMike,

Thanx for the info! If you have extra seeds, I'll glad plant them. I can send you a stamped envelope if needed..

Richie

Quote:

On 2011-11-22 02:53, MadDogMike wrote:
Richie, looks like your original question was "where to find palms?" but I'll add my two cents worth as to which palms grow in cold weather. 2 that haven't been mentioned yet are the European Fan Palm (Chamaerops humilis) and the Needle Palm (Rhapidophyllum). Here's a link to a range map for the Needle Palm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Needlepalmmap.PNG

Here is the Wiki link to "Hardy Palms"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardy_palms
They list the Canary Island Palm, I can send you some seeds if you want

View Profile of richie6 Send a personal message to richie6      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
richie6
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-23 8:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-22 18:11, Fugu wrote:
Did you try Himmel's Nursery on Mountain Rd.? I have no idea if they have palms, but when I was visiting the folks last summer they had some brightly colored tikis outside, so it might be a good place to start.

I'll have to check them out on this weekend! Thanx much

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-21 4:41 pm   Permalink

Well, even though the term "cold" does not apply (saw this near Pomona, CA), I nominate this baby for the "Hardy Palm of the Year" award!:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-21 8:16 pm   Permalink

Awesome pic! Is that Dr Suess' front yard

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-22 08:41 am   Permalink

Mike, thank you for your continuous, high-spirited responses, but man, is this place a ghost town or what!

It seems that I am proving my own prediction of Facebook being the pied piper of Tiki Centralites to myself: I posted that palm 16 hours ago on FB, and Voila!, I got 12 comments and 49 likes as a response. Obviously because it's like a "human interest" subject, something that EVEYRONE can relate to - not rocket science (or: specialized Tiki archeology). But when I post EITHER of these style of posts here, all that comes back is the sound tumbleweeds blowing through town. Neither human interest nor special interest steers the corpses here any longer. R.I.P., TC? Sigh.

KokoKele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-22 10:09 am   Permalink

I wonder if it's because of the nature of Facebook? It's a much friendlier platform on which to post a quick reply or a "like," especially from a hand-held device. I visit TC almost daily and go through most of the forums and topics when I visit, but frequently don't respond to posts because I don't want to clutter up the thread unless I feel like I have something of interest to offer.

When I look at the number of views and posts each topic receives, I note that the "New Members" topic is number one, followed by "Tiki Exotica." These topics have in their favor 1)longevity, and 2)nudity! So, since a topic about palm trees may not have much of a chance for longevity, I think we need to get a nekkid lady to stand next to that crazy palm tree in your pic. Then you'd get, like, 100,000 hits!

View Profile of KokoKele Send a personal message to KokoKele      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation