FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » From the news archives 71 years ago: Don the Beachcomber mad at being copied in New York
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
From the news archives 71 years ago: Don the Beachcomber mad at being copied in New York
TikiTomD
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-23 4:09 pm   Permalink

Sven, I believe that was the character played by Gregory Pech (Father Francis Chisholm) in the movie, "The Keys of the Kingdom." Jane Ball, Monte's wife, played opposite Mr. Pech in this 1944 movie as the adult, Nora, according to IMDb.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-23 5:13 pm   Permalink

Here’s a birthday quote and photo of young Chip Proser, quoted earlier in this thread, and his mom, Jane Ball (Google News http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=ZuSUVyMx-TgC&dat=19470218&printsec=frontpage&hl=en, page 18)...

Reading Eagle February 18, 1947

Within five years of Monte Proser’s death, his wife and sons lost their home and estate
(Google News http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=aFwNBOTKqaYC&dat=19780925&printsec=frontpage&hl=en, page 12)...

Sarasota Journal September 25, 1978

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-24 06:18 am   Permalink

Don't take what I said to imply the Don (or Monte) were "in" with the mob. I think it was just a part of business back then. They knew the characters like all their important customers and knew how to treat them. Just facts of life.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-24 2:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-23 16:09, TikiTomD wrote:
Sven, I believe that was the character played by Gregory Pech (Father Francis Chisholm) in the movie, "The Keys of the Kingdom." Jane Ball, Monte's wife, played opposite Mr. Pech in this 1944 movie as the adult, Nora, according to IMDb.

Ha ha, I totally misread that, I was so fixated on "Monte did this, Monte did that.."

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi141756185/

Here is Jane Ball in her showbiz heyday:

In the beginning of the revealing article above it says about Monte's passing (I paraphrase):
"Jules Podell and Monte Proser died within a week of each other, and they died enemies."

Now: The final fate of Monte and his wife is unusual. Was that beating and robbing of Monte and the "mysterious way" that Jane had her estate "pulled out" from under her perhaps some delayed settling of a mob bill !?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-25 1:17 pm   Permalink

Sven, it is easy to imagine that Monte had unpaid obligations to former business partners with long memories and unforgiving principles. Perhaps, as you conjecture, those debts were collected.

I ran across references to Monte Proser (spelled “Prosser”) in testimony given by Virgil W. Peterson, Operating Director, Chicago Crime Commission, to the 1950 U.S. Senate Hearings before the Special (Kefauver) Committee to Investigate Organized Crime in Interstate Commerce (see
http://www.onewal.com/kef/kefp2.html)...

Quote:

Mr. PETERSON…Another individual who has held leases to hotels in Florida in which the gangster element has been closely identified is Thomas Cassara. Several years ago Thomas Cassara took over the lease of the Grand Hotel, 220 Twenty-third Street, Miami Beach, Fla. In 1940 he took over the lease of the Wofford Hotel, Miami Beach, Fla., which he operated for one season only. In 1947 Cassara reportedly operated the Chanticleer Restaurant, 8572 Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood, with Monte Prosser and Danny Romano. Prosser is manager of the Copacabana Night Club, New York City, and Danny Romano has a brother by the name of Louis who has been prominently identified with the Capone syndicate in Chicago.

The CHAIRMAN. Do you know who owns the Copacabana Night Club?

Mr. PETERSON. I can't prove who owns it. I know whose name has been very prominently identified with it.

The CHAIRMAN. If you do not know, just say so.

Mr. PETERSON. I think it has been printed in the papers as a matter of fact, who supposedly is connected with it, one of the big mobsters. That hasn't been proved.

That name was Frank Costello, boss of the Luciano crime family. Within a year after the Copacabana opened, Costello replaced Proser with Jules Podell, who ran the club until he died in 1973. Here’s an eBay photo of Podell...

-Tom

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-25 1:39 pm   Permalink

Well it does seem that Monte was the one who got stiffed in the Copacabana deal, and so HE should have been sore. But maybe he found a way to get back at them, eventually, he was smart -and they didn't like that. Or he simply owed money from one of his many later short-lived club projects, and they came to collect years after -with interest.

All pure hypothesizing, of course, since it was so many years later. His kids might have the real scoop.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation