advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Shingle Siding Patterns
Shingle Siding Patterns
Tai-Pan

Posted: 2011-11-21 11:25 pm   Permalink

I did a search, and didn't see this topic. Forgive me, if I've missed it.

So, I did some shingle siding a little while back. But just putting up shingles didn't seem like it was enough.
In order to sufficiently over-complicate it (it's my thing, don't judge me) I decided that I should cut in a
picture. I found a silhouette of a shark and decided to make that a part of the shingle pattern.

Here's the pattern (just before I cut the tops of the last course of shingles off):

The basic technique is pretty easy. I made a 100% sized pattern out of paper. Then I made sure that it fit
into the space I had before I started the shingle work.

I then ran double-courses of shingles across the whole side where the image was going to be. As I went, I
cut the second (outermost) level of shingles to the pattern. In the areas where there was no part of the
pattern, I cut the shingle to be even with the course above it.

If I had it to do over again, I'd double course the whole area and then cut the pattern in (instead of doing it
as I went). But still, I think it turned out fairly well. I'm planning on using the same technique on my house
when I get my theoretical home tiki bar made. I'm thinking Moai silhouettes would work well.

It's no Bamboo Ben, but we all have to start somewhere.

View Profile of Tai-Pan Send a personal message to Tai-Pan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-22 12:31 am   Permalink

That's pretty cool Tai-Pan. I think Moai outlines would look good too - simple design and easily recognizable

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-22 12:39 am   Permalink

I've never seen this done before. That's just terrific, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-22 03:52 am   Permalink

Ya man,
That's real slick.
That could be used in a few different apps.
I like the way you over think stuff.
You try carving ?

I do see your lamp candle carve.
Exacto small is good.
Hope to see more.

[ This Message was edited by: Will carve 2011-11-22 03:58 ]

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-22 06:48 am   Permalink

Way cool . . .

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-22 10:17 pm   Permalink

That is so uniquely awesome! I have never seen anything like that before. Wonder how many people will notice walking/driving by? You can line the outline with Christmas lights for the holidays...Merry Sharkmas!

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tai-Pan

Posted: 2011-11-28 12:08 am   Permalink

I never thought about lighting the shark, but I might do that this year.

We have played with the idea of staining everything but the shark. Then the shark would turn silver gray while everything else would keep the color of the stain.

But I sort of like that it's a little subtle.

View Profile of Tai-Pan Send a personal message to Tai-Pan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
umeone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-28 05:00 am   Permalink

Tai Pan the Shark is wonderfully creative! Love it! Merry Sharkmas!

View Profile of umeone Send a personal message to umeone  Email umeone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-28 05:58 am   Permalink

Good call, I think you lose the effect if you stain it differently - it would just look like the shark was painted on instead of "engraved"

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation