FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace Chunk Lamps by the original artist.8/28/14 Last items on Etsy. Roge is retiring.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Chunk Lamps by the original artist.8/28/14 Last items on Etsy. Roge is retiring.
notebooms
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-05 6:32 pm   Permalink

I recently bought a lamp from Roge, and couldn't be happier. He is a great guy, who builds a beautiful lamp.

As you can see, i slightly modified mine by adding a tapa/bamboo/rope bottom-- to further help diffuse light and align better in my tiki bar.

-scott noteboom

View Profile of notebooms Send a personal message to notebooms  Email notebooms Goto the website of notebooms     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-06 05:38 am   Permalink

That's a nice lamp! Thanks for the picture.

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-06 11:25 am   Permalink

Gosh, we were in San Jose this morning on our way home from Santa Cruz. It looks like your home would be fun to visit. Let us know if you are coming our way in the future.

I wonder if the seam materials can stand the extra heat build up. I'm sending this page on to Roge. It sure looks great, Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2012-02-08 07:35 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
notebooms
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-07 10:50 am   Permalink

Wendy-- once we finish this beast, I'm sure we will have it on a future tiki crawl. would love to show it to you whenever you're in town though.

as far as the heat..... i'm running a low heat CFL bulb, so it's not stacking any heat inside. hopefully should suffice.

thanks,

-scott

View Profile of notebooms Send a personal message to notebooms  Email notebooms Goto the website of notebooms     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-09 08:18 am   Permalink

notebooms we have gone on one of the crawls in your area. We made all the stops except we got lost with our GPS on a mountaintop looking for tikitastik! We would love to see your place one day.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtLampDesignByRoger?page=1

Here's the next step by steps for the next project the Bumatay lamp. I need to deliver four Bumatay's to Roge along with all the other sea life sculpts.

The molds were dry enough to pour.

Pouring very slowly to prevent air bubbles from being trapped.

Even with these one sided molds I hit the sides with a hammer to dislodge air bubbles.

I over poured the sides so I'll have something to hold onto to pull the Bumatay out of the molds.

When the slip had shrunk from water being pulled out by the mold I added some more. I wanted the fins to be filled up because they are not very thick.

After 1 hour I poured out what was left and then rubbed some additional clay into the fin areas.

Cheers, Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2012-02-09 08:44 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-10 08:19 am   Permalink

Thank you for keeping on eye on my progress. I'm trying really hard to get these done so Roge can go to work on the Sea Life Bumatay lamps.

Yesterday went well. I went to work on the two Bumatay's. The molds worked really well. It was a good day.

The clay in the mold felt firm enough to lift.

They each came out of their molds easily.

In the middle is my favorite clay tool the label scraper.

I used the scraper to cut away the excess clay.

I added detail to the sides. Two down two to go.

I've had the fan on the molds over night. I hope we will be able to pour again today. Cheers, Wendy

Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-10 08:30 am   Permalink

Those are awesomeand would also make great wall hangings

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-10 3:02 pm   Permalink

Hi Dawn, you are right. Roge has made extras of the other two tikis I sculpted for his lamps and has drilled nail holes in the back so they may be hung. I think he'll do the same for this one. The rest of the sea life creatures are too tiny.
I'm sure enjoying your paintings as they come to life.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=17407&forum=18&start=705

_Cheers, Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2012-02-10 15:04 ]

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-13 07:20 am   Permalink

IMPORTANT CORRECTION MADE ON PRICE. MY ERROR.

Hi Wendy, on one of your posts to TIPSY, you said I would give a 30% discount on an unwired lamp. That should have been $30 off for wiring parts & labor.

Tiki Zen mentioned UV rays hurting the lamps. I have had a couple of the resin chunk lamps hanging outside for most of 45 years ALMOST without any problems except the wiring looked a bit done in but still worked. I washed off one with hot water and soap and sprayed it with a satin clear finish and it looked very good. Sold it a few months ago. The other one had one small hairline crack on the putty seam which took about 10 minutes to fix.

.Roge

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-22 10:00 am   Permalink

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360411032104

KonaCat has a magazine full of wonderful photos of his home with his Resin chunk lamp collection. Roge says that the only ones that could be his are the globes. I need to contact KonaCat to see if there are any labels inside the lamps.

Meanwhile I have fired the Bumatay for the next lamp style. They come out of the kiln tomorrow and then if they haven't exploded its off to Grass Valley to drop all the sculptures off.

I also cast some of the Bumatay so I could make a fish bowl. I made this yesterday.

Roger has lots of lamps made for sale with and without tikis. Check them out and enjoy. Cheers, Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2012-02-22 10:05 ]

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-24 08:06 am   Permalink

Hi Friends, we made the trip to Grass Valley yesterday to take more sculpts to Roge. He and Miguel have been busy building up some stock for sale and I took some photos. One new development is a wonderful open bottom lamp that can hang over a table.

I do need to do some more work on my tiny sea creatures. They were not thick enough to mold so I brought them back home. The four Bumatay came out of the kiln just fine and they are going to mold them soon. A lamp could be made with just the Bumatay and big chunks.

Here's some of what they have available right now from Roge on Etsy. Cheers, Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-11 3:26 pm   Permalink

Hi Friends, Roge is now selling just the two heads I sculpted. Any color of your choice and he'll drill a hole for those who wish to hang them on the wall. Thanks for looking, Wendy

http://www.etsy.com/listing/95046432/tiki-reproduction

http://www.etsy.com/listing/95042580/easter-island-moai-statue-tiki?ref=v1_other_2

The mold of the Bumatay has been made. The rest of the sculptures need a base added before casting.

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2012-03-11 15:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2012-03-11 15:34 ]

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-22 11:03 am   Permalink

Hi Friends, I've actually gotten back to working on the sea life creatures that may be added to a Bumatay lamp. I needed to make them thicker so they can be set into the resin instead of on top of it. Cheers, Wendy

The clay is very hard unless heated to 150 degrees.

Pressed in the sculpts.

Cut around the clay.

Worked to seal them.

More to do and then comes the fine tuning to repair this work.

Roge is ready to make lamps that fit your color scheme and desires!
Cheers, Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-24 10:50 am   Permalink

More work on sea creatures for the Bumatay Lamp. Soon these will all be fine tuned and taken to Roge in Grass Valley. Cheers, Wendy

I've been spending time on the Chunk Lamp sculpts adding clay to the bottoms. This is the shark tail and a tiny octopus.

Next I did the shark head. Here I'm adding a lip on top of the teeth.

View of the teeth.

Another angle.

Now I want a larger octopus.

Forming the head.

Shaping it.

I want it to tilt back so I cut a piece from the bottom back and added it to the front.

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2012-03-24 10:52 ]

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-24 4:21 pm   Permalink

OOOOO! I can't wait to see that one done.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation