[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Luxardo Maraschino Cherries
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Luxardo Maraschino Cherries
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-06 1:45 pm   Permalink

Aloha all -

I just picked up a jar of Luxardo Maraschino Cherries after enjoying them immensely at the Okolemaluna bar in Kona. My question is: Do you folks refrigerate the cherries after opening? The jar says "keep in a cool dark place after opening" - I don't know if Hawaii pantries qualify as "cool". Anyone out there use these cherries? How do you store them, and how long do they last?

Mahalo!
Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 2:25 pm   Permalink

Refrigeration is a safe bet, especially in a warm humid climate. Warmth, moisture and sugar make an enticing environment for all sorts of things. Refrigerated, the shelf life is pert near eternal for candied cherries. Two warnings: if you let the syrup sit around the lid for long, it will require explosives (or hot water) to unsticky it; also, there's normally one little sucker per jar that manages to retain its pit. I envy your selection; Luxardos are delicious. I only get the ones with plain white labels that say "Cherries: Food Service Random."

View Profile of Professor G Send a personal message to Professor G  Goto the website of Professor G     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brenda's Tiki Hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 3:23 pm   Permalink

I put mine in the fridge. Better safe than sorry.

View Profile of Brenda's Tiki Hut Send a personal message to Brenda's Tiki Hut  Email Brenda's Tiki Hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 3:53 pm   Permalink

Although it's not good to leave your children out in the cold
I do recommend it for Maraschino Cherries!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 3:57 pm   Permalink

How do they taste? Like maraschino liqueur? I made some with cherries from the backyard and Luxardo. They're alright but they wreak havoc in a Manhattan.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-06 4:02 pm   Permalink

Mahalo everyone! They will set up shop in the fridge after opening.

I actually snapped a photo of the jar at Okolemaluna with my phone after being blown away by the flavor of the cherries so I'd remember to order some. Last weekend we were at the local Williams Sonoma store, and I showed a saleslady the photo to see if they carried them. She said no, they only carried their store branded cherries, and that they were "just as good". I thanked her, passed on their cherries, and just as I was about to leave the store Ms. VanTiki found a stack of Luxardo cherries in the corner of the store! They had about 10 jars - but only 1 had its "safety seal pop-top" still secure, so that is the one we snapped up.

Thanks again!
Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-06 6:15 pm   Permalink

I don't know about Luxardo's but the last batch I picked up was the WalMart store brand, I thought "how bad can they be?" Well I found out, they're CRAP! I guess you get what you pay for

PS Luxardos are also available in a 12 lb can if you really like them

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2011-12-06 19:34 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
theoutoftownlocal

Posted: 2011-12-08 05:55 am   Permalink

Very disappointed in these cherries. The texture is more like a dried fruit. I've been making my own brandied cherries for years, far superior.

View Profile of theoutoftownlocal Send a personal message to theoutoftownlocal      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-08 09:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-08 05:55, theoutoftownlocal wrote:
Very disappointed in these cherries. The texture is more like a dried fruit. I've been making my own brandied cherries for years, far superior.

Recipe?

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-08 09:43 am   Permalink

Making brandied cherries is easy. I've done it with fresh, but I find that the dried kind work better. Sour cherries work better than sweet ones.

You just dump them in a jar, fill it with brandy, and stick it in the fridge. (You can get more complicated -- simmering them in simple syrup, etc. But I don't think it's necessary.)

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-08 2:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-06 18:15, MadDogMike wrote:
PS Luxardos are also available in a 12 lb can if you really like them

Wowzers - that is a big can. Is the fellow in the front wearing traditional cherry hunting attire?

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-19 8:15 pm   Permalink

Anyone got any other recommendations for marachino cherries? Any of the grocery stores carry a decent brand? My choices are pretty limited - WalMart sells only their store brand which is very bland. Vons/Safeway only carries their store brand, it's a little better but not much. I was in San Diego this weekend and stopped at Cost Plus hoping to find some fancy import - they had only the US Soiree brand which doesn't have much of that distinctive almond/cherry pit flavor either. I put about a tablespoon of almond extract in the Soiree cherries hoping to get some almond flavor, I'll wait and see what happens - I didn't have much to lose. I may have to order something online.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fallenstar
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-10 6:28 pm   Permalink

How about Ole Smoky moonshine cherries? 100 proof!

View Profile of Fallenstar Send a personal message to Fallenstar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-11 12:58 am   Permalink

I stored my first jar of Luxardo cherries in the fridge but the sugar crystallized out of solution. I'm storing my second bottle on the counter in the shade and they are still fine after months. I only use them for classic cocktails though. BevMo in California sells two brands of maraschino cherries that are cheaper and better for exotic mixed drinks in my opinion.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-11 7:32 pm   Permalink

Brandied Cherries are super easy to make, and better than enything out of a jar that I've come across. You can even use frozen cherries for this recipe:

http://www.imbibemagazine.com/Lu-s-Brandied-Cherries

Lu's Brandied Cherries

Homemade brandied cherries are a simple and delicious way to dress up your cocktails.

1 lb. sweet cherries, pitted
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tsp. lemon juice, fresh-squeezed
1 stick cinnamon
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup brandy
Tools: cherry pitter, saucepan, ladle, jars with lids

Wash and pit the cherries. In a saucepan, combine all ingredients except the cherries and brandy and bring to a rolling boil. When the liquid begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium. Add the cherries and simmer for 57 minutes. Remove from heat, add the brandy and let cool. Transfer the cherries into clean jars and refrigerate, uncovered until cherries are cool to touch. Cover tightly and refrigerate for up to two weeks.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation