FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food SF Bay Area Rum Club?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
SF Bay Area Rum Club?
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-07 08:48 am   Permalink

Aloha folks,

Would any of you be interested in starting a SF Bay Area rum club? (I'm assuming there's not already one of these considering there's no mention of one here on TC.) Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Meet monthly or quarterly
2. Rotate venues among members' homes
3. Each person would bring a bottle (or so) to maximize the tasting possibilities
4. Each tasting would have some sort of theme -- country, price level, age, etc.

Thoughts?

Mahalo,
Josh
P.S. I originally posted this notion on the Ministry of Rum FB page. Kahuna Kevin suggested I post it here as well.

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paulynesia

Posted: 2011-12-07 3:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-07 08:48, tofukulele wrote:
Aloha folks,

Would any of you be interested in starting a SF Bay Area rum club? (I'm assuming there's not already one of these considering there's no mention of one here on TC.) Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Meet monthly or quarterly
2. Rotate venues among members' homes
3. Each person would bring a bottle (or so) to maximize the tasting possibilities
4. Each tasting would have some sort of theme -- country, price level, age, etc.

Thoughts?

Mahalo,
Josh
P.S. I originally posted this notion on the Ministry of Rum FB page. Kahuna Kevin suggested I post it here as well.

Aloha Josh,

I would be interested in a monthly or quarterly SF/Bay Area rum club. I live in San Francisco so am flexible on locations. Great idea! Let me know if it gets off the ground.

Okole maluna (with all due respect),
Paul

View Profile of paulynesia Send a personal message to paulynesia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-07 3:55 pm   Permalink

Good deal, Paul! Let's see if we can generate some critical mass here. Who else is in?

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-09 1:35 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I could be up for that. Even down for it too. We're on the peninsula.

I could bring an unusual bottle from time to time - here's a little
bottle gallery I add to when I get new varieties. I confess that I have a rotten selfish impulse to wanna keep for myself the ones I like, and mostly share the ones I don't like! But not every impulse has to be followed.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitastic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-09 3:02 pm   Permalink

I am in! And I am glad to host.

View Profile of Tikitastic Send a personal message to Tikitastic  Goto the website of Tikitastic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-09 3:08 pm   Permalink

I could get into that, but I can't host at my place. I'm in Alameda.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SgtClassick

Posted: 2011-12-09 3:57 pm   Permalink

Im down.

View Profile of SgtClassick Send a personal message to SgtClassick  Email SgtClassick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-09 4:19 pm   Permalink

I'm in - it will be a while before I can host tho'. Sounds like fun
-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-09 4:27 pm   Permalink

Mai Tai and I may be in ... And may be able to host in the future.

[ This Message was edited by: Coco Loco 2011-12-09 16:27 ]

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-09 6:19 pm   Permalink

Excellent! We're reaching a critical mass here. I think we're up to about ten people now. Who else is in? Pretty soon, we'll have to figure out where the first gathering will be and when. Getting excited!

Aloha,
Josh

tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-10 10:29 am   Permalink

Aloha,

Now that we have about a dozen people expressing interest in the notion of a grassroots rum club, let's get together! I just posted a survey to see where folks would like to meet for the first time. Given that we don't all know each other yet, a public venue might be good (the local tiki spots) but anything's possible. Please vote on the survey and I'll post the results here once it looks like everyone has voted.

Survey here:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LV8JDRM

Mahalo,
Josh

tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-10 8:28 pm   Permalink

With 50% of all precincts reporting, it's a dead heat between Forbidden Island, Trader Vic's Emeryville, and Trader Vic's Palo Alto--all with two votes each. If you haven't already voted, please do so! Once we decide on a location, we can nail down a time.

Aloha,
Josh

tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-11 08:26 am   Permalink

With eight total respondents thus far, it appears as though the tide has shifted toward Forbidden Island.

Has everyone voted? I think we may have a few stragglers, and I don't want to leave anyone out ^_^

Aloha

Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-12 12:45 am   Permalink

I vote for Trader Vic's Palo Alto or Tikitastic's mansion.

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-12 5:52 pm   Permalink

Ok, now it's getting weird. Do we really have 16 people going to this initial meetup? Has anyone accidentally voted more than once? See the results as of a moment ago in the image below:

The drive from Forbidden Island to Trader Vic's in Palo Alto is about an hour, so it's a considerable difference, and I want this to be as fair as possible.

Thoughts welcome!

-Josh

PS. I myself voted for TV's in Emeryville, as I thought it was the most centrally located for East Bay and SF types, but this is likely little consolation for the folks in the South Bay or Peninsula.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation