FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kona Kai Club, San Diego, CA (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Kona Kai Club, San Diego, CA (hotel)
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 09:16 am   Permalink

Hey Kiara it is a Witco, it's located at the Half Moon now.

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 2:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-16 09:16, TIKIBOSKO wrote:
Hey Kiara it is a Witco, it's located at the Half Moon now.

Thought so but didn't want to jump to any conclusions. Thanks!

View Profile of kiara Send a personal message to kiara      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 3:40 pm   Permalink

I spotted that Tiki when I stayed there back in 2008.

They added a little paint.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 4:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-16 15:40, Dustycajun wrote:
I spotted that Tiki when I stayed there back in 2008.

They added a little paint.

DC

Painted and hidden behind a bush. This Tiki has been shamed....

View Profile of kiara Send a personal message to kiara      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Birken Stox

Posted: 2014-03-16 5:28 pm   Permalink

"The entrance is the most likely area to see Tikification.
While I doubt that they will copy Humbphrey's majestic A-frame, it is possible that their designers will take inspiration from Shelter Island's Tiki history."

Entrance is the area Noble House will not "tikify". The foyer ("entrance"), as it has been redone currently, screams out - GO AWAY! or, YARD SALE! depending on your politics.

In fact, only the pool area has been tikified... little huts, umbrellas and what not. The pool deck will be redone but the pool/jacuzzi configuration will remain the same (lap pool stays!).

The restaurant is now named "Vessel".

The pool area and gym/spa are going to close April 1, 2014 and "reopen" June 30, 2014. Noble House is adding a 6 room "spa treatment center", where a good portion of the gym/yoga facilities are now. The gym will lose 40% of the existing square footage, the yoga/pilates/karate room will move to the Marina office building (or not).

The old Marina offices will become a two story affair. Yacht offices sales offices below and meeting/yoga/pilates space upstairs (marina offices will be closed during remodeling/buildout until late October 2014).

Noble House is attempting to Kimptonize the property with "vibe". See their Edgewater Seattle property.

The most successful the place has been in recent years was during the summer parties/luaus on the small private beach, however, Noble House put a stop to that activity.

[ This Message was edited by: Birken Stox 2014-03-16 17:29 ]

View Profile of Birken Stox Send a personal message to Birken Stox      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-17 11:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-16 17:28, Birken Stox wrote:

The most successful the place has been in recent years was during the summer parties/luaus on the small private beach, however, Noble House put a stop to that activity.

[ This Message was edited by: Birken Stox 2014-03-16 17:29 ]

I went to one of those luaus with friends a couple of years ago. It was a lot of fun and there were A LOT of people attending. So no wonder they cancelled them.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doornbos

Posted: 2014-04-14 09:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-12 15:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
Bosko, does your research mention WHO the Hollywood set designer was?

And what is that connection between Jerry Lewis and San Diego Tiki?

bigbrotiki wrote:[/i]
Bosko, does your research mention WHO the Hollywood set designer was?

And what is that connection between Jerry Lewis and San Diego Tiki?

[/quote]

Bigbrotiki, I stayed at the Kona Kai in the mid to late 1960s and Jerry Lewis was staying 3 or 4 doors down. It was a big deal to me as a little kid. My grandmother kept her boats at the Kona Kai (at least through 1979 and spent a lot of time there. She pointed out Jerry Lewis' yacht to me in the marina, not far from her "Sea Flea". He was keeping his boat there full time as well, making him one more Kona Kai member.I spent the whole time I was there and not otherwise occupied cruising past Lewis' yacht, hoping to catch a glimpse of him. The one thing I remember seeing daily was the remnants of lots of drinking set out of his hotel room door every morning It was definitely a party in the 60s!

View Profile of Doornbos Send a personal message to Doornbos      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-12 09:17 am   Permalink

Today's Locating Tiki post - a nice old slide photo of the Kona Kai.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-13 11:14 am   Permalink

Hey DC, the geography gods have asked me to flip your outstanding slide to it's correct orientation for you. I only wish I could have been on Shelter Island in the early 60's to have seen it myself!

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-03 12:29 pm   Permalink

Another postcard with an aerial view of the Kona Kai Club resort.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 4:38 pm   Permalink

Photo of the Kona Inn sign next door to the Kona Kai.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation