FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events The Hukilau 2012 Official Thread & Announcement!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
The Hukilau 2012 Official Thread & Announcement!
GuayaTiki

Posted: 2012-04-26 3:12 pm   Permalink

@20th Century Man I was thinking the same thing after I left. There was one that a screen, it almost felt like more than one room, and didnt even notice the bed, they used everything in the room to convert them into retail showrooms. Pretty impressive.

View Profile of GuayaTiki Send a personal message to GuayaTiki  Goto the website of GuayaTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
porco
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-04-26 3:15 pm   Permalink

amazing time, and a huge thanks to the organizers as well as the performers, speakers, bartenders, etc...this was our first one, and i think we've truly found our tribe.

on the note of the vendors...someone left a bunch of bamboo mat rolls in their room on the third floor. housekeeping had them at the end of the hall about to toss out, and i scooped them up and put them in our room. monday morning i went over to the fed-ex shop in the sheraton and shipped them back home, so thanks!

it was earth day after all

thanks again to everyone that made for such a great weekend.

View Profile of porco Send a personal message to porco  Goto the website of porco     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 8:44 pm   Permalink

loved it, thanks for a great time Christie and all!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kalola Kini

Posted: 2012-04-28 11:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks to all who planned the Hukilau! It's a really professional, classy event. If you are a west coast tikiphile, you've got to check this out!!

View Profile of Kalola Kini Send a personal message to Kalola Kini      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-29 11:56 am   Permalink

It's always good to see newbies (GuayaTiki, porco, Kalola Kini) feel welcomed. We especially need more South Florida folks involved.

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2012-04-29 13:14 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-29 11:56, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

Does anyone have any photos from Sunday's Tiki bowling event? I unfortunately had to skip it.

The neighborhood association pulled the plug on the tiki bowling event at the last minute. So it didn't happen...

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 1:03 pm   Permalink

Here's a few more photos...

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 7:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

We especially need more South Florida folks involved.

Really? You haven't been to that many Hukilau's, have you?

More of the South Florida folks might have gone if the event dates weren't stacked right on top of another event in town. I don't mean close, I don't mean two weeks later, I mean the exact same weekend.

More of the South Florida folks might actually vend the event if it didn't cost $300 to vend out of our own hotel room that we also have to pay for, and being local there is no need for a hotel room in the first place. And, no, the tickets you get out of the deal are not a deal because you're vending when everything the ticket gets you is happening.

More of the South Florida folks might return to the event if there was a reason to go. The format hasn't changed since 2005, the venues change every other year or so and not for the better, and the ticket price has gone up every year while the ticket value has gone down. And everything is an 'extra ticket.' And some one just mentioned the Tiki Bowling was a no-go (not surprising, it belongs to a condo association and the event organizers won't get the appropriate level of liability insurance to rent the place)... how much were those tickets and when can everyone expect their refunds?

I am happy the newest arrivals had a good time. I truly am. Most everyone's first visit to the Mai Kai is magical. More so when you have some friends to share the experience with.

Having said that, I am sorry to be the buzz-kill on an otherwise happy thread. Calling out the locals for their lack of attendance is arrogant and rude and shows how little the host and organizers of the event actually care about the South Florida folks that you are trying to call out for their lack of attendance.

You went to Hukilau, you had a blast. I'm happy for you.

Me, I am a South Florida Folks and I went somewhere else and had a blast.

When Hukliau provides a reason for the South Florida Folks, like me, to attend/return then we can talk.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 7:27 pm   Permalink

Just so everyone knows, Chip and Andy are the Official Buzz Kill of South Florida. So glad we didn't have to deal with you guys this year. Much, much Aloha...

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 7:51 pm   Permalink

You're kind of proving my point about being arrogant and rude to potential guests of your events, local or otherwise. Two posts in five pages from you on the 'official' topic of your event, and one of them is to call me names.

A more involved and caring business owner/event organizer would see the opportunity presented in the feedback offered and want to know more. A more professional event organizer would try to open a dialog with their guests, present and past, and see what they liked or didn't like about the event with the goal of improving the event overall. Find out what worked and what didn't.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 7:53 pm   Permalink

And to be very clear.... I am posting this, Chip.

Not Andy. Not Chip and Andy the couple.

Chip.

If anyone is the "Official Buzz Kill of South Florida" it is me, Chip.

Andy has nothing to do with this conversation.

tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 8:05 pm   Permalink

Say what you will Chip, your handle speaks for itself.

You didn't even attend the event, and have bad mouthed several people involved while we have done nothing.

Go ahead, embarrass yourself, it's sad and pathetic but that is your MO, hijack another thread, we all had a great time this year in the spirit of Aloha and the Mai-Kai. We are all happy about that and we can't wait til next year.

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 8:38 pm   Permalink

...also known as "Chip on their shoulder". How else would you explain the reaction to such a simple request as:

Quote:

We especially need more South Florida folks involved.

...come out in such a reactionary manner as:

Quote:

On 2012-04-29 19:09, Chip and Andy wrote:
Calling out the locals for their lack of attendance is arrogant and rude and shows how little the host and organizers of the event actually care about the South Florida folks that you are trying to call out for their lack of attendance.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-29 8:44 pm   Permalink

OK, kids, let's not get carried away here. It won't do anybody any good to snipe at each other in public.

Within Tiki or any other scene, there are lots of hard-working folks who sweat and toil to bring events to the public with little or no financial reward. I would put The Hukilau in this group. Christie and those who assist her deserve some amount of respect, especially on this forum.

Sure, feel free to disagree with the way things are run. Complain all you want. Just post comments to that effect in the proper forum. A thread that at this point is nothing more than guests talking about how great a time they had, and posting their photos, certainly is not the place to do that.

I'm not really sure how my comment that "we especially need more South Florida folks involved" got misinterpreted into "calling out the locals for their lack of attendance." I said nothing about lack of attendance and really have no idea how many locals attended vs. out-of-towners.

"You haven't been to that many Hukilau's, have you?" Well, five years isn't too shabby. In that time I've seen the event go through many ups and downs, including the near-closing of The Mai-Kai. I know for a fact it's been a gut-wrenching past five years for Tiki Kiliki, yet she manages to keep the event relevant, exciting and interesting. The three symposiums this year (featuring Jeff Berry, Sven Kirsten and Tim Glazner) were among the best I've seen.

So, please let's not jump to conclusions or get too emotional about this. I would never call out the locals for lack of participation. Everyone has their reasons for attending or not attending. My point is simply that we need more people, more fresh faces, more new ideas, more positive and enthusiastic participants in South Florida. That's just a necessity for any event to thrive and survive.

In the Poly Pop scene, South Florida is a mere shadow of California or even New York. And it doesn't really need to be that way. We have The Mai-Kai. We have great beaches, tons of vintage hotels, architecture, and tourist attractions that have no equal. I've always felt that we need to embrace all aspects of what the Sunshine State has to offer and be much more inclusive in welcoming newbies into the fold. As far as I'm concerned, we'll never have enough people involved. We should always be reaching out to attract more participation. As a promoter, that's what I do.

When I run into people who just discovered The Mai-Kai, or just discovered The Hukilau, it makes all the thankless work seem worthwhile. I just hope negative comments and behavior don't drive them away.

Please folks, let's try to take the high road and keep things moving in a positive direction, for everyone's sake.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heelgrinder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 8:45 pm   Permalink

It was the BEST Hukilau ever, and I will always be a Hukilau girl no matter what. It will always be the most honest Tiki event, with true aloha and Ohana spirit.

View Profile of heelgrinder Send a personal message to heelgrinder  Email heelgrinder Goto the website of heelgrinder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation