advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Keeping falernum longer
Keeping falernum longer
jpr9954

Posted: 2011-12-15 6:20 pm   Permalink

I've read the posts which say falernum can go bad over time and that it tends to lose its quality after about a month.

Is it possible to freeze homemade falernum syrup? I was thinking of freezing it in an ice cube tray.

I have a quart of Falernum #9 that I made from scratch and would hate to see all that effort wasted because I didn't use it quick enough.

Thanks!

View Profile of jpr9954 Send a personal message to jpr9954  Goto the website of jpr9954     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-12-16 08:49 am   Permalink

Your mileage may vary, but I've made that same recipe and the falernum stayed viable for about 2 months. Does it go bad after that? I'm not sure; I always run out.

I've not tried freezing it myself. Another option: split a whole batch with friends or family.

Kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-16 09:27 am   Permalink

Adding about 1 ounce of overproof rum for every 8 oz of falernum should extend the shelf life quite a bit.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-16 3:44 pm   Permalink

Agree with above. Put some alcohol in it and keep in the fridge. It's unlikely the quality will degrade very quickly. I tend to keep mixers for quite a while and they seem okay to me.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-16 7:45 pm   Permalink

John D. Taylor's Velvet Falernum liqueur is 22 proof. I've had a bottle open for nearly a year and don't notice any difference or degradation in flavor.

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-17 06:20 am   Permalink

I keep my JDT Velvet Falernum in the fridge. I don't know if it's necessary, but I figure it can't hurt.

Hmmmm...Maybe I should up the proof a little.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpr9954

Posted: 2011-12-18 08:41 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the suggestions. I topped it off with some Bacardi 151 and put it back in the fridge. I think it enhanced the flavor just a bit when I tasted it afterwards.

View Profile of jpr9954 Send a personal message to jpr9954  Goto the website of jpr9954     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mamelukkikala
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-18 11:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-15 18:20, jpr9954 wrote:
I've read the posts which say falernum can go bad over time and that it tends to lose its quality after about a month.

Really? I think homemade falernum is at its best when it's 1 month old. Right after I bottle it, it tastes really "icky" and off. After a week, it gets good. After two weeks, it's the most delicious thing ever. I make falernum #8 without the lime juice and keep it in the fridge. Stays good for atleast 5 months.

View Profile of mamelukkikala Send a personal message to mamelukkikala      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-19 10:04 am   Permalink

when I'm out of falernum and I want to make a drink or two calling for it, I make a small emergency quantity like this:

1 oz Wray and Nephew overproof rum
1 and 3/4 oz orgeat
1/2 oz lime juice
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger.

mix it up and use!

if you want to use immediately after making, filtering through a coffee filter or cheesecloth will may reduce some of the spiciness.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liltikichef
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-29 02:59 am   Permalink

I've been trying to find a good falernum recipe. Where do I find #8 and #9 y'all refer to in these posts?

View Profile of liltikichef Send a personal message to liltikichef      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-29 1:43 pm   Permalink

Falernum #9 is in here or try Google:
http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Bum-Berry-Remixed-Jeff/dp/1593621396/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327873302&sr=1-1

Falernum #8
http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2006/07/28/falernum-8/

6 ounces Wray & Nephew Overproof White Rum
zest of 9 medium limes, removed with a microplane grater or sharp vegetable peeler, with no traces of white pith
40 whole cloves (buy fresh ones not the cloves that have been in your spice rack since last Christmas)
1 1/2 ounce, by weight, peeled, julienned fresh ginger

Combine these ingredients in a jar and seal, letting the mixture soak for 24 hours. Then, strain through moistened cheesecloth, squeezing the solids to extract the last, flavorful bits of liquid.

Add:

1/4 teaspoon almond extract*
14 ounces cold process 2:1 simple syrup (two parts sugar to one part water, shaken in a jar or bottle WITHOUT HEAT until all the sugar is dissolved)
4 1/2 ounces fresh, strained lime juice

Shake it all together and serve.
* Chad Solomon from Pegu Club suggested adding some toasted almonds to the soak, in addition to using the almond extract. This sounds like a fine idea, and may be part of falernums 9, 10 and 11.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liltikichef
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-29 3:18 pm   Permalink

Thanks TikiSan! mamelukkikala, you mentioned you don't put the lime juice in #8; when and how much do you add later? (if you do) Thanks!

View Profile of liltikichef Send a personal message to liltikichef      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mamelukkikala
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-29 3:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-29 15:18, liltikichef wrote:
Thanks TikiSan! mamelukkikala, you mentioned you don't put the lime juice in #8; when and how much do you add later? (if you do) Thanks!

I don't add any extra lime juice at all. I think it's fine as it is in most drinks. Sometimes I might drop the amount of falernum just a little. For example, in Blackbeard's Ghost I use 3/4oz instead of 1oz. But it really depends on the mood, whether I want a sweet drink or a tart drink.

View Profile of mamelukkikala Send a personal message to mamelukkikala      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation